Is it worth it?

If spending the extra $400 will cause you to regret your decision to fly during the trip I would say that you need to drive.

We've driven 13 hours with children and we've flown there a few times as well. We have been able to take advantage of the Magical Express by staying on site and had free transportation to and from the airport provided by Disney. You will certainly be more refreshed upon arrival if you fly.

Because of our flight schedules, we have been able to add 2 more park days with the same amount of vacation time taken (compared to driving).

For me it is the reverse. I can't stand flying- with 4 kids it is a nightmare- all the stuff and then trying to keep the 2 little ones quiet and happy. YIKES that is stress in my book. But when it was just 4 of us total (we had one on one man defense with the kids) we would fly. Quicker and easier. Now for us it is easier to drive. In your situation, I think I would fly. Our trip is 16 hours and actually not that bad. UNLESS we hit traffic. We do stop overnight so add that cost into your planning(you can get a CLEAN decent room for around $70 a night on I95- some cheaper but scary locations- once in off season we had a $31 night rate on a Fairfield Inn :cool1: ) I would say take the $ out of it and which would you all prefer. $400 is a lot of $ but to me not make or break the decision kind of $(that is assuming $400 total)
For us airfare for 6 far outweighs the cost of driving.

Here is the reply I just posted to another thread on this topic:

The "fly vs. drive" equation is not a simple one. We discuss it here often. It depends on a lot of factors like where you live, how many in your family, where you will be staying in Florida, etc.

For us, let's say I could get airfare for $150 RT. That's $450 for the 3 of us, $600 if one of our moms comes with us (like on our next trip in November). Add airport parking of $60 and another $20 for tips at the airport. That comes to $680. A rental minivan would be about $400 for the week. So total is about $1,100 to fly.

Now look at driving. We spend less than $250 on gas (and that includes gas used in Florida which we would have to pay for either way). One nite in a motel each way for about $50 each brings the total to $350. Throw in $30 for an oil change when we get back and you are still under $400.

So for us, it's roughly $400 vs. $1,100. Your results may vary.

It would be a total of $400 savings for the whole family. We wouldn't stay in a hotel on the way down or back. My husband is a straight through driver. We would leave at 8 or 9 at night so the kids would sleep. I wouldn't mind the drive if I could read or do something like that. I get major motion sickness so basically I would just have to sit there. As for figuring out the cost to drive, my husband's SUV is fairly new and he gets $12 oil changes. He always keeps track of his mileage so I took the lowest miles per gallon he has gotten, looked up the distance and figured $3.00/gal for gas. Then I added an extra $100 for food and whatever. We are staying on site and don't have any side trips planned. We did Sea World and Cape Canaveral last year so we won't do those again. Won't need a rental car. Airport parking is $65. We never get skycaps or anything at the airports so we don't have to tip anyone. I can't think of anything else. Maybe someone could explain this Ding thing that everyone is talking about? :confused3

I should have added that he gets his oil changes at the dealer and I figured $3 for gas since that is what it is around here. Maybe it is more expensive between Indiana and Florida.

No way in H-E-double-hockey-sticks would I drive...

Personally, I couldn't consider 4 days worth of driving as part of ANY vacation unless the specific point is the road trip to see sights along the way (such as Highway 101 in Cali, or something).

Driving to save $400 bucks would ruin my vacation... The stress and exhaustion of spending two days to get there and two days back would negate the fun I'd have while Iw as actually there....

JMHO... ;)

IMO, Only you can make this decision because only you know how much $400 matters in your family/ budget.

Early in our marriage, in the days of paying off DH's student loans, saving for the first home basically getting established, it would have been an easy decision for us because every vacation had to be done as cheaply as possible. In those days, we would have definitly driven.

Now, we would fly. We don't enjoy long car drives with children. Nor would we want to arrive at our destination exhausted from a straight through drive.
Now we are able to put a value on our time and don't want to spend several of our vacation days driving.

Good Luck with your decision.

disneyfreakk said:
When you figured out the cost to drive to WDW, did you check the cost of gas at every place you are planning on filling up? Gas prices vary ALOT! So that is something to think about.

Also, if you decide to stop and spend the night somewhere that's going to cost at lease $80 for something cheap, if you do that each way that's $160.00. You will need to stop and eat along the way and I know everytime we stop for gas our kids always want a snack so go ahead and figure in at least $100 for food & snacks along the way. So for a cheap hotel room and food you're up to $260.00. That's really only about $140.00 savings by not flying, and then the cost of gas can vary from state to state.

We live 10 hours aways and usually drive because 10 hours is not too bad. Last year we flew because we had a new addition, we had DS8, DD5 & DD 3 months. We also got Southwest for $39 each way.

This Sept. if we can get a good price for airfare, we'll fly but right now Southwest is $96.00. We just got back from the beach, a 3-1/2 hour drive and DD almost 1 cried all the way there and all the way back. I'm not looking forward to 10 hours of that. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Southwest to lower prices.

lnh'smom said:
It would be a total of $400 savings for the whole family. We wouldn't stay in a hotel on the way down or back. My husband is a straight through driver. We would leave at 8 or 9 at night so the kids would sleep. I wouldn't mind the drive if I could read or do something like that. I get major motion sickness so basically I would just have to sit there. As for figuring out the cost to drive, my husband's SUV is fairly new and he gets $12 oil changes. He always keeps track of his mileage so I took the lowest miles per gallon he has gotten, looked up the distance and figured $3.00/gal for gas. Then I added an extra $100 for food and whatever. We are staying on site and don't have any side trips planned. We did Sea World and Cape Canaveral last year so we won't do those again. Won't need a rental car. Airport parking is $65. We never get skycaps or anything at the airports so we don't have to tip anyone. I can't think of anything else. Maybe someone could explain this Ding thing that everyone is talking about? :confused3
The one thing I don't see here is the cost of getting from the airport to WDW. That can be expensive.

Pros for flying: Everyone arrives well-rested; more vacation time; no need for hotel, meals on the road

Pros for driving: Saves money; having a car available is nice for a grocery store trip, etc.; good time to have quiet time with the kids; no restrictions on luggage weight

For my family, I'd choose driving. My girls have been doing long-distance driving trips since they were babies, and they are wonderful travelers. It's a learned skill.

As far as getting from the airport to WDW, I was planning to use WDW's shuttle service. Can't remember the name off hand, Magic Express maybe? I heard that it was free till Dec but then I don't know what they will charge.

We drive every year from michigan. But we also like to make little side trips on the way home. To the beach or the mountains, Biltmore house, etc. different place every year.

Yep, only you can decide! The magical express will not cost you anything and my parents said that it went very smoothly for them last year.

Are you renting a car in Florida? If not then all you probably need to factor is airport parking.

I have 4 kids so I have usually chosen to drive every time we go somewhere because the deciding factor was so large. For a difference of $400 I would probably fly. For us it is usually a difference of $1200 to fly and $300 to drive. One time we rented a van to drive from VA to San Antonio to visit my husband's family. Our van had alot of miles on it so we thought it would be better to rent. I paid $400 to rent through hotwire. Picked up the van at the airport so we paid $6/day to park our old van. Plus we had all the gas there and back. We drove straight through both ways. On the way back at about 7am my husband was fighting not falling asleep so I took over. I got on the road and the speed limit was 70. I set my cruise at 70. I was driving fine and not falling asleep but kind of in a zombie mode. I did not realize that I hit construction area in NC (which was 55mph). Cops were everywhere at 7am, Sunday, weekend after Thanksgiving. The ticket cost me $300. Suspended my ability to drive in NC because I was 15miles over speed limit. Just moved to GA and had a hard time changing my license because NC never took it off my record. A big headache.

We should have flown! Not counting the stress on our bodies!

I would definitely fly.
When we take our trip, we will have a 2 year old and a 4 year old. No way would I put them in the car for that long.. it would be a huge headache and I think they would be miserable.
I think our 4 year old will be just as excited about the plane as he will be about WDW :)

KristiKelly said:
Also, if you decide to stop and spend the night somewhere that's going to cost at lease $80 for something cheap
We drive to Disney every year and we rarely pay more than $45 for a hotel along I-95, and often less. Occasionally, we've splurged for a better place and paid about $69 but I don't think we've ever spent $80. There's no need to spend that much as there are plenty of nice places under $50.

disneysteve said:
We drive to Disney every year and we rarely pay more than $45 for a hotel along I-95, and often less. Occasionally, we've splurged for a better place and paid about $69 but I don't think we've ever spent $80. There's no need to spend that much as there are plenty of nice places under $50.

We usually stop in Brunswick Georgia at a Comfort or Days Inn,hardly the Mariott, 2 years ago it was $72 with tax (that was from Expedia). We stayed in a place one year for $45 it was really small and it smelled like cat urine, we moved to a different room and it smelled like smoke and we were in non-smoking. Maybe it's the time of year or the town we stop in but that's been our experience with cheaper rooms. We try to stop in a well known safe area.

Carrie Ellis said:
Yep, only you can decide! The magical express will not cost you anything and my parents said that it went very smoothly for them last year.

Are you renting a car in Florida? If not then all you probably need to factor is airport parking.

I have 4 kids so I have usually chosen to drive every time we go somewhere because the deciding factor was so large. For a difference of $400 I would probably fly. For us it is usually a difference of $1200 to fly and $300 to drive. One time we rented a van to drive from VA to San Antonio to visit my husband's family. Our van had alot of miles on it so we thought it would be better to rent. I paid $400 to rent through hotwire. Picked up the van at the airport so we paid $6/day to park our old van. Plus we had all the gas there and back. We drove straight through both ways. On the way back at about 7am my husband was fighting not falling asleep so I took over. I got on the road and the speed limit was 70. I set my cruise at 70. I was driving fine and not falling asleep but kind of in a zombie mode. I did not realize that I hit construction area in NC (which was 55mph). Cops were everywhere at 7am, Sunday, weekend after Thanksgiving. The ticket cost me $300. Suspended my ability to drive in NC because I was 15miles over speed limit. Just moved to GA and had a hard time changing my license because NC never took it off my record. A big headache.

We should have flown! Not counting the stress on our bodies!

:eek: Holy smokes! That sucks!!! Yuck! I'm so sorry you had to go through that... :guilty:

KristiKelly said:
We usually stop in Brunswick Georgia at a Comfort or Days Inn,hardly the Mariott, 2 years ago it was $72 with tax (that was from Expedia).
For future reference, rather than booking in advance, stop at the state welcome center and pick up the RoomSaver guide with the hotel specials. I don't have the Georgia book handy, but I'm looking at a recent copy of the N. Carolina guide. Just as an example, for Fayetteville area along 95, Ramada is $38.99, Quality Inn is $34.99, Red Roof is $49.99, Comfort Inn is $49.99, Sleep Inn is $59.95, Hampton Inn is $54.95, etc. Rates for Fri and Sat nites are usually $5 more.

I'd fly for sure!

When I lived in SC it was about a 9 hr drive. That was definitely worth it to drive. We would load up the kids and drive mostly at night so the kids would sleep most of the way. My parents also did that with my sis and I when we were kids.

In 02 we drove from Austin TX - approx. 21 hour drive. Had to have 2 extra nights in hotel and lost 4 days due to travel time. Kids were 6, 8, and just turned 18. Newly 18 yr old just about drove us completely crazy constantly talking about how she was "now a legal adult and could do as she pleased."
DH's back hurt so badly after all the driving that he couldn't enjoy the parks. He had a massage at the GF and then felt better.

We are going again in Dec. Airline tickets are booked. It will be the first flight for DS now 14, DD now 11 and the legal adult is now employed and won't be going with us.

Kaye

Two-four whole days in the car with the kids? I would fly. We live 15 hours away, and we have never driven. But some people LOVE road trips. For me, it would spoil the trip.

We're driving from New Orleans to WDW this July. My family has only flown to Disney once, and when we were kids, we ALWAYS drove. It was kind of fun because we each had "lap desks" and would get new coloring books for the occassion. :artist: We also played games in the car to help the time go by faster.

I suggest stopping halfway and spending the night somewhere. If you left your house around dinnertime, your kids would probably fall asleep before you get to the hotel, easing the drive a little. Then you'll be halfway there and the drive won't be NEARLY as bad. :thumbsup2

If you have a laptop, buy a car outlet charger thing, and let the kids pick out movies to watch on the trip. That's my new favorite thing to do. I plan on checking out my favorite TV show from the library and watching it the whole way to Disney.

IMO, the drive was always half the fun. :drive: I've got lots of memories of my family during road trips. Plus, it adds to the anticipation and makes it so much sweeter once you finally get to Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter