• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Is Disney finally seeing consumers say they're pricing themselves out of peoples ability to pay?

Ha! I'm glad someone can relate. I know so many people that tell me beach vacations are cheaper and they can't believe how expensive Disney is and that I keep going. Beach vacations have never been the cheaper option for us, whether its paying over-the-top hotel rates for a subpar, old and gross hotel, or a beach house rental in the summer. Granted, for some it is cheaper to drive somewhere than fly, but we use a SW credit card and pretty much always fly for free with our points so that doesn't factor in for us.
I am one who agrees that I can’t vacation the way we like (so no gross beach hotels or campsites) for much cheaper than WDW. I was just upset with the lack of quality & service we experienced on our last trip. If that continues, we will stop going. That’s unacceptable to me for the money.

@Farro this is very off-topic but I want you to know I finally tried your namesake food two days ago and it was awesome even my DH loved it.

Ultimately it's hard to really do an apples to apples comparison when it comes to Disney. I see this all the time on the cruise board. Technically DCL is a mid-market cruise line and should be priced similarly to Royal Caribbean, Princess, etc, but they can get away with charging more so they do. WDW is no different. They will price things according to what they think the market will bear, and their favorite customer will be the one who stays and eats onsite and buys a lot of merchandise. If that means "trip of a lifetime" folks, wealthy people or foreign visitors over AP holders, then they will try to attract the former instead of the latter.

But at the end of the day, vacations are getting more expensive everywhere. For fun, I just priced out a ski trip the same week as our upcoming WDW reservations, including similar accommodations, 4 days of lift tickets and ski rentals, and a food budget (we have FD with our WDW reservation). It was almost the exact same price.

That said, if this trip turns out to be a disaster where we can hardly move through walkways or ride anything, we might not go back for a long while.

Not for my family. So far with APs we have stayed at CSR, the Swan, and the Dolphin. With a stay at the Swan coming in a couple weeks. And during the last stay hit the Disney Studios after hours. And we do multiple ADRs each trip.
Me neither. We’ve stayed at POR and Poly this year with a stay at CBR this weekend but I’ve read enough reports from other APs who choose to do it on the cheap so they can fit in more trips.

Another way to say it is that people going once a year or every few years or the once in a lifetimes are probably spending more than the average AP trip. Not saying this is true across the board but after a few years on multiple forums I’ve defintiely seen a pattern.

Me neither. We’ve stayed at POR and Poly this year with a stay at CBR this weekend but I’ve read enough reports from other APs who choose to do it on the cheap so they can fit in more trips.

Another way to say it is that people going once a year or every few years or the once in a lifetimes are probably spending more than the average AP trip. Not saying this is true across the board but after a few years on multiple forums I’ve defintiely seen a pattern.

Our 3 trips this year:

Pop --4 nights
AKL on rented DVC points -- 5 nights
Pop -- 6 nights with AP discount

We eat mostly quick service, but we also do dessert parties and special events every trip. We don't do much shopping, though. I bet that's probably true with most AP holders.

A week at Disney is going to cost me the same as a week in London so it doesn't matter. I want to experience both I only make $30,000/year so it's going to take me a while just to enjoy a vacation. It doesn't matter anymore where something is. Life is expensive.

I know this isn't Disney's fault but when you go to the Jersey shore (Jersey girl here!) you aren't also paying $500-600 per person for park tickets. 98% of the people staying on Disney property, in a Disney hotel, are going to the parks. When you go down the shore you are going to the beach and boardwalk. Most people take food to the beach or eat in the room or grill by the pool. I mean of course people eat out but it's not necessary for a shore vacation. It's two different beasts to me.

Definitely true although with kids it's easy to spend a few hundred dollars a day on bike rentals, mini golf, the boardwalk and food. I just mean that the actual hotels are okay price-wise in the value and mod categories to me. Not judging the overall price of the vacation but Disney will hopefully see the error of their ways on the deluxe pricing. It's crazy!

Definitely true although with kids it's easy to spend a few hundred dollars a day on bike rentals, mini golf, the boardwalk and food. I just mean that the actual hotels are okay price-wise in the value and mod categories to me. Not judging the overall price of the vacation but Disney will hopefully see the error of their ways on the deluxe pricing. It's crazy!

I don't think the values are crazy expensive considering everything that is included. MBs, DME, transportation, etc. The mods take me for a bit of a surprise (compared to what it used to be) but it's not out of control IMO. Now the deluxes....yes I agree, they are crazy priced. $1000 for a room for one night. That's crazy for ME.

What's killing me now is having to get two rooms. The next time we go DS will probably be 21-22. I'm thinking of asking him to pay for his portion of his room. He will share with DD and I'll pay her half. Who knows. That's about 2-3 years away.

I don't think the values are crazy expensive considering everything that is included. MBs, DME, transportation, etc. The mods take me for a bit of a surprise (compared to what it used to be) but it's not out of control IMO. Now the deluxes....yes I agree, they are crazy priced. $1000 for a room for one night. That's crazy for ME.

What's killing me now is having to get two rooms. The next time we go DS will probably be 21-22. I'm thinking of asking him to pay for his portion of his room. He will share with DD and I'll pay her half. Who knows. That's about 2-3 years away.
For the Values I think it can depend on time of year. Some people are quoting close to $200/night or at least up there. Now I have no issue with seasonal pricing but it can make you do a double take on the pricing. And in terms if value of pricing you're right it comes with all sorts of things but I wouldn't take DME and transportation is available to everyone. Onsite perks to us would be 60day FP and EMH but even now they expanded that to other non-Disney hotels and those have more options for types of accommodations. MB for free is nice but at least it's not too too expensive for solid colors for non-on site guests.

For the Values I think it can depend on time of year. Some people are quoting close to $200/night or at least up there. Now I have no issue with seasonal pricing but it can make you do a double take on the pricing. And in terms if value of pricing you're right it comes with all sorts of things but I wouldn't take DME and transportation is available to everyone. Onsite perks to us would be 60day FP and EMH but even now they expanded that to other non-Disney hotels and those have more options for types of accommodations. MB for free is nice but at least it's not too too expensive for solid colors for non-on site guests.

Transportation within Disney is available to everyone but Disney isn't going to transport you from the park to your offsite condo. Or give you free parking if you drive.

I know the DS hotels are considered offsite but since they offer 60FP+ and EMH I consider them "onsite." Just for those perks.

Transportation within Disney is available to everyone but Disney isn't going to transport you from the park to your offsite condo. Or give you free parking if you drive.

I know the DS hotels are considered offsite but since they offer 60FP+ and EMH I consider them "onsite." Just for those perks.
True in the transportation but there are many places that offer shuttles often for free. I wouldn't want to use the shuttles but then again we drove everyday anyways when we were onsite

How can we find offsite hotels that offer free shuttles? Hoping some of you have stayed at some of them that accommodate wheelchairs/ECVs. I know the Disney Springs hotels do, but are there others?

Darn, I thought I was posting in the Disabilities thread. Sorry.

How can we find offsite hotels that offer free shuttles? Hoping some of you have stayed at some of them that accommodate wheelchairs/ECVs. I know the Disney Springs hotels do, but are there others?

Darn, I thought I was posting in the Disabilities thread. Sorry.
I've stayed at a Hampton Inn back in 2011 and I'm sorry I just don't remember where it was located at.

If you go to Hilton's website, just for example, you can type in the Location area "Disney World" and it will get you around that area including the hotels that are on property near Disney Springs. In the description of the hotel it will tell you, more often than not, if it has a shuttle to Disney.

Here's two examples:
This hotel has a daily resort charge and part of that includes access to the shuttle

This hotel has no daily resort charge but the shuttle is still free

I used Hilton-branded hotels but you could do the same type of search for other branded hotels in Orlando area.

The reason I said I wouldn't use them is just because our experience was they weren't as convenient as we would have liked and we ended up driving several days to WDW and Universal back in 2011. We like driving anyways it makes us less stressed when we can count on our time vs someone else. But we're weird like that :crazy: But hey a free shuttle is better than nothing if you don't have a car. That said back in 2011 Uber wasn't really around so that's also another option just as a general note (because I don't quite know your specific needs). ETA: Oh I just read your part about wheelchair/ECV. I would probably search for places that have the shuttles if that's what you're looking for and then I would call the hotel directly to ask if they are accessible. I feel like the shuttle we had at the Hampton Inn we stayed at was a Greyhound-style bus but I really don't remember a whole lot about it).

The oldest (18 then) tried but found everything the same and even told me she could get 3 times as much stuff on Amazon and Ebay than the stuff they had last year. This is something I think I lot of people understand. In 2006 on our 1st trip I bought myself 6 shirts. I still have them. From our 3rd trip in 2012 I cannot tell you how many I bought because none have survived and only one from the 2015 trip. Our last trip I looked for polo shirts. I found the same with Mickey on it in at least 25 spots. No where could I find a park or hotel one. I just didn't spend the cash there.
I just bought 2 ears off of shopdisney for $15 each. I was just at Disneyland and they were selling them for full price $27.99. I saw lots of cute shirts at Disneyland but will wait until they go on sale at Shopdisney before buying.

I just bought 2 ears off of shopdisney for $15 each. I was just at Disneyland and they were selling them for full price $27.99. I saw lots of cute shirts at Disneyland but will wait until they go on sale at Shopdisney before buying.
That's a good idea. The only thing I see coming into play is sales tax and shipping charges.

I checked what $15 ears would be to have it shipped to my house and the total with tax and shipping would be $22.94. If I bought in Anaheim it would be $30.16 I believe. Still a decent savings though and I usually go by any little bit helps kind of thing :)

That's a good idea. The only thing I see coming into play is sales tax and shipping charges.

I checked what $15 ears would be to have it shipped to my house and the total with tax and shipping would be $22.94. If I bought in Anaheim it would be $30.16 I believe. Still a decent savings though and I usually go by any little bit helps kind of thing :)
Yep - for me the tax is about the same as I live in CA and if I'd spent $75 shipping would have been free but decided the $7 of shipping was cheaper than buying something else and still ended up saving $18 on my 2 ears.

There are tons more places to buy. We use one of the box services that goes out and buys Disney stuff (won't mention name it might be against the rules of this board) but the girls get a different set of ears each month in the box. Last month had It's A Small World ears. I didn't even now they made them for that ride. Whomever Disney uses to buy merchandise they really need to fire that man/woman. Kids should never bring home money to spend elsewhere.

Sure I can. Why not?

We don't go every year for 5 days at a time. We go every 3 or 4 years for 9 nights. The price I keep quoting, $68 a day, is reasonable to us to be able to go to as many parks a day as I want for 9 days. Comparing that to just paying $58 to go to Great America for a day, it's a good deal.

I'm not being fooled by Disney, it is what it is. When you go longer you pay less. That's how we vacation, so it turns out to be a good deal for us.

Like I said earlier, the hotels are outrageous to me. Ticket prices, dining, etc. I'm okay with.

This is also how we vacation so this is how we make our comparisons. If I am traveling I look at the total cost of the vacation for food, lodging and entertainment. I do not count extra spending. If my trip is 7 days and I am planning to visit multiple attractions in that area, I need to include entrance fees, and plan the cost for each one. I do not care what the annual cost of tickets is, I am not buying annual passes. I am buying however many days I feel I need at any given attraction.

I add in lodging for the entire trip, and then look at restaurants and budget our food and beverages.

The total is the total. For me, WDW is not necessarily an overall value but that is due to the crazy cost of resorts. I am also fine with the food and the ticket prices.

I don't think that Disney wants to keep crowds down. They want to keep the parks as crowded as they can with the prices as high as they can keep them. Rake in that dough and I don't blame them. If people are willing to pay, why not??

Personally I won't go to Disney unless I get to do Disney the way I want to do Disney within MY BUDGET. Which for me is to stay onsite, for at least 7-10 days, at least a few TS meals ( I refuse to pack food), park hoppers, the FP+ I want, transportation (I refuse to drive on vacation) longer park hours and not during a party season (I went the first week of November and to the first MVMCP last year and left two days after so a great week with only two parties). I like the all inclusive feel of staying on Disney property, not having to drive, scanning my MB, etc. We are every 3 years or so visitors so when we go we spend a pretty penny. We do an extra or two, buy souvenirs, eat TS, stay onsite, buy lots of snacks, etc. So I think we are a "target" vacationer for Disney because we do spend. We aren't "once in a lifetime" visitors but we aren't the ones who go multiple times a year on an AP and don't spend in the parks.

If I can't have what I want on a Disney vacation (or any vacation for that matter) we go elsewhere. There are so many other places where I feel I get much more value for my money. Don't get me wrong, I love Disney but there are a million other beautiful places in the world to see and we go and see them. I would like to go back to Disney in 3-4 years but it won't happen until all of the stars align. In the meantime we have Puerto Rico, Cancun and Italy planned at cheaper prices than a week at Disney.

I agree. I am not compromising on my vacation. I want a nice resort, good food and fun. If I cannot have it my way, I go elsewhere. Right now I try to keep vacation spending to $200 per person per day.

Because it isn't a valid comparison. One day at GA vs one day at MK is a valid comparison, not multiple days.

But Farro is looking at cost the way that I do. When I travel I need to account for all of our attractions in the total cost of my stay. A park may only be one day during that visit, so I count the cost of a one day pass. If I need two I count the two day pass. Most places do not need more than one or two days to see the entire park. I need to include all my tickets to my chosen attractions in my vacation spending. WDW needs at least 7 days for me, so I count the cost of the 7 day pass as my total ticket cost.
For me, it was a valid comparison.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter