Ireland travel questions

brandelle

Earning My Ears
Hello all...I will be travelling to Ireland from the US in May 2004 and have a couple of questions.
As I am on a frequent flier ticket, I had to book into London Gatwick (as Ireland wasn't available the dates I wanted, as I am trying to catch the Fleadh Nua festival in Ennis, Clare). I am looking for an airline to get me from London Gatwick to Dublin. I arrive in LGW on May 23, 2004 at 9:00 and leave LGW on June 7, 2004 at 12:10. I have looked at RyanAir, but am looking for anyone with an opinion as to whether they are a good airline or with other suggestions. As I am flying in from the US, I assume I'll have to get my checked bags and go through customs before re-checking in with the next airline to Ireland.
My next question is whether it is advisable to try and fly from Dublin to LGW to US on the same day, or if I should go into London on Sunday and to the US on Monday. How busy is customs, or how does it work flying from Ireland to UK and UK to US?
Help! Thank you for any help, as this is my first international trip!
Brandelle :p

I've only been to Dublin once (last June) but as you've had no other replies I thought I'd let you know how I got on.

We flew with British Midland from Heathrow (this was lucky as that weekend Ryan Air pilots went on strike - but that's sorted out now). I don't know about Gatwick services.

The flight was less than one hour. There were random checks on luggage and searches - I wasn't stopped but my friend was stopped 3 times. Luggage is checked for security but not by customs as we have British passports - I don't know what the procedure is for other nationalities.

Unless you want to visit UK as well I personally wouldn't stop over but just get the travelling done as the trip to Ireland is so short.

I hope a more frequent visitor can give you more detailed help.

Libby

Hi Brandelle :)

Ryan Air is pretty dependable and used by many business people.

I'm afraid I haven't experienced going to Ireland although my DH has but from the regional London airport - Stansted so I can't help with your questions re Gatwick.

Please subscribe to the thread as hopefully someone will be able to answer this for you soon :)

we have used Ryanair regularly for trips to Ireland.....and for a no-frills airline, I couldnt fault them
We usually fly out from Stanstead tho, not used Gatwick so sorry I cant vouch for that.

Re the connecting flights.......personally I would try a stop over just in case of any delays...but then i am a pessimist.........enjoy ur holiday tho

:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter