Is 6 days too much for DL alone?

OFF TO WDW!

Mouseketeer
We are going to DL in April, and because of several factors, we have to change how many days we stay. We are currently scheduled for 5 full days. We have the option of cutting that back to four days, or extending it to 6 days.

Some factors to consider:

A) We are mainly DL fans, and we will spend some time in CA, but we mainly want to stay in DL.

B) Not sure end of April is swimming weather, so I don't know if I can factor that in, bt if it is swimming weather we would like to dedicate some time for that.

c) we are not going to leave the property for any reason ( even though DS 14 is a fanatical Lakers fan, he LOVEs DL THAT much and wants to stay there.

I am not so concerned with the additional money if the stay is longer, but from what I read, 6 days may seem too much.

Can I get some objective opinions on this please.

Thanks

:)

I doubt anyone here is going to tell you there is such thing as too much DL. We've done 4, 5, and 6 days (see my siggy), and I have to say I prefer 6 days...

A: this allows us to go back to the room for a nap everyday, and maybe hit the pool for an hour or so if it is warm, and not feel like we are missing valuable park time.

B: also allows for us to be there for more entertainment nights, so we aren't trying to cram WOC, F! and Fireworks into the same night, or 2 nights.

C: allows us to slow our pace a bit, and take time to go see Crush, do the animation academy, see Alladin etc... less than 6 days, and I feel like we have to do more planning and less taking time to breathe...

You'll have a great time no matter what... but IMO 6 days is just about perfect.

I personally like 4 and 5 at the most. Because DL is significantly smaller than WDW and I'm not sure our family would do 6. Maybe take one day to go somewhere else?

We are going to DL in April, and because of several factors, we have to change how many days we stay. We are currently scheduled for 5 full days. We have the option of cutting that back to four days, or extending it to 6 days.

Some factors to consider:

A) We are mainly DL fans, and we will spend some time in CA, but we mainly want to stay in DL.

B) Not sure end of April is swimming weather, so I don't know if I can factor that in, bt if it is swimming weather we would like to dedicate some time for that.

c) we are not going to leave the property for any reason ( even though DS 14 is a fanatical Lakers fan, he LOVEs DL THAT much and wants to stay there.

I am not so concerned with the additional money if the stay is longer, but from what I read, 6 days may seem too much.

Can I get some objective opinions on this please.

Thanks

I don't know if we're exactly objective :)

However, we spent 9 days at Disneyland over Christmas, making the most of our VERY EXPENSIVE premium annual passports, and we had a fantastic time all 9 days of it. We did, however, leave the parks most afternoons (and the afternoons we didn't, we arrived late), and often had lunch with fixings from our room at the pool patio, took a swim, napped in the sun and then headed back. If you take it slow, like we did, 6 days is not too much.

Six days of solid park time might be a bit much, but the longer trip would allow you to go at a slower pace and do other things around the resort. For example, you could get to DL at rope drop, and spend the morning going on rides and gathering Fastpasses. Go back to your hotel for a rest, have lunch at DTD or at one of the hotel restaurants. Take a swim (April is usually warm enough to swim). Go back to the park later for the nighttime entertainment, dinner and to use the Fastpasses you gathered in the morning. You could take your time doing some of the things that often get rushed or skipped on shorter trips. Wander through the entire Animation Building at DCA. Look at the exhibits at the Disney Gallery, rest your feet and watch Mr. Lincoln. Ride the Mark Twain and the Columbia. Got to the Tiki Room. Get a snack and do some people watching. Wander through the stores at DTD. I think it sounds like a nice, unhurried trip! Have fun!:)

Six days of solid park time might be a bit much, but the longer trip would allow you to go at a slower pace and do other things around the resort. For example, you could get to DL at rope drop, and spend the morning going on rides and gathering Fastpasses. Go back to your hotel for a rest, have lunch at DTD or at one of the hotel restaurants. Take a swim (April is usually warm enough to swim). Go back to the park later for the nighttime entertainment, dinner and to use the Fastpasses you gathered in the morning. You could take your time doing some of the things that often get rushed or skipped on shorter trips. Wander through the entire Animation Building at DCA. Look at the exhibits at the Disney Gallery, rest your feet and watch Mr. Lincoln. Ride the Mark Twain and the Columbia. Got to the Tiki Room. Get a snack and do some people watching. Wander through the stores at DTD. I think it sounds like a nice, unhurried trip! Have fun!:)

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I can make 6 days work!

We just did 6 a couple weeks ago and LOVED it!!! Gonna always do 6 from now on if we can. We were having so much fun we ended up staying a 6th night at GCH for an amount I never want to think of and still can't believe we paid it, just because we didn't want to leave and wanted to stay until closing at 12. Do it, do it, do it! You can enjoy things and soak it all in. It's wonderful!!!

My wife and I have attended Disneyland twice, both for 5 days. Last time was a rush, no days outside the park and we feel 5 is perfect. We like to catch all the shows and take in all the experiences and 5 days just does it! We would be up for 6 though!!!:cool1:

Maybe I've just done DL too many times, but I think six days is too much for Disneyland alone. However, why not hit some other sights in Orange County? Even Knott's for a day or a day at the beach in Huntington?

I think you said elsewhere but when in April? Hours and crowds change a lot in that month. It would be nice to use midday breaks when the crowds are worst and you have long hours to use.

It's mostly likely there will be swimming weather, but if hours are short it may be less interesting to swim in the morning or at night.

Short answer: no way! As long as everyone in your party loves Disneyland, 6 days is not too long!

We love 6 day trips!! When we had APs we actually did 3 6-day trips in 9 months. It allows time to see all, do all and not feel overwhelmed. Though DL is smaller than WDW, it has nearly as many rides. And end of April may be warm enough for swimming.

I would do 5 if all your doing is Disneyland Resort (DCA, Downtown Disney, hotel swimming, and Disneyland). I would add the sixth day if you change your mind and rent a car to go to the beach one day.

Where are you staying?

You don't mean 6 days in just DL do you? I assume you mean DLR and will do lots of park hopping between DL and DCA. And when you said not spending much time in CA, you meant other California attractions? If you truely meant only in Disneyland you would be missing out on so much!

Anyway, 6 days is not too long for DLR. For the past several years our trips have grown to about 5 days. This July it will 5 1/2 days for us. With all the new things they have been adding at DCA, we feel more time is needed. We stay at CCI and go back to the room for an afternoon nap.

Several years back, I had a block of vacation that I had to use or lose; I did a 6-day trip to the Disneyland Resort by myself, and it was... interesting. The first night was at DL, while the second day I went DCA for the first time (I believe the comments I made were, "I'm glad I didn't pay full price," "Is this it? Three hours worth of stuff to do?" and "I liked it better as a parking lot."). The third day my honeybear (whom I was just beginning to date) joined me and it was a fun day.

By the fourth day, I was tired. Instead of rushing to the next ride, I just ambled around looking at things and went on whatever struck my fancy. On the fifth day, I have to admit that I was bored. The sixth (and final) day, however, I had some family join me, so it was fun again.

YMMV.

I will add to the enabling and say 6 days sounds wonderful. We usually do 5 days, even with AP's, but it's mostly a work/school schedule factor, not because we wouldn't do 6.

We do stick in a mid week afternoon at the beach. We are landlocked and are beach people (DH and I) so we take our kids to the beach on a Tues. or Weds. afternoon for a couple of hours. (Okay, we really take ourselves to the beach since we miss it so much, we just use the kids as an excuse, lol.)

We do also swim in the afternoons on some days or we might go to the parks from opening to about dinner time and then leave since we'll have been on all of our favorite rides multiple times (we go off-season).

We don't feel a great push to be there every day from open to close if we have 5 or more days. If we go for a shorter time - we spend more time in DLR and are there open to close.

We also open DCA one day, instead of DL, so we can ride Toy Story and Screamin' first.

I think you said elsewhere but when in April? Hours and crowds change a lot in that month. It would be nice to use midday breaks when the crowds are worst and you have long hours to use.

It's mostly likely there will be swimming weather, but if hours are short it may be less interesting to swim in the morning or at night.

Just realize we are a family that has been to WDW a lot of times and average about 8 nights a trip to cover MK, Epcot, Ak and Downtown Disney. and usually cover eveything and then some. That's what my thoughts were when figuring 6 days in mostly DisneyLand.

You don't mean 6 days in just DL do you? I assume you mean DLR and will do lots of park hopping between DL and DCA. And when you said not spending much time in CA, you meant other California attractions? If you truely meant only in Disneyland you would be missing out on so much!

Anyway, 6 days is not too long for DLR. For the past several years our trips have grown to about 5 days. This July it will 5 1/2 days for us. With all the new things they have been adding at DCA, we feel more time is needed. We stay at CCI and go back to the room for an afternoon nap.

We will do some California Adventure, but mostly just Disneyland and some time swimming if weather permits. It's our first, and probably only trip, or at least for some time to California from N.J.

I think you'll end up spending more time in DCA than you think, especially with a 14 year old. We spent lots more time their on our last two trips than we thought we would.

I think you'll end up spending more time in DCA than you think, especially with a 14 year old. We spent lots more time their on our last two trips than we thought we would.

Ditto. There is really quite a lot to do in DCA. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!