Is covid getting weaker?

Not going to preach about vaccines or their efficacy, as IMHO it is a personal choice as to whether you get vaccinated or not. I don't even see it as a person potentially putting others at risk, if they choose not to get vaccinated. If you don't want to be at risk than vaccinate yourself and follow protocols to keep yourself safe. Anyway, I can just give my personal experience with the omicron variant. My entire family got sick with omicron. I was vaccinated, so was my son, due to work requirements. My wife and daughter were not vaccinated. I had very mild symptoms. Actually due to my experience with it, I am criticized as one of those people who say "It felt like nothing more than a cold" This again is only my experience. My son had it a little worse but still said it was like a bad cold for him that lasted about a week. My wife and daughter both struggled with it. My wife had a fever on and off for more than a week. It would spike up and go down with fever reducers and fluids. She had a very bad cough for at least two weeks and was very run down. My daughter had it the worst. She had severe cough and congestion and troubled breathing for more than a month. She was almost hospitalized and eventually was put on intervenes anti biotics and a steroid before the congestion cleared. IMO this is proof that the vaccines, while not a prophylaxes against infection, as originally advertised, do provide increased immunity to the infection which makes the symptoms much less severe and a greatly protracted risk of death.

Same, and I honestly think it's because of masking up during the pandemic.

I'm in an odd boat, I honestly wouldn't know if I had Covid unless I had a fever or persistent cough. I suffer from allergies year round, and have also been dealing with menopause symptoms for the last few years. More than half the symptoms for Covid mirror what I deal with on a daily basis.
Not sure if it is the masking, or the religious hand washing, or both. Either way, I'm continuing to do both.

Any of you who have recently had Covid, did you have a horrendous cough with it?
Had a bad case of covid 2 weeks ago. Minor cough. Fever, terrible sore throat, chills, body aches, congestion. Sick for 5 days. Caught it at the key west airport. Husband also caught it, but had a much milder case. Both of us had the original 2 vaccines at the same time, no boosters.

Not sure if the virus is getting weaker - certainly didn’t feel that way when I was sick. But, so many people are getting very light cases. Has to be due to viral load and DNA.

Any of you who have recently had Covid, did you have a horrendous cough with it?
My DH had it, and his cough sounded pretty nasty for a couple of days. (He was isolating in another part if the house, but I could still hear it.) His did improve, though - still the occasional cough, but it doesn't sound scary like it did.

Had a bad case of covid 2 weeks ago. Minor cough. Fever, terrible sore throat, chills, body aches, congestion. Sick for 5 days. Caught it at the key west airport. Husband also caught it, but had a much milder case. Both of us had the original 2 vaccines at the same time, no boosters.

Not sure if the virus is getting weaker - certainly didn’t feel that way when I was sick. But, so many people are getting very light cases. Has to be due to viral load and DNA.

Just curious, and no judgement....were you guys wearing masks at the Key West airport? If so, what kind of mask. And you seem sure that you got it there....why do you think that?

We're getting ready to travel soon....vaxxed and boosted and since this is our first trip since the pandemic, wondering how people who are traveling think they are getting it. Thanks!

My DH had it, and his cough sounded pretty nasty for a couple of days. (He was isolating in another part if the house, but I could still hear it.) His did improve, though - still the occasional cough, but it doesn't sound scary like it did.
Thank you for your reply, PollyannaMom. The reason I asked was my DH developed a nasty cough over the weekend. He's fully vaccination but we were still concerned. Thank goodness he tested yesterday and he doesn't have it. He just has nasty allergies but still sounds like death warmed over!!

Glad to hear your DH was OK. :hug:

Thank you for your reply, PollyannaMom. The reason I asked was my DH developed a nasty cough over the weekend. He's fully vaccination but we were still concerned. Thank goodness he tested yesterday and he doesn't have it. He just has nasty allergies but still sounds like death warmed over!!

Oh golly, yes! I live in a heavily treed neighbourhood and this year has been unbelievable for pine/spruce pollen. There are yellow clouds of it blowing in the wind and it’s accumulated on surfaces in every crevice. Even people who aren’t usually reactive are sneezing, snotting and hacking like plague victims, myself included. It’s quite embarrassing actually and I’m currently masking in public so as not to scare anyone.
1655297745762.jpeg
1655297780900.jpeg

Just curious, and no judgement....were you guys wearing masks at the Key West airport? If so, what kind of mask. And you seem sure that you got it there....why do you think that?

We're getting ready to travel soon....vaxxed and boosted and since this is our first trip since the pandemic, wondering how people who are traveling think they are getting it. Thanks!
I a going to we went to WDW in May we flew we did not wear masks at all did not get covid, multiple people on the dis said they were they around the same & they wore masks ( religiously-their words)& got covid. so do what makes you comfortable.

For how long will you continue this?
I have no idea. My mom was a surgical nurse and a mask was part of her professional routine for 40 years. She always harped on hand washing, not sure if that was a habit she had as a kid or picked up in nursing school, so in her case that was part of her routine for at least 70 years.
And of course in some parts of the world face masks in cold and flu season have been the norm for over 100 years.

Oh golly, yes! I live in a heavily treed neighbourhood and this year has been unbelievable for pine/spruce pollen. There are yellow clouds of it blowing in the wind and it’s accumulated on surfaces in every crevice. Even people who aren’t usually reactive are sneezing, snotting and hacking like plague victims, myself included. It’s quite embarrassing actually and I’m currently masking in public so as not to scare anyone.
View attachment 676548
View attachment 676549
Same here in our area especially that yellow "stuff". My DH sounds so horrible my sister actually took me to my Infusion this morning. I usually go myself but of course I have to fall on cement that was wet from our 77% dewpoint yesterday and am now navigating my 6'3 brother's crutches because I rolled my ankle. Big ouch!!! :crutches:

I a going to we went to WDW in May we flew we did not wear masks at all did not get covid, multiple people on the dis said they were they around the same & they wore masks ( religiously-their words)& got covid. so do what makes you comfortable.
Yes, just so. I returned mid-May from a cruise; I was travelling with a friend. We flew out and back together (side by side), shared a cabin and virtually spent every minute of the week together. I masked everywhere that she masked, sanitized when she sanitized, we're both vaccinated and boosted, the same age and in equally good health. She got Covid and I didn't. There's just no rhyme or reason. :confused3

Reactions: Kae
Yes, just so. I returned mid-May from a cruise; I was travelling with a friend. We flew out and back together (side by side), shared a cabin and virtually spent every minute of the week together. I masked everywhere that she masked, sanitized when she sanitized, we're both vaccinated and boosted, the same age and in equally good health. She got Covid and I didn't. There's just no rhyme or reason. :confused3

This is really increasingly what I'm hearing. It's very random...you just never know. DH and I are going to take our trip in a few weeks...and wear KN95 in airport and on flight...and transfer to resort. After that we'll be free...outdoors breathing covid-free air. Wish I didn't have to wear that mask all the way down, but I won't be comfortable taking that risk otherwise. We're not afraid of getting covid, but it would really suck to go to all of the effort to get there to possibly get a case of covid that knocks us out of commission for a few days.

Covid is on the rise again. But, I am hopeful that the severity of the current strain is weaker. I'm having PTSD after working through the pandemic. I don't mean to minimize what other's experience with PTSD, but when I see things images on TV of healthcare workers wearing PPE, I have anxiety. It doesn't affect me to the point of not being able to care for my covid patients. But it I definitely notice anxiety. And now, I'm getting 2-3 positive test returns a day for my patients. That's about 30% of my tests coming back positive again. I have a handful of patients that I'm worried about, but have not needed to admit someone to the hospital since March.
I understand exactly how you feel. :hug:
Hard to say, but anecdotally it seems people I know who have had covid this year, it was more like a really bad cold rather than a life threatening condition. I guess that's the effectiveness of the vaccine? Would seem so.
Even though people feel like they just have a cold, Covid can still damage tissues inside the body.

Kitty, I admitted someone to the hospital recently who had a very bad cough with Covid. So much so he was hacking up greenies. (Yuck!) It’s what brought him to the hospital, the cough, along with some shortness of breath. Everyone will be a little different, and much depends on medical history, though not always. I hope he feels better soon.
I have no idea. My mom was a surgical nurse and a mask was part of her professional routine for 40 years. She always harped on hand washing, not sure if that was a habit she had as a kid or picked up in nursing school, so in her case that was part of her routine for at least 70 years.
And of course in some parts of the world face masks in cold and flu season have been the norm for over 100 years.
Nursing.
I really think personal habits play a large part. You are probably someone who doesn’t touch your nose and face much, right? Knock on wood, none of us have gotten it yet, either.
This is really increasingly what I'm hearing. It's very random...you just never know. DH and I are going to take our trip in a few weeks...and wear KN95 in airport and on flight...and transfer to resort. After that we'll be free...outdoors breathing covid-free air. Wish I didn't have to wear that mask all the way down, but I won't be comfortable taking that risk otherwise. We're not afraid of getting covid, but it would really suck to go to all of the effort to get there to possibly get a case of covid that knocks us out of commission for a few days.
I was at a concert last week. A whole family next to me was wearing KN95s. Problem was, they were really loose on their faces! And we were outside. I know you know this, but tight fitting is key to any mask.

I understand exactly how you feel. :hug:

Even though people feel like they just have a cold, Covid can still damage tissues inside the body.

Kitty, I admitted someone to the hospital recently who had a very bad cough with Covid. So much so he was hacking up greenies. (Yuck!) It’s what brought him to the hospital, the cough, along with some shortness of breath. Everyone will be a little different, and much depends on medical history, though not always. I hope he feels better soon.

Nursing.

I really think personal habits play a large part. You are probably someone who doesn’t touch your nose and face much, right? Knock on wood, none of us have gotten it yet, either.

I was at a concert last week. A whole family next to me was wearing KN95s. Problem was, they were really loose on their faces! And we were outside. I know you know this, but tight fitting is key to any mask.

Yes, I'm a former critical care nurse, so I know about fit-testing....etc. We have some high quality masks, so hoping we'll be okay. I have a sister-in-law who has been swimming in covid since the very beginning of this whole mess....and she still has not gotten covid. She's been tested a zillion times, and has had several antibody tests.

Yes, I'm a former critical care nurse, so I know about fit-testing....etc. We have some high quality masks, so hoping we'll be okay. I have a sister-in-law who has been swimming in covid since the very beginning of this whole mess....and she still has not gotten covid. She's been tested a zillion times, and has had several antibody tests.
DD, also a nurse, is away this week. They wore N95s on the plane, and are masking when indoors. Fingers crossed. Have a great trip!

My husband tested positive for COVID. I decided to test also and was positive. My husband had mild symptoms and I had none. I would have never known I had it if I had not tested. I did feel tired but no more than usual.

My husband tested positive for COVID. I decided to test also and was positive. My husband had mild symptoms and I had none. I would have never known I had it if I had not tested. I did feel tired but no more than usual.
Sorry to hear that. Did you use home tests?

I had a pretty bad cough for a good two weeks.

I picked up some other wretched cold in France last week. It's been less than two months since I had covid and I've tested negative twice, so I'm fairly confident it's not covid again. It seems to be clearing up faster, which is good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter