Is Cabanas really closed?

MouseinMelbourne

DIS Veteran
Cabanas is closed (on the Fantasy) the first night and the last night. So they are only open ONCE for dinner on a 3 night cruise? Why?? That’s nuts!

Cabanas is closed (on the Fantasy) the first night and the last night. So they are only open ONCE for dinner on a 3 night cruise? Why?? That’s nuts!
That's a typical schedule for Cabana's. It's open daily for breakfast and lunch buffets, and offers a full-service meal on other nights aside from the first and last nights. It isn't nuts: every passenger has complimentary access to an MDR, pool deck counter service, and room service for dinner every single night. So no one is being deprived of dinner food or service by this schedule.

While Cabanas is an option for dinner, I would venture a guess that 90% of guests eat their dinner in the MDRs every night. Unlike other cruise lines, where there are many equivalent options for dinner (dining rooms, specialty restaurants, buffet) plus lesser alternatives (quick service, room service), DCL puts a lot of emphasis on their MDRs as being part of the experience.

While Cabanas is ok for dinner on a longer cruise, when you only have 3 nights, you will want to do the MDRs.
*Is this your first cruise?

Lol, no, not my first cruise. My signature shows 4 completed and 2 more in queue.

We have Palo scheduled the 2nd night. I’ve never been to Cabanas for dinner so I thought that would be great our 3rd (last) night. During my 4 previous cruises we *had* to eat MDR for every single meal beacause my DD had a peanut allergy (since cured). We were actually looking forward to trying something OTHER than MDR. Think about how much of your day is taken up when you do MDR for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every. single. day. Don’t get me wrong, they were absolutely amazing! We are just looking forward to checking out other options now. All that food by the pool? Yep, never been there either.

Lol, no, not my first cruise. My signature shows 4 completed and 2 more in queue.

We have Palo scheduled the 2nd night. I’ve never been to Cabanas for dinner so I thought that would be great our 3rd (last) night. During my 4 previous cruises we *had* to eat MDR for every single meal beacause my DD had a peanut allergy (since cured). We were actually looking forward to trying something OTHER than MDR. Think about how much of your day is taken up when you do MDR for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every. single. day. Don’t get me wrong, they were absolutely amazing! We are just looking forward to checking out other options now. All that food by the pool? Yep, never been there either.

We eat most meals in the MDR for health reasons and I absolutely love it! However, since you want to branch out why not try Cabanas on the night it is open and Palo on the first or last night?

Wonderful news about your daughters allergy!
We have done Cabana's for dinner twice. Its very quiet and we enjoyed it.
They serve the same menu every night I believe.
Guess you will have a chance on one of your other cruises!

Have fun!

Makes sense. You're on a shorter cruise & want to take advantage of your time there as much possible.
I love cabanas at dinner. I once had an extra long nap bc I had a few too many glasses of wine and missed the MDR. Went to cabanas for dinner by myself and a book and it was glorious.

Happy cruisin'.

My unsolicited opinion? Cabanas should be open *as a buffet* for dinner every night. I can't think of one good reason for making it a waiter service dinner. At the least, they could make one side waiter service, and the other a buffet.

My unsolicited opinion? Cabanas should be open *as a buffet* for dinner every night. I can't think of one good reason for making it a waiter service dinner. At the least, they could make one side waiter service, and the other a buffet.

I completely agree. I don’t get it. Cruises...buffets...aren’t they supposed to go together 24/7? :rolleyes1

I think they use Cabanas for people who are in training to be servers.

I do not know this, but I think having a buffet would require many more people to work in that area, which would take away from the main dining areas.

I think they use Cabanas for people who are in training to be servers.

I do not know this, but I think having a buffet would require many more people to work in that area, which would take away from the main dining areas.

That does make sense, actually. Thank you. I feel better. Roflmao!

^^^ This, this, THIS! I agree 100%! It will never happen though. Too many people like the MDR experience.

Are you able to eat in the outdoor seating area of Cabanas for dinner?

The only time we eat at Cabana’s for dinner is longer cruises, for a change!

Shorter cruises we liked to experience all MDR at least once.

Disney tends to pretty sensitive to guests needs and wants. I have to wonder if there just isn't sufficient demand for the buffet on the first and last nights to justify having it open.

Are you able to eat in the outdoor seating area of Cabanas for dinner?

Not in my experience.

Disney tends to pretty sensitive to guests needs and wants. I have to wonder if there just isn't sufficient demand for the buffet on the first and last nights to justify having it open.

To be clear, Cabanas is not a buffet at dinner. It is table service with a set menu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter