Is it worth it?

Unless you plan on making the drive a real 'part' of your vacation, i.e. - pit stops and taking in the area attractions on the way, or are on an extremely tight budget this trip, I would definitely fly! Being on the road for more than 5-6 hours is torture - well, to me anyway!

we drive 14 hours one way since 1998, and my 6 year old also is EXTREMELY hyperactive....................the portable dvd players make a big difference....but we love the drive, the challenge of getting there, excitment about getting there i print off park maps for the kids and they write on them, planning their own routes, circling their favorites, making their plans, we watch the trip planning dvds and home disney trip movies on the way....on the way home, the current trip videos......by the way, travel sickness medication also has the additional side effect of "drowsiness" which has helped my 6 year old as he also will get car sick occasionally......

Another deciding factor that no one has mentioned is the value of your time. We were facing a 21 hour each way drive to a family reunion. Southwest discounted tickets and it ended up being cheaper to fly. (how often does that happen?) But the real factor was DH missing work when he is self-employed. He would have missed over a week of work. Now it is 3 days of work.

So what is the real value of your time? Divide that $400 by the number of days you will be traveling, and that would give you your answer.

KinderTchr said:
and the legal adult is now employed and won't be going with us.

LOL :rotfl2: This statement just struck me as so funny! I think I hear a little sarcasm there! :rotfl:

kuusimo said:
Another deciding factor that no one has mentioned is the value of your time.

You are absolutely right. DH & I are both self-employed also. You can't put a price tag on your time.

I can tell you that later in life I wouldn't be saying, "Wow, we have an extra $400 in the bank that we didn't spend that one year when we drove to Disney". My words would be more like, "Remember that trip to Disney in 2006 & what a great time we had? It was so nice to be able to spend so much time there!" :goodvibes

$400 can easily get eaten up while "on the road." Car expenses, food, drink, stops, etc. - all add up. Plus you need to think about the time you are missing by not being on vacation or miss out of work.

I would not drive to save $400.

Best of luck in making your decision.

pirate: i would totally fly!!!
i have 4 kids-8,7,6 and 4 and we are going in Dec. It would be cheaper to fly, ( and we have done it) but it is so relaxing to fly. I save small treats so everyone is excited to get on and off the plane. It's my vacation too, and if it really means that i could have a little bit less stuff. . okay.

Have you looked into the train? We live in Upstate Ny and are drving to Virgina, which is 5 hours, to get on the auto train. Prices where cheaper than flying, plus we have our mini van and don't have to rent a car! We paid $1099. for 3 adults 3 kids, which would have cost more to fly. I understand about your concerns, all three of my girls going has ADHD! There was no eay I was driving 24 hrs in car with them! My girls are excited to take the train, and most of the ride the will be asleep!!!

With what I often get SW for in Albany, that's looking expensive to me. It depends on when you are going of course, but SW is often $49 - $59 per person each way. YOu could have driven to Albany (a lot closer) stayed in the stay and park ($110) across the street, and flown out of here, IMO. Time wise, a savings, as well as a little cash savings.

Maybe you are going at a crowded time? I think the most we have paid, during winter break was $79 each way per person.

heartsy77 said:
Have you looked into the train? We live in Upstate Ny and are drving to Virgina, which is 5 hours, to get on the auto train. Prices where cheaper than flying, plus we have our mini van and don't have to rent a car! We paid $1099. for 3 adults 3 kids, which would have cost more to fly. I understand about your concerns, all three of my girls going has ADHD! There was no eay I was driving 24 hrs in car with them! My girls are excited to take the train, and most of the ride the will be asleep!!!

When you calculated that savings, did you take into acct. that by not driving there's also car rental and gas?

If that $400 savings is taking into acct. the road food and a hotel stay, then I'd drive it. I'd rather use that for character meals than a flight. We used to drive 15 hrs. from TX to Orlando, and by leaving about 6 p.m. and driving through the night, the kids were calm. They watched TV, played Gameboy, and slept. My dh and I took shifts behind the wheel. It was so painless that we even did this for a 2 nt. stay once. We'd arrive about 10 a.m. and hit the parks, but we'd call it an early night (6 p.m.).

Flying out of Albany was a thought, but we are going at the end of January and I didn't want to drive to Albany throught the snow! Plus if we where flying I would want a direct route, no changing planes with 3 kids !

heartsy77 said:
Plus if we where flying I would want a direct route, no changing planes with 3 kids !
We're direct with Southwest. In under three hours (plus the hour at the airport) and we are there.
The best thing is to come the day before, so you have leeway in case of snow. The hotel across from the airport is nice and we sometimes rent a room in the winter for the grands, to swim and just have fun with grandma. Then you can leave your car for the week at no extra charge. Our fares have been so competitive, it's really been worth the trip. Last week the ding was for $45 each way!

I don't remember but will they need to rent a car? We never rent a car at WDW. We stay on site and use Disney transportation and ME. Whatever you decide I hope you have a great trip! princess:

We drove last September from NJ- about 18 hours on the way down- broke it up into 2 days on the way back. This year we are flying- I figured we'd save about the same $400 if we drove- but the following factors are why I wouldn't drive.

First, wear and tear on car- an expense whether it seems concrete or not. The minivan was trashed and I mean trashed when we got back from snacks, entertainment, drinks, you name it. Plus it now had an extra 3000 miles on it.

Second, all the small unforseen expenses to occupy two young children in the car- puzzle books, games, snacks, candy, and all the stuff that entails.

Third, food on the way down and up- we packed lunches for the way down- but of course still had dinner, then the way up had to pay for all the meals plus one night at a hotel.

Fourth, putting yourself in harms way. I think statistically its safer to fly then drive, but also when you think about it, some of the rest stops can be scary and alot of hotels off the highways can be kind of scary too.

Fifth- time is money. My DH and I figured out our time is worth money too. Think of that $400 dollars spread over 38 hours (both ways)- that works out to 10.52 cents for the whole family per hour of traveling. OK, say by the time you take the plane and get home round trip the whole thing is say 12 hours total- that's still 26 hours extra of driving, divided by 400- 15.38 per hour saved. My time is worth more than 15.38!!!!

I have strong feelings about driving long distances, to me they are boring and endless. You are exhausted when you arrive and then have that drive to look forward to when you are leaving. A lot of people I know drive from NJ and they say, its not problem, its easy- but unless you love sitting in a moving vehicle and staring out a window- I'd definetly fly! Good luck in your decision!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter