Is Disney contributing to childhood obesity?

Just to add to the discussion, from a recommendation, we went to Disney Springs and ordered a burger from D-Luxe (I think that's what it's called) and hopped over to Sprinkles to get a cupcake for dessert. We didn't eat them there, we actually ordered them and brought them home to eat (we were in DS early afternoon and were heading home for dinner and relaxation). First, we were all salivating the entire car ride home from the smells. :cake: And oh my goodness was it heavenly to eat. Awesome. But this is something we only do as a treat, normally on vacation. Not every day. Can't wait to go back and do it again!!

I skimmed as it was too long and all over the place.

I am guessing that the portion I quoted is what set you off. If this is the case, my suggestion would be to write directly to WDW, with just the facts of the server telling your child he could not order off the kids menu and let them know you where unhappy with the age cut off for ordering from the kids menu. Just stick to the facts of the occurrence and not your philosophies. Posting here might get it off your chest, but really does nothing.

Truthfully, I think all menus should just get away from Adult vs Kid Menus. They can offer food in various sizes and then you can decide what you want. I know that many time my parents would have to order my sister and I food from the adult menus since we did not like the options on the kids menu. I also know that many places, my mom would like something simple from the kids menu.
There is a simple way around some of this menu stuff....
Just ask for what you want, rather than asking for a kiddie menu or permission to order from it. (Maybe check the kid menu before going if you're concerned about what might be on it.)

I just say: "Is it possible to get a grilled cheese sandwich?" Most of the time it isn't a problem at all. No big discussion, they just bring it.

My DP has had bariatric surgery, and I have to say that I have never really understood the philosophy behind not letting adults order off the kids' menu. Ostensibly, a certain amount/selection of food costs X dollars + Y profit. What difference does it make whether the person eating the food is over or under a certain age? The cost + profit formula doesn't change. It's quite possible my DP will want to order off the kids' menu in some places because she can only eat smaller portions, and I'm hoping we don't get a ton of pushback on this.

I don't even get this on the dining plan. I mean, I can see not letting a kid order off the adult menu, but if an adult wants to opt for a kids' meal, which would typically be a less expensive option, why not allow it?

I know some restraunts will allow ordering off the kids menu for an extra charge for an adult. I assume this is because they build less profit on the kids meals, as they assume they will make the profit they need off adults.

Businesses with no profit are not businesses at all

I agree with the OP on the Disney Adult thing. Pure and simple it's a money grab, but..

" I feel that disney is interfering with my parenting and risking the health of my child"

1. A week at Disney is hardly life threatening unless there are other conditions
2. You are the parent, not Disney! If you don't like the way things are done at Disney you have an option. But it's not Disney's job to raise your kids for you. If you feel Disney is not a healthy alternative then it's time to move on to new adventures. A lot of us have. Disney is not "interfering" if you chose to show up at their parks, knowing their rules. You allowed them to make the choice for your family. So there's no interference, you weren't forced at gunpoint to Disney to make your child eat adult meals.

There is a simple way around some of this menu stuff....
Just ask for what you want, rather than asking for a kiddie menu or permission to order from it. (Maybe check the kid menu before going if you're concerned about what might be on it.)

I just say: "Is it possible to get a grilled cheese sandwich?" Most of the time it isn't a problem at all. No big discussion, they just bring it.
Gwynne - have you done that in a range of places - would be so useful for my DGS who has limited choices to know I could ask for that.

I skimmed as it was too long and all over the place.

I am guessing that the portion I quoted is what set you off. If this is the case, my suggestion would be to write directly to WDW, with just the facts of the server telling your child he could not order off the kids menu and let them know you where unhappy with the age cut off for ordering from the kids menu. Just stick to the facts of the occurrence and not your philosophies. Posting here might get it off your chest, but really does nothing.

Truthfully, I think all menus should just get away from Adult vs Kid Menus. They can offer food in various sizes and then you can decide what you want. I know that many time my parents would have to order my sister and I food from the adult menus since we did not like the options on the kids menu. I also know that many places, my mom would like something simple from the kids menu.

Thank you, i completely agree with that last part about getting away from adult vs kid menus.

I guess my post came off wrong, I'm not really upset about anything...it irked me about 50's PT but I have been really just wondering lately about the adult vs kid thing in general and all over. Its like everyone wants kids to grow up sooner and treat them like adults. And how Disney is a leader and could help change things. The post title is bad, I can see that now lol. Many people read title and post without reading and my main idea is really how 10 year olds and up are not adults and the dining was just an example of how kids are being seen as adults way too early. and how treating them as adults during meals cannot be healthy for them. I know its my responsibility to watch what they eat and I do but disney can make it easier.

The kids meals aren't really that great, anyway. Not at Disney. Not at most restaurants. I hate going to a restaurant and know that the kids choices will be chicken nuggets, grilled cheese, mac and cheese, or a burger 99% of the time. When we're home and dine out we've started only going to places that will serve a kids portion of the anything on the menu, rather than the same old slop that has nothing to do with the rest of the menu, nor offers any nutritional value.

Yeah, he was a monster. Topped out at 6'4'', broad shoulders... And doesn't play anything resembling a sport! :laughing: Poor guy got an athlete's frame, but is a flat footed lefty who couldn't run or jump properly until he was 12.

Mine is 6"6, built like a football player and on the bowling team and the chorus. Still eats like a football player though.. :goodvibes

I know some restraunts will allow ordering off the kids menu for an extra charge for an adult. I assume this is because they build less profit on the kids meals, as they assume they will make the profit they need off adults.

I've had friends do this when out. They ordered a grilled cheese sandwich off the kids menu (not available on adults). Was charged a different price than the kids menu for the entree and the separately for the drink. I'm assuming also it's because the kids meals aren't priced for a profit, the restaurants intend to make a profit on the adults accompanying the child.

Gwynne - have you done that in a range of places - would be so useful for my DGS who has limited choices to know I could ask for that.
Yes I have. I always ask nicely, and I don't ask about the price. It usually is somewhere between 5 and 7 dollars, and they include fries.
Places like Captain's Grill, The Plaza, Grand Floridian Cafe and so on. I wouldn't try it someplace like Teppan Edo. :D
I usually only eat about half of it, so it's a nice not too big lunch.

Another option, is to just order a la carte from the regular menu. Usually they will do a side salad. Then I'll check the vegetable sides, and order one or two of those.
It's nice to change things up, especially at Disney.

In order for Disney to be contributing to childhood obesity, a large portion of the population of American children would have to be eating on Disney property for a large portion of the year. The % of American families that go to Disney in any given year is probably less than 15%, and a week of large portions isn't going to make a healthy weight kid suddenly overweight. Disney is not the center of the universe people, even though us Disers like to think it is.

You've made a compelling case against the DDP. It does not work for a lot of families, including mine. Our girls are 16 and 14. In our family of 4 we have 2 vegans, 1 vegetarian, and 1 meat-eater. All have varying appetites. Sometimes certain people just get appetizers, or sometimes people split meals or get side menu items.

I suggest you are worrying too much about Disney labels, and your angst over it has rubbed off on your 11 year old who got so upset at Prime Time.

Yes, it's kind of silly/irritating that Disney calls 10 year olds adults, but that doesn't mean they control how much kids eat. Ask for both menus. Be clear from the get-go that you are NOT on the DDP. Order what you want. Each person should TELL the server politely what they want rather than asking "if it is OK" if they can order something. I'd bet that 99 percent of servers aren't going to deny your "Disney adults" ordering kids meals, especially if you all are friendly and polite, which I'm sure you are. In the end, the waitstaff cares far more about making you happy than being sticklers. You were probably just unlucky to have had one cantankerous server.

If you think your kids are going to get too much food on their plates, speak up! You can ASK the server to bring out a smaller sized portion. If you are headed back or are at a resort, you can also ask that they box up 50 percent of the meal in advance and you can take it as leftovers. Portions are a tricky thing because even people at the exact same ages will vary so much. It's up to you to adjust the restaurant offerings to fit your families needs, not the other way around.

Of course, there's a part of WDW that's all about splurging. Back at home, one might not desire to eat ice cream bars and hot dogs and churros everyday, but it's part of the fun of being on vacation -- and not something you might otherwise do in your daily life.

I know a lot of people here are fans of the DDP, but it's not for everyone. If you'd like healthier meals, you definitely can find them at WDW. I just got back from a trip with two boys who are wrestlers, who usually eat healthy for their sport, and it was easy to find options in many places.

I've had friends do this when out. They ordered a grilled cheese sandwich off the kids menu (not available on adults). Was charged a different price than the kids menu for the entree and the separately for the drink. I'm assuming also it's because the kids meals aren't priced for a profit, the restaurants intend to make a profit on the adults accompanying the child.

This is a really good point! In the most extreme example, I guess it's similar to off-site restaurants that say "kids eat free" -- which doesn't mean than an adult could ask for a free kid's meal. That said, since it's Disney World where kids are a big focus, I'm guessing they've studied the price gap between the kids meals and adult meals, and decided that this was the best balance.

You can find things besides burgers and chicken nuggets on kids menus at WDW, but you do have to look for them ahead of time. But I think it is crazy ridiculous to blame Disney if your child is overweight. That doesn't happen during vacation, that happens during every day life, and the parents have (or should have) control over both places. Don't want your child to eat chicken nuggets, don't buy them. See how easy that is?

Menus for all restaurants are widely available for pre-planning. If your child has aged off the children's menu, you can always call the restaurant and ask if they can order from there if they are a bit older. If not, you can make plans to eat somewhere that can accommodate your needs. When DD was growing up, she never ate from the children's menu because that food is usually junk. Instead, DH or I would share with her or sometimes she would order an appetizer as her meal. She grew up loving all sorts of food and loved looking for the strangest thing on the menu. She's an adventurous eater to this day at age 29. We were responsible for teaching her how to eat and controlling her portions. We would never even think that Disney was responsible for that.

The fact that Disney considers kids to be adults for tickets and dining at an early age in no way means your child is an adult. If your child was upset because they wanted to still be a kid, you only needed to explain this was for Disney pricing only and that he was still a kid. What do you do at home where restaurants, movies and other places also have age limits on who gets a child's pricing?

Disney is contributing only to the extent that McDonald's is.

In fact, neither are. Parents are the final arbiter. If you don't want your child to eat a large portion of mac and cheese, don't get it for him. If your child is begging for the toy from a Happy Meal, and they don't need the calories, tell them no.

Pretty much this. You child wasn't forced to eat an adult sized kids meal, you had several ways out that you either chose not to take or weren't aware of.

We have never done the DP, and this is part of why I hate it. Even if we had free dining, I'd rather pay OOP for a kids meal that my kid would actually eat.
The OP stated they did not buy the dinING plan on this trip.

OP, I get you. It's frustrating to feel like systems are in place that make it harder to help your kids eat something reasonably healthy and/or what they want, whether that be the food items or the portion size. Research shows that the #1 predictor of how much you will eat at a meal is the portion size provided. Even if you never finish a meal, you will eat more if I give you 10oz of a food item rather than 5oz. And it's not easy or convenient to... What exactly do PPs propose you do? Ask for a spare plate to scoop out some of your kid's meal as soon as it arrives? Ask for a doggy bag pre-emptively? Tell the child to only eat half? This thread has a lot of preaching, including from people who didn't read your post closely, but not a lot of reasonable actionable advice. (Hence all the assumptions that you were on the DDP.)
I hope more people who have children who struggle with their weight and diet or who have their own significant weight problems might respond with more empathy and more ideas that perhaps they have used successfully.

Disney offers unhealthy food, and healthy food (admittedly sometimes it seems like more of the former), but ultimately it's up to us as parents what we let our children eat. At the end of the day, when you're at Disney, you're on holiday, so it's OK to let yourself and your kids have a few extra treats, as long as it's not carried on all year! Their diets are our responsibility, not Disney's. Also they should be getting a huge amount of exercise at Disney!

As for portion size, some kids eat more than others just like some adults eat more than others... (My 8 year old sometimes puts away more than me!) Just leave what you don't want!

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter