Is it safe to rent from David’s DVC?

<<I’m leery about renting off David’s because I have read bad things people have said on the Disboard.
Now I’m not sure if I should book the Poly or just cancel and get my deposit back? Any advice would be appreciated. >>

I do not know what you have read on the DisBoard that you are referring to. I have rented from David's for our next two trips; one in Oct and a split stay in Feb. Although our trips have not been completed yet, I am very happy with all of our communications, transactions, etc. thus far. I always thoroughly research prior to any purchase I make and they appeared to be the best "bet".

<<I’m leery about renting off David’s because I have read bad things people have said on the Disboard.
Now I’m not sure if I should book the Poly or just cancel and get my deposit back? Any advice would be appreciated. >>

I do not know what you have read on the DisBoard that you are referring to. I have rented from David's for our next two trips; one in Oct and a split stay in Feb. Although our trips have not been completed yet, I am very happy with all of our communications, transactions, etc. thus far. I always thoroughly research prior to any purchase I make and they appeared to be the best "bet".

Things during this year have not been handled well by the company and both owners and renters have had issues.

So, I’d be careful in making sure one understands his new contract in terms of voucher, etc.

I would not use him again as an owner to rent my points but everyone needs to decide.

<<Things during this year have not been handled well by the company and both owners and renters have had issues. >>

Like what?

It’s a long thread but definitely worth reading if you’re contemplating renting from David’s. The way that they have dealt with both owners and renters in this situation has not been ideal and very inconsistent from one owner or renter to the next. But one thing that has been consistent is that David’s has operated in a manner that puts David’s first and the customer last.

Owners who had booked reservations during the closure were first asked to refund the money they received from David’s even though their points were either gone (expired) or had very little time left to use them. Owners who reached out to ask if their renter wanted to cancel before it was too late to save their points were told to wait for Disney to cancel the reservation. Owners who wished to refund cash to their renters were told NO.

Renters who had reservations during the shutdown were initially told that there was a no cancellations/no refunds policy, even though the renter was not the one cancelling the reservation. It took weeks before David’s settled upon their voucher scheme, whereby the renter was offered an I.O.U. from David’s instead of a refund. Renters on that thread were encouraged by fellow posters to initiate a chargeback on their credit cards instead of accepting a voucher. Many have been successful.

There are also incidents of David’s lying to either owners or renters. Telling renters that the owner refused to re-rent their reservation when the owner offered to do it twice. Telling owners that the renter wanted a voucher (Could you please refund monies received in order to fund the voucher?), when the renter asked repeatedly for a refund instead.

Since the re-opening, David’s appears to be trying to play nice. Owners are being paid even if the renter is a no-show. Renters who still won’t travel, especially those from foreign countries and states with quarantine regulations, are being offered partial cash refunds if their reservation can be re-rented, or vouchers. I think they are in damage control mode now.

On a personal level, I won’t use them to rent out my points.Their new owner’s contract puts all of the risk of a shutdown on the owner. David’s takes none of the risk. I’m not going to accept that. And neither should any other owner. So, no VGF from me. No BWV. No AKV. And soon, no Poly points. David’s burned that bridge with a lot of owners. And without owners agreeing to rent out their points, David’s doesn’t have a solid business model. No owners offering their points for rental means those people with vouchers will have a hard time using them, or they will have to settle for whatever is available at 7 months or less.

The thing to keep in mind when renting is the non refundable nature of the rental. Are you willing, in the middle of a pandemic, to make a non-refundable reservation? Regardless of the party on the other side - Davids or another broker or a private individual. Keeping in mind that even if the contract says its refundable, that isn't going to help if the company or person on the other end goes bankrupt (local news right now is full of engaged couples losing thousands in deposits because the restaurant they booked for their grooms dinner hasn't made it through. I have clients I used to bill monthly that I bill weekly because I suspect they will be stiffing me sometime in early 2021.) It has always been the case that DVC rentals save money for people who can afford to lose the whole amount if something goes wrong - it has just now become obvious that is the case.

I won't be renting my points out through David's again after that whole last debacle. What a mess. They didn't honor their own contract. Will probably just rent them myself through disboards.

I wouldn't suggest renting from them unless you're willing to accept a 100% loss of any monies you pay them.

when things are good, Davids is easy to use and provides a nice discount. we used them lots of times. unfortunately, since Covid hit it's been a whole different story. really wishing i hadn't booked my two 2020 trips with them. i'd stay away from them for now.

After reading what this company did to my friends on both sides of the transaction, I would not do business with them.

If you must, I would buy a dedicated reservation.

There are plenty of points for rent from humans here for fair prices, I don't see why you wouldn't do that.

Or, just book at Pop. Nothing wrong with good ole Pop. Or, book off site. When I sent a relative around opening time, Wyndham Bonnet Creek was on Priceline for a steal. There are no fast passes or extended hours anyway. So, what difference is an Uber from the airport at this point?

While reservations at David's (or any rental broker) have always been nonrefundable, the huge red flag that has come to light with this pandemic is that it's truly nonrefundable regardless of fault (at least at David's). I have read that many renters have become stuck with David's vouchers during the resort closure, which sounds like difficult to redeem at best.

Ultimately, if someone is okay with paying for something that they might not get anything of value in return, then it's fine to deal with David's. Otherwise, I would at least try other more reputable brokers, and this is coming from an owner who have had positive experiences before the pandemic and not currently involved in any of these misfortunes. I just feel all future renters should be warned about potential risks with this particular business.

LAX

I have read that many renters have become stuck with David's vouchers during the resort closure, which sounds like difficult to redeem at best.

Not only did he issue vouchers, but he also raised the prices being charged per point. So even for an equivalent season/length of stay, the vouchers now buy fewer points than they originally booked. Timing on this, to the renetrs, is doing a dirty.

Not only did he issue vouchers, but he also raised the prices being charged per point. So even for an equivalent season/length of stay, the vouchers now buy fewer points than they originally booked. Timing on this, to the renetrs, is doing a dirty.
That is dirty. Wow! Are there any more brokers that are more trustworthy?

That is dirty. Wow! Are there any more brokers that are more trustworthy?

To be fair, his prices were raised before the pandemic and the 2021 points charts were done prior to it as well,

So, the voucher being worth less is a combination of that. Of course, he could have allowed renters to still pay the old rates with only paying more because of point charts, but did not.

For what it's worth, I rented from David's in late July or early August for a mid-September trip. I held my breath ONLY because of it being hurricane season. I did buy insurance, although I didn't research it too well. Anyway, we had a WONDERFUL 5 night stay at BCV. I am grateful for the opportunity to rent at a discounted rate. Again, it's not for the feint of heart.....but....it is what it is.

We might be an outlier (and this is incomplete because we haven’t even gone yet) but we’ve had a perfectly fine experience with David’s. My parents had rented a BCV studio for this past April and obviously it was cancelled. (We rented through the rent/trade forum here from an owner directly because we were looking for a 2BR and a post opened up just as we were about reserve through David’s). We were freaked out because we knew the reservation was nonrefundable but David’s took care of my folks and never once made them feel like they were stuck.

They decided to accept the voucher and when we could re-book David’s found a BCV studio for the same upcoming weeks in April of 2021 pretty much as soon as the 11 month mark hit. In fact because of the re-allocation of points by DVC we were able to add one extra day for just about the same price in the voucher.

As others have mentioned, the increase in price per point occurred before the pandemic. If I recall correctly it happened in early 2019. I don’t know if they’ve raised prices again.

Last edited:
I rented from a private party for CA, now out over $1800. It's not just the brokers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter