IS it legal for employer to make you take a personality test?

Grumpy's Gal

DIS Veteran
is it legal to request all employees to take a personality test?

If requested, would you take one?

This came up in discussion over the weekend. About twenty years ago, my employer said we were REQUIRED to take one. Just curious if it was legal.

Depends on where the employer is located I would think. It also depends on what questions are asked. If it ventures into someone asking deeply personal questions that might get into how the employee is in a protected class, then it probably is illegal. If the results are used to discriminate against someone on the basis of being in a protected class, then it probably is illegal. But it would depend on what questions are asked.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/can-employer-require-me-take-personality-test.html

@bcla is correct, if it's fishing for certain info it's illegal, if it's trying to determine if you're a fit, it's ok. I've done them for every professional job I've ever had. I've also done Meyers Briggs when on large teams to determine what works OR what we might be lacking,

As long as they don't violate any protected statuses, they're typically legal, laws vary from state to state, so you would have to look specifically at your legislation. For employees that are "at will", provided the test isn't in violation, your employer could in theory let you go for not taking one.

I've taken them, I think they're kind of interesting. I wouldn't make hiring decisions based solely on one, but I think they're interesting in some team building situations.

I’ve taken several personality tests and I can’t think of any questions that were treading on discrimination categories (gender, race, religion, etc). Most would fall under things that might be asked during an interview, so I can’t see any issue with expanding upon a few questions into a full test.

Like any question during the interview process, you can refuse to answer/participate. But then the employer can chose to not hire you.

We don't hire anyone without running a McQuaig Word Survey (a temperament analysis) and having it professionally evaluated. We've learned beyond shadow of doubt what qualities make a person successful in what role and what are disqualifiers. It's uncanny how accurately the right "profile" predicts a good fit. I've never known a candidate to object to taking it and if they did the interview process would end there.

I worked for the Government, and they required it, luckily they didnt have one before I was hired . actually I heard thru the grape vine, they were looking to weed off future employees that might become violent

I work for a large health system, and it's a requirement for every person who makes it to the interview stage. We use different tests for front-line workers vs. managers, as well.

We don't hire anyone without running a McQuaig Word Survey (a temperament analysis) and having it professionally evaluated. We've learned beyond shadow of doubt what qualities make a person successful in what role and what are disqualifiers. It's uncanny how accurately the right "profile" predicts a good fit. I've never known a candidate to object to taking it and if they did the interview process would end there.

My husband’s company requires a personality profile test as well and I agree with you that it is spot on! Not only did it indicate how well or poor a placement might be but they had some people move within the company to a position that met their profile and they performed better and were happier. One day my husband brought the test home for us to take and it was such a great tool for us to use in regards to our marriage and why we communicate, react, behave a certain way. We did it for fun but he really helped us understand each other better!

I have in every job that I have had. The ones I took are geared toward the culture of the company and what your role would be, and how you would fit in and if you could excel in the position, or if you were better suited for a different position..

I got a job as a receptionist in a Nursing home... after a month or two... We had an instance with the activity director was going to be out sick on Halloween ( which is truth there was a struggle going on between the activity director and administrations at the time), and there was no-one to take charge, so in stand up ( morning meeting), she asked if anyone had any ideas... I spoke up and said what if we do this... then she said great your in charge... and just do what you want, here are the keys to the activity room, go for it... so for the next 2 days without any direction... I worked on the preschooler's coming to tricker treat, candy bags, working with dietary for a special luncheon, the resident Halloween party... finding and creating some masks, crowns, hats and simple costumes for the resident's to wear, we did dunking for apples and used a grab stick, we played spider bingo, getting entertainment... We had a wonderful time... The Residents and staff all got into the Halloween Spirit, it was a truly fun day...

So the following Monday.. My Boss called me into her office and said that they were not using me to my fullest potential... She said she read the results of the test, and the reason that she just let me do what I wanted was to see how I handled working with all the other disciplines, and if I could make it happen....and that we had the best Halloween day, that even the staff was talking about how much fun it was... She said she was shocked at what the test results said about me, and how I handle everything was on point...

Then said she had a better fit for me... As the Activity director... I said I don't have the qualifications for this job, she said you will, we will pay for you to get your certificate, and with that I became a activity director...

Last edited:
Whenever I've had to take these types of tests formally or informally, I always pretend to be Napoleon Bonaparte. It makes things much more interesting.

I've become interested in these M-B classifications recently and have concluded they are a bunch of BS, LOL.
If you're testing for a job interview, anyone can create the answers they think others are looking for and become any type. Introverts become extroverts, feelers become sensors, etc.

What the tests do are a decent job at are helping us to see that we're not alone. Chances are there are no perfect fits for any personality type.

I believe that for a company to make individual take these tests, or some form of, before offering or denying a job offer shows that the company has no faith in their ability to hire the right people and encourage/train them appropriately. I would not want to be a part of any such mess of a company.

Last edited:
I never really thought about it, but I have had to take one before. I did end up getting the job, so I guess I passed.

Essentially, most of the job applications I've done for retail have been like these! It gets ridiculous. Boots, a pharmacy chain in the UK was the worst one with a long, confusing set of questions, some of which conflicted with each other. I got through to interview purely because I was doing it in a Disney resort room and so had the Disney magic or something!! :confused3

I've become interested in these M-B classifications recently and have concluded they are a bunch of BS, LOL.
If you're testing for a job interview, anyone can create the answers they think others are looking for and become any type. Introverts become extroverts, feelers become sensors, etc.

What the tests do are a decent job at are helping us to see that we're not alone. Chances are there are no perfect fits for any personality type.

I believe that for a company to make individual take these tests, or some form of, before offering or denying a job offer shows that the company has no faith in their ability to hire the right people and encourage/train them appropriately. I would not want to be a part of any such mess of a company.
Some companies do credit checks too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter