Insulin Pumps and Water Parks!

knieriem

DIS Veteran
So we've discussed insulin pumps and rides but what about the water parks?

I get my Animas Ping via UPS tomorrow and I get it up and running at the doctor on Thursday. I'm curious though as to how you all handle the pumps at the water parks.

I know the animas is water proof for like 24 hours up to 12 feet (or something like that) but I didn't know if anyone had trouble wearing it on the rides at the water parks.

Also do people stare at you when you're wearing your pump with a swim suit? My stomach will be covered because I wear tankinis but I'm sure it's more noticeable in a swimsuit than regular clothing.

Got my insulin pump in the mail!!! :yay:

Anyone have any response to my insulin pump question?!

My son can easily swim with his for about an hour without the adhesive coming loose, but he has an omnipod, so there's a bit of a difference. He has gotten a few stares, but I've always chalked it off to his age and complete willingness to show it off to anyone :lmao:

I work with high school aged students. During a trip to a (local) waterpark, one girl with Type I who used a pump disconnected while she was there. She had a whole plan worked out by her diabetes team...there was concern about the heat as well as about all the exercising. I don't know all the details of why they decided to go that route, as my role in the whole plan was simply to remind her to test more frequently! But maybe someone from your endocrinologists office can give you some input. And there are lots of people with Type I over on this board, so hopefully you'll get more advice.

I guess I would also be VERY careful with the speed slides...they can practically knock your teeth out of your mouth because they are SO jarring.

Good luck!
Mary

I would not wear your pump in the actual water. I know they all claim to be water proof but even my nurse educator recommends you take it off. Here is what we do. I test DD, give her a snack, bolus her for her snack plus half of what her basal would be for the three hours and she can be off her pump for 3 hours after that. After the three hours she needs to be reconnected, tested, and can have another snack and once she is rebolused she can be back off it for 3 hours. The 3 hours comes from the insulin having a 3 hour active life so she needs to have a bolus to " act" in her for 3 hours to be off it for that long. They told her only an hour at first but after she had been on it a few months they shared this tip. Also, make sure your site is covered by a bathing suit to keet it in. The force of the water pushing past it uncovered will peel it off. At my DDs diabetes camp the girls have to wear a 1 piece and the site has to be in the tummy to prevent it pulling out. The water softens the adhesive and if there isnt anything covering it the site will come off.
I do not care for water parks so we rarely go to them but we went last trip and I put her pump in a locker. When we just go to the pool I leave it in the room obviously. A CM told me to leave it in the first aid station at the water park which would work but the locker was closer.

Our team felt it was best for us to disconnect instead of wearing the pump. We leave it off for one hour, test and bolus for 50% of the basal that she didn't get over the past hour. Does that make sense? We have her take a snack and bolus and 50% for that as well. Works out fine. There is a tape by 3M that is waterproof and we cover her site (not the part where you connect) and it keeps everything on.

Do people look? Probably but we don't care. She needs it to live - bottom line. It's their issue - not ours.

My son can easily swim with his for about an hour without the adhesive coming loose, but he has an omnipod, so there's a bit of a difference. He has gotten a few stares, but I've always chalked it off to his age and complete willingness to show it off to anyone :lmao:

I hope your son likes the Omnipod; I use them, and think they are a great advance.

I hadn't noticed anyone staring, but one woman did comment on it when I was swimming at the AKL pool in May. As it turns out, she used to work for Insulet, the Omnipod manufacturer.

Glad I read this as my daughter, who has a pump, and I were talking about this yesterday. She is going to local waterslides soon and we were talking about the best way for her to handle bolusing etc. We won't leave it on.. Just makes me too nervous, that would be one expensive item to fall off in the pool. Also we do know from experience that the site stays on really well in water, can't say about on a waterslide though as this will be her first too.

Our team felt it was best for us to disconnect instead of wearing the pump. We leave it off for one hour, test and bolus for 50% of the basal that she didn't get over the past hour. Does that make sense? We have her take a snack and bolus and 50% for that as well. Works out fine. There is a tape by 3M that is waterproof and we cover her site (not the part where you connect) and it keeps everything on.

Do people look? Probably but we don't care. She needs it to live - bottom line. It's their issue - not ours.

This is essentially what we do for DH. He always disconnects for the water parks - not worth the chance that something could happen and then be in need of a new pump while on vacation!
You could also talk with your dr about the "un-hooked" pumping and taking some Lantus, but if you're just looking for a day, it wouldn't be worth it.

I've found more people look/discuss that have some sort of a connection - they have a pump, have a family member with a pump, are considering a pump. Most others don't give it a second thought.

Even though the pump says it's waterproof I would disconnect while you are the waterpark. Not only do you take the chance that the water might somehow damage it you take the chance that it could fall off and break. You probably won't need as much insulin at the waterpark anyway and could just check and bolus as needed. A good product that we use to keep my sons infusion set on is Skin Tac. You use it in place of the IV prep and it's super sticky. He wrestles and plays football and with the skin Tac his infusion set rarely falls off. Hope this helps.

I'm a disconnector, I'll go for about 1-2 hrs. go back to where our chairs are and check my blood sugar then reconnect and bolus accordingly. I'll repeat after staying connected for a while. No way would i trust wearing my pump in water. I've been doing this for the past 10 yrs. at the waterparks with no problems. As far as people staring..I've never noticed.

I wouldnt let me daughter wear the pump in the water just in case something happens. Ive been to many waterparks and just take it off because she is very active during the time. I check her hourly if i can and if she needs the correction i give it to her. Most of the time i like to keep her a bit high so i dont want her going low.

May I recommend a FRIO pump pack to put your pump in while you're not wearing it. It is a pouch cooled with water evaporation that will keep you insulin cool while you are at the waterpark.

:thumbsup2 We haven't been to any of the Disney water parks yet, but I always follow your described method whenever my son goes swimming. The other day he was so anxious to go swimming that he jumped into the pool ... With his pump still on! I heard his blood-curdling scream followed by "My pump! My pump!" All was well in the end, though. :)

My son has an omnipod and we use medical tape before he gets in the water, it really help keep it on in the water. Good luck!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter