Is a Cricut worth it?

ElenaRN

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow.....
Hi all,
Hubby was thinking of getting me a Circuit for Christmas. Can someone explain how it works? Meaning I know you have to buy the vinyl but do you have to buy the designs also. Can you find them online for free?
How user friendly is it? Is there a huge learning curve?
It would be for personal use only. I wouldn't be trying to sell anything.
Thanks.

It would depend on what you are using it for. I scrapbook and use it all the time for that. I have a subscription for cricut access which is where you would get a lot of free things to use along with images you can purchase. There are a lot of tutorials out there to help you get started.

All of the cutters are pretty easy to use. Sometimes the cut settings take a bit of trial and error, so scrap material is your friend. I'm not sure about the Cricut software, I have a Silhouette. The concept is the same, just different brands. For Silhouette studio, you can buy images or create your own with jepgs.

But just having the machine saves me A LOT of money. There are so many fun things I almost buy but then realize I can just make it myself for 1/4 of the price.

I’ve had one for many years, scrapbooking, party decorating. I have always used their
Cartridges and never upgraded to the “new” stuff. I do use it but like everything else, it depends on how much time you want to devote to ur hobby and do you have the space to leave it out …to use it?
They be gotten much more expensive and I’m not convinced the price point is justified. I’d try second hand as people clear out, upgrade etc.
I’ve never had any trouble with mine, typical replacement of cutter blades. Good quality product.

Thanks for the replies.
I would be using it for personal use mostly vacation Ts etc.
Not trying to sell anything, maybe some gifts for grandparents, or the kids teachers/coaches etc.

Until you get used to making your own designs on Cricut's Design Space software, you can buy svg files from etsy for shirts and other gifts. Search for 'disney svg' on etsy and you will get a ton of results. Stick with a file that is made from 1 single color at first, then branch out into more complex designs with multiple colors. Upload the file to design space and you will be ready to cut your vinyl with your Cricut. Youtube can be your new best friend, there are lots of great tutorials. Other places online, such as Jennifer Maker, have tutorials as well.

All of the cutters are pretty easy to use. Sometimes the cut settings take a bit of trial and error, so scrap material is your friend. I'm not sure about the Cricut software, I have a Silhouette. The concept is the same, just different brands. For Silhouette studio, you can buy images or create your own with jepgs.

But just having the machine saves me A LOT of money. There are so many fun things I almost buy but then realize I can just make it myself for 1/4 of the price.

For what it's worth, DW (who owns both) says that Silhouette is the easier of the two brands of machines to learn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter