• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it still worth it?

I have to disagree with the pool comparison. We just got back from SSR. my 16 year old son and 4 year old daughter LOVED the pool and slide. They both convinced us to take a day off of the parks to spend at the pool. The unofficial WDW guide (Widely considered the best guide to WDW) rates the SSR pool complex one of the top 3 pools in all of WDW.

I have to agree, the pool at SSR is awesome-our kids had such a great time in it! Even my DD1 used the little slide over and over and over.....:)

What makes DVC a better choice than other on site choice, or other choices off Disney property? I can easily offer my rationale as to why DVC was and is better for us but I can't do it for anyone else.

However, with that said some things to consider would include (but not be limited to).

1. Do you like WDW enough to go every other year, every year, or more often than once a year? Then maybe DVC is for you.

2. Does your spouse/significant other like WDW well enough to go every other year, every year, or more often than once a year? Then maybe DVC is for you.

2. Does your "family" prefer to stay on-site? Then maybe DVC is for you.

3. Do you tend to stay at moderate or better resorts? Then maybe DVC is for you.

4. Can you really afford DVC, including the maintenance fees? Then maybe DVC is for you.

5. Have you done enough research that you can say you have a reasonable understanding of how DVC works, what's the best use of points, etc? Then DVC may be for you.

Other things to consider would include how many people there are in your family, what size unit you would typically use, how flexible you are in terms of when you can take your vacations, your eating habits when you are at WDW (and I'm sure there are a host of things I have left out).

If you love WDW, if you tend to go at least once every other year, it you prefer to stay on site at moderate or better resorts then DVC is something to consider. But, make sure you think it through, ask lots of questions, run the numbers and then think about it some more. After all of that, maybe you will decide that DVC makes sense (or not) for your family.

When you say it is not worth it to stay in other places, I am confused. I can stay in other countries for 124 points for 8 days. I can stay in Canada for 8 points a night. Isn't that a better value and worth it? Maybe I am missing something? I am brand new, don't even have my paperwork yet and trying to learn.

That's probably fine. What's being discussed here is staying at other places ON WDW PROPERTY. There's a consensus that it's best to use points for DVC resorts rather than for other WDW resorts. If you prefer other WDW resorts it is best not to buy.

Do you think DVC membership is still worth it if someone likes to stay at the hotels instead of their home resort. I am considering membership but with a DD10 and DS8 I am more inclined to stay at some more kid friendly hotels(Poly,CSR etc) than at SSR where the memberships are being sold right now.

Or is the exchange rate on points too steep that it makes it not a good value?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Everyone had good advice on using DVC at regular resorts. So I'll leave that....

But really DVC resorts are kid friendly.

Once you get your kids at the DVC resorts you might just save on park tickets!

For example, I couldn't get my nephews out of the SSR "Community Hall" or the arcade in May. Especially Community Hall (all kinds of games and activities) That is another DVC area that some kids love that is not at regular resorts. I'm not sure which DVC resorts have Community Hall but SSR, BWV and OKW have it for sure.

Some preteens/teens like to hangout at OKW according to DVC families. I mean geez the main area in OKW is appealing to me too (CH, boating, fastfood area, basketball court, volleyball??) And notice they are not even in the pool yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rotfl:

Plus, they have weekly activities scheduled at all DVC resorts for all areas.

Just saying don't underestimate the perk of Community Hall and the DVC resort layouts in general.

All the best to you,

Lisa

I am considering membership but with a DD10 and DS8 I am more inclined to stay at some more kid friendly hotels(Poly,CSR etc) than at SSR where the memberships are being sold right now.

As soon as I read this I knew the "kid friendly" comment would be a lightning rod.

I'd like to go at it from a different angle. DVC is a vacation accommodation contract for the next 35-47 years (or 50 with AKV). It makes no sense at all to base a DVC purchase on little ones and pools and slides, IMHO. They will only be children for a relatively short period of your total contract.

Now if you intend to sell after 10 years of ownership, it could make sense. But that potentially could be an expensive way to vacation depending on the resale market pricing.

As soon as I read this I knew the "kid friendly" comment would be a lightning rod.

I'd like to go at it from a different angle. DVC is a vacation accommodation contract for the next 35-47 years (or 50 with AKV). It makes no sense at all to base a DVC purchase on little ones and pools and slides, IMHO. They will only be children for a relatively short period of your total contract.

Now if you intend to sell after 10 years of ownership, it could make sense. But that potentially could be an expensive way to vacation depending on the resale market pricing.

My boys are 5 & 10, all they care about at this moment is they get a resort with a pool(youngest would probably be scared of that clown slide) and DM & DD shell out the points for a 2br so they get their own beds. I assume this will be more important as they get older and if they forget I'll remind them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter