Is August that bad?

Last August (second half of the month), the crowds weren't too bad. The heat and humidity combined with exhaustion cut the last day of my Birthday trip short, though. This time around, I'm going to do half days for the most part, so hopefully the heat/humidity won't take as much of a toll.

It is surface of the sun hot in August and the humidity is relentless (I know, I am from FL). We are AP holders so we don't feel the need to be in the parks all day. We beat the heat a by hanging around the resort all day (pool, arcade time etc) and then head to the parks in the evening. We don't step a foot in the park until 5-6pm. Much more manageable. Also bring hand-held fans - great when you are waiting in a crowd to see the fireworks. Sandals are essential due to the rain - I prefer Keen Rose (more cut outs so cooler) and Chacos - both are comfortable and dry out quickly. Enjoy!

I'm definitely not a fan of Orlando in August for doing theme parks. It's too hot, humid, and miserable. If you are in the water all the time vs. doing theme parks, it's fine. But now me, I mostly go to Orlando for the theme parks. If it's a summer visit though I just do the beach, hotel swimming pool, and water parks or stay inside in the air conditioning. Yes IMHO it is that bad. Many people, though, handle the heat and humidity better than me. I on vacation prefer to go at a nice weather time and would for example if costs are higher when the weather is nice, gladly do a three day four night trip instead of a six day seven night trip to stay in budget and go when it is more pleasant (just my priorities).

We did the last week in August 4 times when our kids were in school and loved it. Yes, it's hot but it's hot here Jersey in August so that was ok for us. All of the recommendations above hold true: sunscreen, water, several pair of shoes, afternoon breaks, and patience. In 2015 we went in Sept and in 2017 we went in October and both trips were more crowded. Yes, it was Food and Wine in 2017 and there were a lot of rescheduled hurricane guests but all the parks were more crowded both times. For us August was really fun and a great way to end the summer.

End of August crowds are not bad at all comparatively. August heat is unbearable unless prepared. 3 tips for the heat:
1) cooling towels (total life saver)
2) mister/fan (you can buy them the size of your palm now at Walmart for around $3)
3) water (anywhere in Disney that you can buy a drink in a cup, you can get cups of free water!)

End of August crowds are not bad at all comparatively. August heat is unbearable unless prepared. 3 tips for the heat:
2) mister/fan (you can buy them the size of your palm now at Walmart for around $3)
3) water (anywhere in Disney that you can buy a drink in a cup, you can get cups of free water!)

How often do you need to re-dunk the cooling towels? Just curious. We take pretty frequent bathroom breaks, so it’s fine, just curious.

I've been considering the misters, but I was worried that people around us would get annoyed. Do you find that to be the case?

How often do you need to re-dunk the cooling towels? Just curious. We take pretty frequent bathroom breaks, so it’s fine, just curious.
Approximately every hour to hour and a half. Walking by a water fountain works well for wetting them also. I swear those towels are some of the greatest things invented!

We did the last week in August 4 times when our kids were in school and loved it. Yes, it's hot but it's hot here...
That's how I feel about visiting WDW in summer, too. It's hot, but it's even hotter in central Texas where we live. Also, WDW has great water parks we like to visit, and the pools at their deluxe resorts are great.

We do midday breaks & tour mostly during morning & evening, swim or chill indoors in the afternoon. We dress properly for touring in hot & wet conditions: hats, sunglasses, ponchos, waterproof sandals, no denim, etc. We also only carry the barest of bare necessities around the parks, not lugging around large bags with snacks, water bottles, or anything else heavy or tiring. Our method works & it's great.

And with summer crowds & prices being lower, summer can be an awesome time to visit.

Last edited:
I have Disney ponchos that are over 10 years old that I use both at home and at Disney.

Over time it's cheaper to buy a better product and reuse it rather than buying disposable junk (and creating more plastic landfill waste).
I am coming around to this idea. Most trips we haven't needed a poncho, sometimes just one so it wasn't really an issue. Definitely think this is something to think about with an August trip, either packing reusable or buying them at Disney.

I've been considering the misters, but I was worried that people around us would get annoyed. Do you find that to be the case?
Oh the misters are our life saver! We would never go in summer without them. They have never bothered anyone around us. They only spray a short distance and we make sure people are not real close. We get ours from Walmart.

Ummm, not sure we will be able to do it. We live in way upstate NY, where the schools sometimes shutdown because the temps are -30. On our trip in January, we had to leave the park so the kids could swim because they were complaining of the heat, which wasn’t quite 80 degrees. We were quite spoiled that trip with next to no lines. Our boys have some sensory issues, and the crowds might be too much for them as well.

I'm from Buffalo and we go in August. It's all about managing expectations. DON'T try to do too much in one day. We do 6 or so hours at the parks max, and then the rest of the day (whether pre or post park) is relaxing at the hotel, in the pool, or at Disney Springs etc. But we do very long stays. So that makes the shorter days at the park fine. If you do a short trip, my strategy might not work as well.

We always went in late August and it was surface of the sun hot and humid. However, the key was to get an early start, stay at the parks until 1, then head back to the resort for rest and swimming, and finally head back to the parks around 6. it used to be a lot better when the parks were kept open later. With the continued degradation in EMH your mileage may vary.

The last time we went to Disney was in January we stayed at the Polynesian and loved it. We are now considering going in late August, but are very concerned about both crowds and heat. Is August really that bad? It would be a considerable savings for us to go in August which is the only reason I’m considering it.

Late august is usually cheaper and less crowded. Me and my sister’s birthdays are both in late august and every time we are there for our birthdays the hotel rates are cheap and crowds are low because kids are back in school. And the heat issue depends on your family. For example, I don’t mind being in parks during the days in the summer because I don’t sweat a lot but my boyfriend is the opposite, so we hang out by the pools during the days and just go to parks in the late afternoon until they close that night. Personally, I don’t think august is bad at all. However, I’m a born and raised Floridian so maybe my family is more used to high temps at Disney.

We went last August, from the 16th-21st. It was unbearably hot but we literally walked onto everything in the morning at MK. Midday pool time at Storm Along Bay was so clutch. In hindsight, it is probably my favorite trip I've taken.

If you want to feel like you're spending the day in a steam room, drenched in sweat and singing along to the melody of massive crowds, body odor, and guaranteed thunderstorms everyday, have at it. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter