Is DL A Nice Place?

I get sticky and sweaty at Disneyland in the summer in this "dry heat" you all speak of. To me...I don't notice a huge difference but maybe because I just hate it all. I don't know how people enjoy living in places that are hot year round.

I have been to both. I grew up going to Disneyland and it is my first love. MK does not hold a candle to Disneyland. Disneyland has a much more spacious feel to it and in my opinion much more time was taken when they were creating the lands. You will be amazed that there are fewer facades (sp) used and more real buildings if that makes sense. I also totally agree that you can't beat the fact that you can just walk when you want to get somewhere! You will have a great time!

I get sticky and sweaty in dry heat, too. But, for me, the difference is that I don't start that way as soon as I walk out of the door, like happens when in places with high humidity.

That's why the weather sites report "real feel" temps now. The humidity will always bring the "real feel" of the high temps higher and the low temps lower. Humidity accentuates the feeling of heat or cold. I'll pick a 90 degree day in CA (or AZ for that matter) over a 90 degree day in FL (or the midwest for that matter) any day.

I will attest that hot is hot whether it's dry or not.

I still have not been able to decide if a humid heat is worse than the convection oven heat of the West.

Heat index of 110 versus actual heat of 110 are about the same IMHO. You can typically escape a dry 110 by finding some shade but I've found that a stroll in the sun is far more excruciating than sweating it out when the heat "index" is 110.

They both suck equally.

That being said, my first humid Summer was far more pleasurable than a typical California Summer. This is enhanced by the fact that Summer in California lasts from May through October and you can still get those wonderful 90 plus days in January. Plus Florida will throw a few days of 100 + tempuratures whereas California will give you a few weeks.

The same can be said for Florida but at least the warm weather we experienced in January was not the same as their Summer weather.

I know we're all competing here to prove that one area is worse than the other but let's face the facts. There is a good reason people go to Disneyworld above Disneyland. Aside from the much more substantial park experience at Disneyworld, their weather is much better and more livable since it's not likely to last your entire trip.

I think that proves that California has the worst Summer weather.

I will attest that hot is hot whether it's dry or not.

I still have not been able to decide if a humid heat is worse than the convection oven heat of the West.

Heat index of 110 versus actual heat of 110 are about the same IMHO. You can typically escape a dry 110 by finding some shade but I've found that a stroll in the sun is far more excruciating than sweating it out when the heat "index" is 110.

They both suck equally.

That being said, my first humid Summer was far more pleasurable than a typical California Summer. This is enhanced by the fact that Summer in California lasts from May through October and you can still get those wonderful 90 plus days in January. Plus Florida will throw a few days of 100 + tempuratures whereas California will give you a few weeks.

The same can be said for Florida but at least the warm weather we experienced in January was not the same as their Summer weather.

I know we're all competing here to prove that one area is worse than the other but let's face the facts. There is a good reason people go to Disneyworld above Disneyland. Aside from the much more substantial park experience at Disneyworld, their weather is much better and more livable since it's not likely to last your entire trip.

I think that proves that California has the worst Summer weather.

You are the first person I have ever heard that thinks Florida weather is better than SoCal weather! I have family who lives in Florida and they would laugh at that statement! The main reason we never stay for over a week in Florida is because of the nasty, sticky humid heat. I'll take dry Cali heat over that anytime. I wish you were right, I would love some 90+ days in January when it is generally cold in SoCal!:rotfl2:

That said, this is all subjective... I know people who think Michigan winters are the way to go when referring to the right weather!

socal weather....cold?? BAHAHAHAHA! :lmao:

i'll take an ACTUAL winter over FL or southern CA anyday!

You are the first person I have ever heard that thinks Florida weather is better than SoCal weather! I have family who lives in Florida and they would laugh at that statement! The main reason we never stay for over a week in Florida is because of the nasty, sticky humid heat. I'll take dry Cali heat over that anytime. I wish you were right, I would love some 90+ days in January when it is generally cold in SoCal!:rotfl2:

That said, this is all subjective... I know people who think Michigan winters are the way to go when referring to the right weather!

It is generally cool in California during January but it can always hit 90 which it did several times during January 07 so I am right. That's the real stinker about California is that you can reach summer temps every single month just like Florida. I think the reason I prefer other places to California is that I hate the convection oven feel of California heatwaves and the knowledge that they can always pounce on you. You don't just feel it from the sun. The ground is also baking and that heat rises to surround you in what I can only assume is what people refer to as "basking" in California's wonderful weather. A hot summer day in Florida can be downright pleasant if you get some rainfall. No chance of even a drip in California.

Yeah Florida is sticky but it's also moist which means you won't feel like a piece of sandpaper. Score one more for Florida. Maybe I'm just jaded from spending almost 30 years enjoying that so called wonderful weather California has. You can have it.

Huh...I have lived in CA (albeit northern CA) for well over 30 years and I have to say that weather is very high on the list of why we will never move somewhere else. We have relatives in the mid-west, and it is always either hot and humid or way too cold for our tastes whenever we visit. We do live in the Bay Area, so we don't usually get the convection oven heat of which you speak. (I have experienced it in Sacramento, but a cool cloth on the pulse points helps immensely.) That isn't to say that a 90 degree day is not uncomfortable. I have to admit we have a fairly narrow range of comfort when it comes to temperatures. I just find that 90 degrees without humidity is less uncomfortable than 90 degrees with 90% humidity like we once experienced in Minnesota. We literally walked out of the front door of the house we were in and felt like we were slamming into a wall of hot wet air. I have never had pneumonia before, but I am pretty sure I know what it feels like, just based on trying to breathe that day.

It is generally cool in California during January but it can always hit 90 which it did several times during January 07 so I am right. That's the real stinker about California is that you can reach summer temps every single month just like Florida. I think the reason I prefer other places to California is that I hate the convection oven feel of California heatwaves and the knowledge that they can always pounce on you. You don't just feel it from the sun. The ground is also baking and that heat rises to surround you in what I can only assume is what people refer to as "basking" in California's wonderful weather. A hot summer day in Florida can be downright pleasant if you get some rainfall. No chance of even a drip in California.

Yeah Florida is sticky but it's also moist which means you won't feel like a piece of sandpaper. Score one more for Florida. Maybe I'm just jaded from spending almost 30 years enjoying that so called wonderful weather California has. You can have it.

Like I said, it is all subjective but whatever you say boss!

No, 90 degrees in January is not typical, when it does happen it is more the anomoly. Maybe you can get a job with the FL tourist board!!:worship:

Maybe I'm just jaded from spending almost 30 years enjoying that so called wonderful weather California has. You can have it.

Thanks...I'd be more than happy to have it! :)

Back to OP's original question: Yes...DL is a wonderful place. Go and have a GREAT time!

Thanks...I'd be more than happy to have it! :)

Back to OP's original question: Yes...DL is a wonderful place. Go and have a GREAT time!

Disneyland is still a wonderful place. It's better than the Magic Kingdom. Look out for locals though. They know the spiel to every ride which can be a little annoying.

Like I said, it is all subjective but whatever you say boss!

No, 90 degrees in January is not typical, when it does happen it is more the anomoly. Maybe you can get a job with the FL tourist board!!:worship:

Of course it's subjective. I hate hot weather. That being said California still rocks and it will always be my home no matter where I live. It's still hot and it still gets hot every single month. High tempuratures and observed highs are a tad different. Local on the 8's was my favorite show when I lived in California and I must say that frequently their forecasted highs were exceeded by at least 5 degrees on a daily basis. I'm talking heat index either. Miserable heat is miserable heat.

I personally think Florida is less miserable than California. It's still miserable though. You mistook my preference of humid heat as being a Florida advocate. Florida still stands strong as the worst state I've been to aside from Texas. I haven't decided which is worse. Florida stinks of tourists and Texas stinks of, well Texans. At least people in California are too self absorbed to even look down their nose at you. I like the feeling of anonymity I can enjoy there.

Disneyland is very clean and I love it. Don't go during the summer though. It's hot and hot sucks.

Florida stinks of tourists and Texas stinks of, well Texans. At least people in California are too self absorbed to even look down their nose at you. I like the feeling of anonymity I can enjoy there.

Disneyland is very clean and I love it. Don't go during the summer though. It's hot and hot sucks.

So tell us what you really think of Texans! Generalizations are always a slippery slope. I will agree with you that Midwestern folks are generally nice, even if they are occasionally nieve. Good people for sure.

I agree, we avoid DL from about May to October... Who needs all that heat, crowds, B.O. and super-stinky bathrooms!:scared1:

Folks, I said it before but it bears repeating. DLR is much better setup to avoid the heat than is WDW. While it may or not may not be hotter in FL or SoCal (I personally think FL is much worse than SoCal in the summer) , it is easier to avoid it at DLR for these reasons:

1. It is easier to take mid-day breaks at DLR because of the nearby hotels

2. Transportation time at DLR is almost zero

3. Park hours are longer at DLR than at WDW in the summer allowing you to shift touring to early morning and later evening more easily.

4. With longer park hours you can take longer breaks during the heat of the day

5. With easier parkhopping at DLR you can always stay out late each night with minimal wasted time by hopping to DL after DCA

Usually when I read about people who say DLR is too hot in the summer or too crowded in the summer, it comes from people who unnecessarily stay out all day when the heat and crowds are at their worst. Duh.

So tell us what you really think of Texans! Generalizations are always a slippery slope. I will agree with you that Midwestern folks are generally nice, even if they are occasionally nieve. Good people for sure.

I agree, we avoid DL from about May to October... Who needs all that heat, crowds, B.O. and super-stinky bathrooms!:scared1:

Yeah. No one else in any other part of the country is ever naive on occasion.

Folks, I said it before but it bears repeating. DLR is much better setup to avoid the heat than is WDW. While it may or not may not be hotter in FL or SoCal (I personally think FL is much worse than SoCal in the summer) , it is easier to avoid it at DLR for these reasons:

1. It is easier to take mid-day breaks at DLR because of the nearby hotels

2. Transportation time at DLR is almost zero

3. Park hours are longer at DLR than at WDW in the summer allowing you to shift touring to early morning and later evening more easily.

4. With longer park hours you can take longer breaks during the heat of the day

5. With easier parkhopping at DLR you can always stay out late each night with minimal wasted time by hopping to DL after DCA

Usually when I read about people who say DLR is too hot in the summer or too crowded in the summer, it comes from people who unnecessarily stay out all day when the heat and crowds are at their worst. Duh.

I did find that there are more outdoor queue areas with shade at WDW though.

I hope you have a wonderful time in July. Every time I go I get caught up in the environment - the music, the yummy smells, and especially meeting the characters. If you and your family are able to "feel like kids", you will have a blast! :cheer2:

I love how this discussion went from "Is Disneyland nice?" To "Who has the worst weather" :rotfl:

I love how this discussion went from "Is Disneyland nice?" To "Who has the worst weather" :rotfl:
Well, all threads tend to be that way. :cool2:

Besides, the OP framed the question in comparison to WDW and also said that the trip was in July. I would say we are still on topic. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter