Is MCO and OIA the same thing?

gw_lit said:
Exactly, I forgot to mention W, which shows why Wichita is ICT. (Completely OT, I knew the reasons behind the designators MCI and BNA, but I can't find anything on why ICT. Any ideas Horace?)

According to the Wikipedia entry about Wichita Mid-Continent Airport:
The airport's ICT designation is actually an abbreviation for Wichita. At the time the Federal Communications Commission prohibited airports to have radio call signs starting with "K" or "W." Naming conventions of the time then called for the second letter of the city to be used and then use any phoentics to make it easier to identify.​

Horace Horsecollar said:
According to the Wikipedia entry about Wichita Mid-Continent Airport:
The airport's ICT designation is actually an abbreviation for Wichita. At the time the Federal Communications Commission prohibited airports to have radio call signs starting with "K" or "W." Naming conventions of the time then called for the second letter of the city to be used and then use any phoentics to make it easier to identify.​

Didn't think to check Wiki, sometimes I'm a little leary of the information that can be found there, but this makes sense though. Thanks Horace!

Y'know, I THOUGHT MCO was for McCoy- I remember landing there as a youngun in the 70's- but someone told me it stood for Mickey's Corporate Office. Guess they got me ;)

riaesq said:
Y'know, I THOUGHT MCO was for McCoy- I remember landing there as a youngun in the 70's- but someone told me it stood for Mickey's Corporate Office. Guess they got me ;)

It actually stands for........Mickey Created Orlando. :thumbsup2

gw_lit said:
Airport codes in the U.S. do not use N or K as a first letter.

Well, lets make this even more complicated. Actually, the "country code" pilots use for the USA is "K" (Kilo). So if you were filling a flight plan, coming from Newark to Orlando, you would file the origin point and destination point as...

KEWR
BIGGY
J75
CAE
J51
SAV
J103
OMN
BITHO7
KMCO

MCO = McCoy Air Force base which closed in 1974, its been said that the Space Shuttle could land at Orlando International because of the Long Runways which were designed for Military jets use. :smokin:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter