Ireland: The Emerald Isle Meets Thread

Hey Emerald Isle folks--

We are getting really close to the summer trips. We just got back from the Wonder on the Repo cruise to Vancouver. It was absolutely fantastic but now we are gearing up for Ireland.

I am doing our final budgeting but wanted to know how much everyone was estimated for "extra expenses" (not including Adventure Guide tips). We only spent about $500 extra for the three of us in Greece but I believe Greece was significantly less expensive than Ireland. What is everyone else planning?

:hourglass

We have to budget a little more especially for DH golf at Dromoland. ;)

BTW... Just got our backpacks and trip handbook today! It is getting closer!

We have to budget a little more especially for DH golf at Dromoland. ;)

BTW... Just got our backpacks and trip handbook today! It is getting closer!

I got our ABD box today too!! I saw your post while waiting for DD to get her hair trimmed and she couldn't wait to get home to see if our box had arrived. :cool1:
The new backpacks are not going to work for us at all. :sad2: Since we are doing Germany and then Ireland we had requested to get the ABD embroidered blankets rather than backpacks for the 2nd ABD trip. Unfortunately, each box contained 2 backpacks. So now we have 4 ugly, unstructured backpacks. Sent an email to my TA to see why the mistake. Maybe they don't offer the blankets anymore.

For my DD and I we're trying to keep each adventure to 500 Euros (not including tips for the guides). I am not a big drinker and don't enjoy beer or wine so I don't anticipate needing to pay any extra for alcohol. That will save some $$. I have some cushion for going over so we'll see.

We leave home in exactly 2 weeks to spend 2 days in New York, then on to Germany. We'll arrive in Dublin in the afternoon on June 30th. Is anyone else arriving early so we can say hello. :wave2:

I got our ABD box today too!! I saw your post while waiting for DD to get her hair trimmed and she could wait to get home to see if our box had arrived. :cool1:
The new backpacks are not going to work for us at all. :sad2: Since we are doing Germany and then Ireland we had requested to get the ABD embroidered blankets rather than backpacks for the 2nd ABD trip. Unfortunately, each box contained 2 backpacks. So now we have 4 ugly, unstructured backpacks. Sent an email to my TA to see why the mistake. Maybe they don't offer the blankets anymore.

For my DD and I we're trying to keep each adventure to 500 Euros (not including tips for the guides). I am not a big drinker and don't enjoy beer or wine so I don't anticipate needing to pay any extra for alcohol. That will save some $$. I have some cushion for going over so we'll see.

We leave home in exactly 2 weeks to spend 2 days in New York, then on to Germany. We'll arrive in Dublin in the afternoon on June 30th. Is anyone else arriving early so we can say hello. :wave2:

I requested the blankets. We have two of them. I don't find them very practical for travel. They fold into a 13x12 inch rectangle that is almost 2 inches thick. I was expecting something smaller that would fit easily into my backpack without taking up all the space. We received them back in February and they are both still in the plastic wrapping.

I requested the blankets. We have two of them. I don't find them very practical for travel. They fold into a 13x12 inch rectangle that is almost 2 inches thick. I was expecting something smaller that would fit easily into my backpack without taking up all the space. We received them back in February and they are both still in the plastic wrapping.

I thought the blanket would be a little more useable. Thank you for the info, Bobo912.

We got our box today, too! We have a hundred backpacks so we got the jr adventurer camera case and one pillow. I know I am in the minority but I thought the pillow was cute! We are calling it a cuddle up-it for adults.

Thanks for the info on budgeting. I had about $1700 budgeted for the three of us so it seems I am in the ballpark.

Holly--Hubby is also interested in golf. Have you already booked? Our son is 5 so I am not sure about his activity options but I think the clay shooting sounds fun!

I am getting really excited now! The itinerary sounds so great!

I got our ABD box today too!! I saw your post while waiting for DD to get her hair trimmed and she could wait to get home to see if our box had arrived. :cool1:
When my trip got changed from Spirit of America to Greece, I was told that since the backpacks had been re-designed, they no longer were offering a choice of items. It seems to be a bit uneven as to who got the backpacks & who still got their "choice". And I agree that the backpack is pretty useless, although a few folks on my trip *did* use them.

Sayhello

When my trip got changed from Spirit of America to Greece, I was told that since the backpacks had been re-designed, they no longer were offering a choice of items. It seems to be a bit uneven as to who got the backpacks & who still got their "choice". And I agree that the backpack is pretty useless, although a few folks on my trip *did* use them.

Sayhello

Thanks for the information, Sayhello. My TA emailed back and said basically the same thing. Disappointed and each backpack will be heading to the nearest Goodwill store. Made it very easy for me to splurge on a LeSportsac bag with the "It's a Small World" design. ;)

Holly--Hubby is also interested in golf. Have you already booked?

acndis.. Golf is already booked. Sunday, July 7th at 8am. He doesn't get to play often with his work schedule but could not pass up the opportunity to play in Ireland. Let him know (in euros) golf is 68, clubs are 30 and he could not pass up the chance to have a caddy with all the local stories he could bring to the table. The caddy is 40. Tell your hubby my DH said feel free to join him. Let me know and I'll pm you his full name.

Going on the Adults Only trip this Sept. I see no other DISers have signed up.

Re: backpacks- We still have ours from the first Taste of Tuscany trip years ago. My husband carries it to work. It is still in great shape. Super sturdy! So now they have different ones that are flimsy & basically useless? When I think of all the free advertising my husband has given ABD lugging that backpack (& wearing the free hat), it makes me wonder what value ABD is getting out of gifting a product that will end up in the trash bin.

Re: First Day gifts- The added touches are one of the reasons I went with ABD. Without them, they are one step closer to being like the other tour companies.

But I will save any further judgment on these issues until I return from Ireland. Can't wait!

Our box came yesterday! :cool1: Makes it seem real now! This is our first ABD so we didn't have backpacks yet. While it is not a backpack I would use regularly, I think the way it folds up makes it handy to toss in a suitcase in case I need an extra bag while away or traveling home.
We leave three weeks from today... going to London for a few days before Dublin. I am really getting excited!!

acndis.. Golf is already booked. Sunday, July 7th at 8am. He doesn't get to play often with his work schedule but could not pass up the opportunity to play in Ireland. Let him know (in euros) golf is 68, clubs are 30 and he could not pass up the chance to have a caddy with all the local stories he could bring to the table. The caddy is 40. Tell your hubby my DH said feel free to join him. Let me know and I'll pm you his full name.

Holly,

That sounds awesome. I will pass on the info to my husband. He hates to plan anything in advance (that's my job!) so I think he will want to wait until we get there. But, I did want to find out if you booked in advance so I could warn him that he may not get to do it if he waits. If he wants to book, I'll PM you but I imagine he'll touch base with your husband on the trip!

I am getting so excited. Like, I said, we just had an amazing cruise but getting the itinerary book reminded me of what an amazing trip this will be. I look forward to meeting all of you soon.

Our July 2 trip is coming up quick!

Does anyone know a final count for our adventure? Has anyone heard who our guides are?

We may do a walking tour or the Jameson Distillery on our pre-day. We are going to the National Museum before the Welcome Dinner the next day.

Any packing tips? Raincoats are a must and I am planning on pants/jeans for most days.

Any other last minute tips are most welcome!:yay:

We are on the July 2nd trip too! I can't believe how quickly it is coming. We leave two weeks from tomorrow.

I called to ask a question after receiving our booklet. I also asked about the number on our trip. It was at 36 total people, of which 9 are kids ages 5 through 16. I didn't think to ask about the guides.

We are on the July 2nd trip too! I can't believe how quickly it is coming. We leave two weeks from tomorrow.

I called to ask a question after receiving our booklet. I also asked about the number on our trip. It was at 36 total people, of which 9 are kids ages 5 through 16. I didn't think to ask about the guides.

I asked ABD before our trip this year who the guides would be and they wouldn't tell me. They said it could change so they don't like to give out that information. I suspect that they just didn't know. ;)

I got similar answers from my TA. She broke it down by age for a total of 10 kids.

5-year old: 1
6-year old: 1
10-year old: 1
12-year old: 1
13-year old: 2
14-year old: 2
15-year old: 1
16-year old: 1

We leave on Monday, just 5 more days!! :goodvibes
Staying 2 nights in New York, seeing the Lion King on Broadway and visiting the Times Square Disney Store which wasn't open when we previously visited in 2010. Then we're off to Germany and our "Once Upon a Fairytale" ABD. We'll get to Dublin on June 30th. My DD seems interested in the National Museum so we may be hitting that up on July 2nd as well. Our Dublin pre days we are playing by ear as it is DD's birthday on July 1st so I'm letting her set the pace.

Can't wait to meet you all. :grouphug:

At the airport now for our flight to New York. We'll head on to our Germany ABD on Thursday and then off to Dublin on the 30th for our pre-days!!

Have a wonderful time, JacksGirlz! See you in a few weeks. We can't wait to hear about Germany.

acndis:hourglass

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter