Is Chef Mickeys even edible anymore?

My biggest gripe with the restaurant, besides the mediocre service and food, is the birds that perch at the very top of the buffet station. They get in and out because of the monorail. I just can't get over the ick factor of seeing them there, a few feet above the food stations. :scared:

We're staying at BLT this year but have decided not to go to Chef Mickey's. (I've been there, but the last time was over 10 years ago. Wife and kids have never been.) It's more expensive than other character meals and doesn't get good reviews, so for my money I'd rather go to places I either know are good from personal experience or that get mostly good reviews. We're doing Ohana, Crystal Palace, & Tusker House breakfasts (all repeats from previous trips), and 1900 Park Fare dinner which is new to us.

If you are staying at BLT, I would definitely recommend 1900 Park Fare for breakfast, the food was so good, with a wide variety to choose from. The character interaction was second to none, and the surroundings beautiful. Garden Grill comes a close second to 1900 PF.

Last year was the first year in the last 7 we haven't been to Chef Mickey's. The food choice is quite good IMHO but it's just a little chaotic for my liking and now we have a soon to be 10y/o I think we can say goodbye to it for good.

If you are staying at BLT, I would definitely recommend 1900 Park Fare for breakfast, the food was so good, with a wide variety to choose from. The character interaction was second to none, and the surroundings beautiful. Garden Grill comes a close second to 1900 PF.

Last year was the first year in the last 7 we haven't been to Chef Mickey's. The food choice is quite good IMHO but it's just a little chaotic for my liking and now we have a soon to be 10y/o I think we can say goodbye to it for good.
We're planning 1900 Park Fare for dinner on our arrival day, because we want to see Cinderella, Lady Tremaine, & the Stepsisters. My younger DD LOVES Cinderella so it's kind of a no-brainer for us to go for the dinner. I'm sure we'll hit 1900 PF breakfast at some point though, since it sounds good as well.

The chaotic & noisy atmosphere at CM is also a turn-off to me. I already find character buffets to be pretty chaotic with young kids, between trying to get food for everyone without missing any characters and getting the kids to actually eat something, it's enough. I don't need extra noise and napkin waving to make it even more difficult, lol.

We went a year ago and it was fine to us. Same as all the other character buffets. I prefer the family style ones instead...

I truly don't understand the hate for Chef Mickey's. Went last September with my 13-member family group. Everybody enjoyed it. I didn't notice anything that made me think it's dirty.
It's not gourmet, but it was perfectly fine.
Of course I am definitely not a foodie, either.
We also loved Chef Mickey's for breakfast. The food was good to us, and we are foodies that generally don't eat at chain restaurants. We also didn't find it dirty, nor was there any napkin waving while we were there. The character interaction was the best of any we'd had on that trip, including CRT, and Akershus.

My biggest gripe with the restaurant, besides the mediocre service and food, is the birds that perch at the very top of the buffet station. They get in and out because of the monorail. I just can't get over the ick factor of seeing them there, a few feet above the food stations. :scared:

So far, this is the one issue I probably would have a problem with. I can deal with mediocre food, crumbs in my hair from swinging napkins, grapes rolling and squished on the floor, loud kids running around and Mickey speeding off from my table, but the thought of feathers or bird poop in my food is just disgusting. Definitely something to reconsider. I LOVE 1900 PF, but I feel like weve done it so much lately, I wanted a change. But, like Cogsworth says "If its not Baroque, dont fix it" !!

Me=It was good
DW=WORST PLACE EVER
DS11=Loved it

We can't go back because the Boss says no, but I thought it was fun. DS wants to go back so that may or may not supercede the Boss' decision. Food was normal buffet, characters were fun and constant, atmosphere was also fun. I say go for it!

This is just my opinion, but I've been to Crystal Palace once and Chef Mickey's once and I thought CP was dirtier, messier, and louder. Not that it matters though, cause the Boss cut CP off the list too!!

EDIT: We didn't see any birds? We were sitting in an area that was covered, and the buffet was right in front of us. It's in no way like eating outside where you feel like you're eating in a wild bird sanctuary.

Haven't been in a few years because we tried it a few times, each time hoping it would be better, and it just wasn't.

Food was edible. That's it. And for those prices, I want better than edible!

What really turned me off was the cleanliness factor--or lack thereof. For some reason, parents seem to let their kids run wild here and not worry about anyone else. I know it's a character meal and I know it's Disney. But I've never seen this level of chaos at any other character meal! Kids running around unsupervised, spilling food everywhere. I swear there was enough food on the floor under the tables to feed an entire village! Kids going up to the buffet, grabbing food with bare hands, and then changing their mind and dumping it back! I saw this myself on more than one occasion!!! Food spilled all over the buffet, things mixed together that shouldn't have been.

Just plain gross.

EDIT: We didn't see any birds? We were sitting in an area that was covered, and the buffet was right in front of us. It's in no way like eating outside where you feel like you're eating in a wild bird sanctuary.

Good to consider! That, so far, would be the only deal breaker for me.

I have seen birds there before, but only perched on the ledge at the entrance of the monorail. If they have become bold enough through the years to fly over to the food area, I cant even think about eating there.

Last edited:
I always get nervous whenever I read the reviews about Chef Mickey's but then we still end up going every trip and every trip we enjoy it. Disclaimer - we always go for dinner, I have never been for breakfast.

Yes, there are some nasty issues with buffets, ANY buffets, in general. Does it thrill me that there are people who use their hands instead of tongs? No (I honestly have only seen this a few times and always with something like rolls, cupcakes, cookies, etc. Thankfully I have never seen anyone dig through the mashed potatoes or scoop up a piece of salmon with their grubby little paws). Does it gross me out that large numbers of people are breathing all over the food, sneezing, etc. Absolutely. But at the end of the day, at a non-buffet restaurant I have no way of REALLY knowing what my food has been through before it makes its way to the table. Being married to someone who was raised by parents who have always owned restaurants, he assures me nothing I see at a buffet is as bad as what is potentially happening in the kitchen. I just keep that in mind since I am not willing to prepare all my own meals while on vacation at WDW.

I have never gotten food poisoning or even felt ill after eating at CM. I know several people who have felt sick after eating at buffets at WDW but I'm guessing that's because they went for the "All You can Eat" factor and then headed out to a nice humid, 95 degree day in the parks.

I just want to know if everyone who complained on these boards about it being so bad also complained to guest services. Did you complain to the manager? The cooks? The wait staff? Maybe they will actually do something if this many people think it's so bad.

I have a breakfast reservation for Chef Mickeys next month. Ive read a few bad reviews, but figured how bad can it really be for breakfast? All I need is some juice, a little fruit and a muffin/danish or something.

Thats ALOT of money for something you can pick up at any quick service location throughout WDW.

Skip it.

If you have a non park day it makes a little more sense, but NEVER for breakfast.

Thats ALOT of money for something you can pick up at any quick service location throughout WDW.

Skip it.

If you have a non park day it makes a little more sense, but NEVER for breakfast.

We are on the DxDDP. It will be on a Magic Kingdom Day. We already have Crystal Palace booked for our other MK Day. We dont stay in the parks much past 2 - 3pm. Im no spring chicken and can no longer do the 7am breakfasts and midnight fireworks! We now take 9, 10, 12 day vacations and just stroll around. We go on the rides with our fastpasses and maybe wait in lines for a couple extra rides each day, but we do a lot of pool time in the afternoons, and go to the waterparks almost every other day so we are not pounding the pavement too much. My daughter is almost 13 and this is probably the last time she will be willing to take pictures with the characters. I think they make such nice memories. I love seeing the growth comparisons through the years too!
We do mostly character buffet/family style meals for breakfast. No matter where I go, Ill spend $$ and not eat a ton for breakfast. Nothing worse than being stuffed, then having to walk around for 6 - 7 hours in the heat. I eat plenty at dinner. App, entree and dessert :)

12038074_902578946443869_8671991330695003063_n.jpg

12037940_902578949777202_4790871240075297659_n.jpg

If you don't eat alot for breakfast and need rest, why not opt for lunches or early dinners during the day once you're tired and need the break?

Seems like it would be a much better value.

If you don't eat alot for breakfast and need rest, why not opt for lunches or early dinners during the day once you're tired and need the break?

Seems like it would be a much better value.
My husband and kids could not wait until lunch for a larger meal. We do a buffet breakfast, and a dinner/dinner show. We dont have breakfast until around 8:30 (get out around 9:30 - 9:45) and have dinner around 5. If someone is hungry, they get an ice cream or some snack. Nobody usually is. I just like the characters when Im at Disney. If I want to go to a good steakhouse, or gourmet brunch, I can stay home and go to plenty of those around the corner from where I live. At Disney, I like to keep it all about Disney!

My boys are now older and dont go with us. My daughter and I dont really eat a lot and my husband will eat those squished floor grapes mentioned above if he could. Im never worried about him finding something he would like. He eats anything! Im not concerned about the price value. Its really just some place decent with characters. Aside from the possible bird poop, I dont see a problem with going to Chef Mickeys. Im going for it and if there are birds, we'll go downstairs and see if there is a table at the Wave. If not, we'll go to the MK and find something at the bakery or an ice cream cart!

I once had dinner at Citricos. I didnt like what I ordered. We left there, and I went to Contempo and got a sandwich. The great thing about WDW is there is always more food around the corner!

these reviews always scare me, and then we end up enjoying it..
i hope that's the case again this year..
i have us reserved at chef mickey's for dinner (as always)..
we're not expecting gourmet....just some food, dessert and mainly the characters...oh and also the monorail...i think the kidlets will like that best of all....(hopefully the monorail will be running when we're there eating)..

as for disgusting buffet food, we've eaten at all of them over the years and so far the only one that caused food poisoning was crystal palace (DD became seriously ill....i won't go into the details, but if you've ever had food poisoning, you know)...
but we're going back to CP anyway....i'm betting DD will stick to the soft drinks and eat a snack before and after...
but the kidlets will enjoy meeting winnie and gang, so DD's willing to tough it out...

We've had breakfast at Chef Mickey's 3X and thought it was very good every time. The food has been hot and plentiful. None of the times we were there was the buffet particularly dirty. The first time we ate there, our server wasn't the greatest, but the other 2 times we had fantastic service. We really enjoy it.

Last, first, only time I went was April 2015. It was the 1st character breakfast I had done since I was a child at Crystal Palace as it was my niece and nephew's 1st trip (1&4yrs old then). We were staying at BLT so it was a no brainer w/ little ones. Although I think the theming lacks (not a fan of modern) and I wouldn't go back cuz I'm a theme person, the food was yummy, lots of options, it was a classic Disney buffet. Our table (8 of us total) was clean, service ok, and I didn't notice anything out of ordinary Disney fare. Mostly though I've never seen so many characters in my life in one place. We got our money's worth in characters for sure! Some came by 3 times and I think we had 6 or 7 different ones show up, cuz Daisy wasn't even supposed to be there, it was awesome!

I'm always amazed by all the negative Chef Mickey's reviews. It's among the hardest places to get a reservation for. Our past two breakfasts there were among the highlights of our trips and the food was hot, fresh and plentiful. The character interaction was average, but I certainly don't feel like it was rushed. Maybe we've been lucky? It's a festive and fun meal. Breakfast there has become a Disney trip tradition for my family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter