Is a Honey Baked Ham worth the money?

ClarabelleCowFan

<font color=teal>Found Someone You Have<br><font c
The kids have requested a ham for Christmas dinner this year so I thought a Honey Baked ham would be perfect until I priced them out. :scared1:

The 8 lb ham seems to run about $50. There is a $9 coupon online but that is still $41 for just the entree!

Are they worth the money?

Is the 8lb going to be too much ham? We will have 3 adults, 2 teenagers and 1 child for the meal.

Can I make one that tastes just as good much cheaper?

Have you ever had one before? I personally don't like them and think $10 would be too much! I prefer a salter ham verse a sweet ham. I know that some of the store hams have a glaze packet with them. I remember my grandma putting pineapple slices and cherries on a ham and using orange juice as a glaze. This added a sweetness without being too sweet.

Personally I think they are.

My DH is the kind of guy who doesn't like to spend money needlessly. Lately I have been getting a honey baked ham for Easter and usually Christmas. For Thanksgiving my mom decided to buy a regular ham from the grocery store. She said, "Isn't this better than paying $40 for a ham?" After dinner, DH said, "Next time we are going back to honey baked ham!" I said, "But I thought you would like this grocery store one since it is so much cheaper." He said, "I don't care. The honey baked one is so much better. The spiral cut makes slicing easier. Plus the flavor can't be beat."

So, that is a testimonial from my ... frugal ... DH.

Maggie

I forgot to mention too that if you call ahead of time and place an order, you can order a smaller ham. If you just walk in to pick one up, they only have the half hams available (at least at my store).

I'm not sure what size ham for you to get. I usually just ask them at the store what size I should get after I tell them how many people.

I also recommend the smoked turkey breast!

Maggie

I love ham and haven't had one in awhile so that is what I am hoping to make for New Years Day dinner.
I'm sure a honey baked ham would be nice. I plan to hit the 99cents a pound sale on the bone- in Ham. It will cost maybe 15 dollars or so, and feed 4 adults and 2 children with plenty of leftovers.
Do a search for a good recipe, or ask here.. I am sure these ladies have some great ones they use!
I try several glazes or rubs, but I have never made one that the whole family didn't love and I have never paid more than 20 dollars. :)

I agree with Maggie. The Honey Baked is the way to go. I don't even particularly like ham, and I enjoy this for the holidays.

A tip from our house. We don't ever put the whole ham into the oven. Since it is precooked. We just take slices off the bone, estimating what everyone will eat, and heat those, in the oven, in a pyrex or corning ware dish. That way none of the ham is reheated multiple times. We always get a few meals from the ham, and none of it goes to waste.

If you think the 8lb is too big. They now have a boneless pre-sliced ham 3-4 pounds. We have had both, and they are both good. We usually just get the smallest bone in ham, they can find us.

If you decide you want one. I would go early this week. The lines at our store are out of control the last few days before the holiday. I will be picking up our ham on Tuesday or Wednesday at the absolute latest.

A much cheaper and still yummy spiral cut ham can be had a Costco. That is what I buy every year for Christmas eve dinner and everyone loves it! It's the same exact thing as honey baked, but you make the mix and put it on the ham. The mix takes about 2 minutes to make and it is yummy! Plus, for around $20 bucks or so (maybe a tad higher) it is a darn good deal. Put the ham in a pan and heat it up.

Heading to costco in a day or two, so I will post what they cost.

Fresh & Easy sells a spiral sliced ham that's $14 and DH LOVES it. Also, Sam's Club sells a good spiral ham.

Honey Baked hams are good; I like the convenience of shipping them. We sent one to relatives in Southern California for Thanksgiving. Just ordered it on the Internet; and it was delivered the day before Thanksgiving. I sliced it when we got there & we served it cold. Tasty.

I have to agree with fruitcruise, the Costco spiral ham is a great ham! I bought for our Christmas party this year and it was literally the hit of the party....everyone kept asking me where did I get it! I bought one of the smaller ones since we also had some other food and it was eaten literally to the bone :thumbsup2

Never had a honey ham but cooking a ham is easy. If i can cook one anyone can-lol!

precooked spiral ham from grocery store. We get it with bone in. UNwrap and rinse off the ham with water. Then place it in a reynold bag but first follow instructions for bag i think its put one teaspoon or tablespoon of flour in the bag and shake then put ham in.I put in a few gloves into the ham.

I put one can of crushed pineapple(in it syrup) in a big bowl. Then I put a 1/2 box of brown sugar and mix. The I pour it over the ham and put some in between the layers of the spiral ham. Tie bag and add a few holes then follow cooking instructions. I always get compliments on my ham. I've been asked twice if it was from the honey ham place.

When we serve i take out the gloves and scrape off the crushed pineapple. Dh cuts the ham and puts on a platter. Keep the juice from the cooked ham and spoon over the ham slices is optinal but not to much

Honeybaked is foolproof and good imho. I buy two every holiday season.

Worth every penny. My DH is not a ham lover and he thought it was great. Had leftovers the whole week also. So convenient also.

We will never buy a honey baked ham again. It was extremely fatty, I ended up throwing most of it away. It was thawed when it arrived - I mail ordered it. The company refused to replace it, they told me just to refreeze it but use it within a month. Definitely not worth the price.

I have always gotten one for every holiday since our heavenly ham location closed a few years ago until this Thanksgiving. It was always a must, but this Thanksgiving everyone got mad at my sister and she was doing the dinner and getting the ham. Well, no one wanted to eat with her, so around 10pm the night before I had to pull together a Thanksgiving dinner. I went to Kroger and got a Turkey and Spiral sliced ham and then I used a copycat recipe I found online to make the ham and it was great and I honestly couldn't believe how cheap Ham was on sale compared to what I was used to paying at Honeybaked.

I would have answered yes a month ago, but now I can't see ever going back, to me it is now a waste of money.

Years ago they were fabulous. My dad would get us one every year for Christmas and we loved it.

A few years back they started making them much sweeter and it is too much. Yuck! I felt really bad asking my dad to stop wasting his money on them as they became too gross to eat.

My dad actually makes the best ham. He uses the cloves, pineapple and cherries. YUMMY!

I'm struggling with the decision this year. I've been chastised by my children that it isn't Christmas without a Honey Baked ham and sauerkraut balls in the years I tried to do something different.

A few years ago, I tried the AllRecipes recipe (butane torch and all) and it really just was not the same. I hate spending the money on it, but it never goes to waste, everyone loves it, we even use the bone for beans for New Years.

While I personally really like Honey Baked ham, sometimes it's just not something I want to budget for. In that case we get a local brand, Dearborn Ham. It is spiral sliced and precooked. Not quite as good as Honey Baked, but cheaper and very, very good.

Not sure what their sales area is, I am in South East Michigan.

I've only had one once and it wasn't that good. It could have been the fault of the woman who brought it though because she said the store told her not to bake the ham but to serve it at room temperature. It wasn't quite room temp and was still cold in the middle - yuck.

We've made some very good hams in our oven - I used the allrecipes.com version for honey baked ham glaze http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/honey-glazed-ham/Detail.aspx along with many other glazes all with good results. I don't see the justification for a Honey Baked Ham.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter