Is anyone else skipping 2020 disney ?

You can get your money back now ...you just need to call. We had our APs returned as i don’t know when we will be back. now

I know, but I honestly don't want to. I'm an essential gov't worker in NYC and I've been working basically nonstop since all this started to the point of burnout. Even if all I end up doing is eating dole whip on the Poly beach it'll be worth it.

You can get your money back now ...you just need to call. We had our APs returned as i don’t know when we will be back. now

You received a refund on the remaining portion of your AP or just the value of the 117 days when the park was closed?

We purchased & paid in full Jan 2020 and would consider canceling if we could get a credit from March-January 2021. But I didn't think that was an option.

We cancelled just last week. We will not be going in 2020. Only we've been planning this trip since 2018! So our initial countdown number was 860 days. We made it all the way to 70 days, and then cancelled it and now it's back to 362 days.
It's a bummer, but you know what...it's 2020. And that's all that needs to be said. :)

I think a lot will be cancelling -- just taking the virus out of the equation. Not all the resorts will be open, attractions closed, have to jump through hoops of the reservations system .. etc.

I had a trip that was cancelled for last week -- and won't really think about rescheduling unless:

1) Disney is offering huge discounts to make up for the reduced experiences (which they won't do because they are trying to keep demand and capacity low)

2) Things start to go back to normal (minimally .. no masks required .. more attractions open back up .. the resort I want to stay at is open .. etc.)

2020 was a skip year for us anyways, but I am betting 2021 will be as well. There has not been too many years in the past 15-16 where we skipped two years straight, but I am certain it will be in our forecast now. We will most likely not return until 2022 or later but we still may visit Florida. Heck, my husband is getting to go next week.:headache: But it is a free deep sea fishing trip through an affiliation of his.

I would cancel in a heartbeat if Disney would allow me to roll my 70 2019 banked points. Unfortunately, with a March use year, and a reservation for mid-July, they won't. I really don't want to go with the Covid numbers exploding in Orange County (15% positive), but may have to give it a go. I would love to go later, but my wife and I are teachers and the only time we can go is in the summer. Bummed about the whole mess.
We are similar. DVC points that expire and with two kids in college, we are locked in to this summer. Next chance would be Mid-Dec and neither our DVC points or AP's will be good. So, despite everything, we are going...
ETA: Our dd20 began the DCP back in Feb only to be sent home in March. We had cancelled March, April and May trips...bought AP's since dd was in the program and we were going all out to see her a ton. Didn't work out so good.

Last edited:
We are DVC members and have also canceled all trips until Summer 2021. Hoping for the best for everyone in this trying time. We are not willing to pay full price for only a partially open Disney with all these hoops to jump through, not that we would go anyway with the rising Covid #s in Florida right now.

The funny thing is that one reason we settled on 2020 was that we didn't want to go during the 50th anniversary year. And now we're going then. The only saving grace is that they won't be starting the celebrating right at the start of the year, but with so many people cancelling this year, I still wonder if that will add to the crowds next year or if there will be enough people waiting longer to keep it pretty much the same as always. (I feel like all I ever do when planning a Disney trip is try to second guess the crowd level. ;) )

we officially cancelled our trip over the weekend. Super bummed about it but we know it was the right choice. We were due to be there for 10 days and we felt the was just too long with wearing a mask in the heat and with having less offerings and shorter park times. This was the first time our family was going to be back in the world at the same time and 2 years since any of us had been so we started the countdown a while ago. But it is what it is and 2020 is just going to be a wash. We will rebook for next year and hope that things get back to somewhat normal then.

You received a refund on the remaining portion of your AP or just the value of the 117 days when the park was closed?

We purchased & paid in full Jan 2020 and would consider canceling if we could get a credit from March-January 2021. But I didn't think that was an option.
i received FULL REFUND as i hadn’t activated the passes yet. the plan was to activate it in april and that never materialized. but the woman on the phone said if i had activated i could still get a partial. hope that helps

I am glad that we were able to get a trip in last year. No way would I feel comfortable going now with the virus---especially with it being so crazy in Florida right now. Our next trip was planned for next summer, but that is potentially up in the air depending on the conditions of the virus. I am also heavily concerned about what the overall experience will be. If it isn't like Disney used to be (character dining, fireworks, wide array of places to eat and menu variety etc) then we might reconsider and start venturing out to other places outside of Disney. I am also worried that there is going to be a crazy influx of people there next summer between all the canceled vacations and it being the 50th anniversary. Time will tell if we are destined to be back in WDW or not.

Flashback to Sept. 2019; I had just finished my first AP - four trips from California the last one being 12 days. I figured no trip in 2019. I got an AP two days before they raised the price in Feb. with the plan to go to The World for the MK's 50th.

But then the shutdown happened in March. In May I decided to go this September. I'm still going! I'm pretty excited about it.

Our Aps were extended to November (March trip was cancelled) so we currently have a week in November planned with park reservations secured.
We'll be watching blogs/facebook pages to see how things go down there and decide early Nov if we will cancel and call it a loss on the AP.
At the moment, wearing a sweaty mask with obstructed breathing does not sound appealing for vacation.

Had a trip planned for just before Christmas, that was off-site. Now staying on-site in May, instead. I’ve already had COVID, and along with my kids, we were among the overwhelming majority who only had very minor symptoms. For whatever reason, my wife didn’t get it (but still quarantined with us) or did and the anti-bodies test was wrong (always a possibility). I just won’t wear a mask all day when I and my family are spending thousands of dollars to relax and enjoy ourselves, and who knows what fireworks or parades will even operating then....plus no hopping is almost a dealbreaker.

I'm booked for August - not sure whether I'll follow through with it. It feels reckless. I feel reasonably OK about Disney itself - I have no problem wearing the mask, distancing, and taking personal responsibility for my comfort level, but I worry about the flight, the airport, and those who might be more lax, especially after seeing many questions along the lines of, "Can I walk around without a mask if I _____?" Rising numbers at home and in Florida are extremely worrisome. Disney is in a horrible position - I'm not one to be all "They're perfect," but we all need to be realistic about what it's taking for them to reopen given the situation (an incredibly contagious virus that can be spread without symptoms/with minimal symptoms for days or weeks - and a small subset of people looking to skirt restrictions) - the communication could be much, much better, admittedly. I do think they're letting Universal play the guinea pig a bit, but there is just a lot more to Disney than Universal. Although the cost doesn't affect me as much because it's a quick 3-4 day trip with a few family members who've all been to Disney 4 million times, it's hard to see a visit right now as being "worth it" for new or intermittent Disney travelers.

All that said, I lose nothing if I do cancel or delay - but the one thing that bothers me is this... Sure, I can delay, and I likely will - but I think it's going to be a long time before things are "normal" again; it's likely that at some point before "normalcy" returns, I'll travel somewhere beyond my state/beyond my immediate control. I guess I just need to decide when that will happen.

Yes. We were supposed to go in May, moved it to October, and are now moving it to next year. Hopefully late Spring sometime.

I was planning to do a short-planned trip this summer, but the shutdown happened before I made any reservations or bought any tickets. As I read through all the threads about planned trips the past few weeks, I've been thankful I procrastinated. We weren't able to make it last year and we won't be going this year. By the time we do go, I should have a ton of Southwest and Disney rewards to pay for almost everything. :)

DVC Owners - cancelled all of 2020. Next BOOKED DVC visit: APR 2021.
We are dealing with stolen points, by RENTING them - everything with an EXP of March 31, 2021.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter