Initial "Pearl Harbor" reviews less than glowing

Every network, cable or otherwise, has something going on this week about Pearl Harbor or WWII. Surely these are not coordinated with Disney, so it seems that the compitition wants to be sure it gets a share of the Pearl Harbor pie and that they think it will be a large pie.

For my part, some of the Disney movies I've liked best and that have grossed a lot have gotten bad reviews. Do the people who would be attracted to this kind of movie really stay away from a film because of its reviews?

You're right IMO Galahad. How many people actually listen to a critic before going to a movie? Like Sarangel, I seldom agree with the critics and although this isn't a movie type that I'd normally go to I may just go because of the buzz...

Last night on TV the local stations interviewed a lot Vetrans who saw the screening and were thrilled by the outcome. They did a post screening "on the spot" interview with 20-30 people in the lobby and not one said anything bad (in fact all were gushing), so I think AV's link to what happend with Titanic may be prophetic here.
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

Last night on TV the local stations interviewed a lot Vetrans who saw the screening and were thrilled by the outcome.
It wouldn't happen to have been an ABC affiliate, would it?

Just wondering.;)

I hadn't thought of that Landbaron, but no it was actually our very 'in your face' local Fox station...

:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

All of Southern California is in shock this morning. Sure, earthquakes, fires, floods, power black-outs – those are all just everyday occurrences around here. To get people to look up from their lattes, it’s got to be something truly amazing. Like a flat-out glowing, praise-filled review of ‘Pearl Harbor’ from The Los Angeles Times. Now the LA Times usually doesn’t say a whole lot negative about a film – they take in far too much money from Hollywood to offer real criticisms; but they seldom go all out for a film either. But when I read, “The film’s immense cast and crew…blend artistry and technology to create a blockbuster entertainment that has passion, valor and tremendous action”, I knew that a major realignment of the stars had taken place over Melrose Avenue.

Well, that’s not exactly true. My first thought was that I hadn’t heard that TWO movies titled ‘Pearl Harbor’ were coming out - the writer had obviously seen a different movie than I had. Then my second thought was to call a friend in Disney Accounts Payable to find out exactly how big the check was that Disney just mailed out. But those are just my cynical, negative, been-around-here-to-long sides of my personality peeking through. The LA Times article was by far the most favorable review of the movie that I’ve seen so far. If you’d like to read it for yourself, it’s at LA Times Link. The paper also has a great article about last week’s premier party in Hawaii and the media circus around it.

Someone commented on the impact of reviews. While reviews generally don’t affect the opening weekend much, they can help or hurt the film’s run after that. People who really want to see a movie tend to see it during the first two weeks of its run. After that, it’s a matter of reviews and word of mouth. The studios try to use the reviews as word of mouth recommendations – that’s why you see all of the quotes in ads (everybody trusts Rodger Ebert, don’t they?). Poorly reviewed films also tend to get moved to smaller theaters and pulled earlier in a self fulfilling prophecy kinda way.

It’s been known for a long time that ‘Peal Harbor’ was going to be an event movie. And since it’s an historical event, it makes it easy for others to cash in. Television is all about the ratings and if there’s a chance that people might become interested in a subject because of a film, someone will exploit it whether they work for Disney or not. Gee, The Discovery Channel is still running at least one show on the ‘Titanic’ every week. Personally, I think Americans are far, far too ignorant of history and the sciences and anything that can help spark an interest is worthwhile.

As for my personal prediction, I think ‘Pearl Harbor’ will do well enough to keep it out the ‘Cleopatra’ and ‘Heaven’s Gate’ realm of disasters, but nowhere near what Eisner was demanding from the film. Mostly because I think the word of mouth will be just okay - not good, not bad – just okay. The film will certainly attract the teenage male audience, but it takes a looooong time before stuff blows up. The love story is very weak, and I can’t judge whether Josh Harnett removes his shirt even to capture the teenage female audience (this group made ‘Titanic’ the huge hit). For us adults, people who go to see only a couple of films in the theater every year are probably going to skip this one and wait for it on home video. I’ll report back on Tuesday with the results from the weekend.

One last item – several IMAX theaters in Southern California are showing a special 35mm print of ‘Pearl Harbor’ that’s been reformatted for the larger screen. I hadn’t heard about this and I’ll try to check this out over the weekend.

If anyone cares, the Boston Globe gave it a mixed but overall good review (3 out of 4 stars) with the headline Rhapsody in Boom, Balance helps "Pearl" to shine.

Personally, I think I'll pass.

Being from Chicago I'm a little prejudice in favor of a local boy makes good, Roger Ebert. And besides, I really like this guy. He's on local radio a lot and I've gotten to know him and like him over the years. And I find myself agreeing with him more often than not. Anyway, here's the link.

Roger Ebert - Sun Times Review

Not too good, is it?

Another Voice, I edited your LA Times link, since the auto reader had parsed the link incorrectly - I hope you don't mind.

Back in the rumors and speculation department, I think it'll be very interesting to see how this whole little Pearl Harbor melodrama plays out. Last week we were seeing a lot of hype + some pretty ugly reviews, now we're seeing some fairly positive reviews (the SF Chronicle also loved it). I think it'll all come down to the public, which goes back to Uncle Walt's philosophy of giving the people what they want - something he did better than anyone else has since.

It might also be interesting to see if the film gives any momentum to the movement for a WWII memeorial. Something is wrong with us as a country if we can create memorials for Vietnam & Korea without acknowledging the men and women who removed the spectre of Hitler from history.

Sarangel

Richmond Times Dispatch- ** out of ***
-Too much love story
-Poorly heald together
-Exclent action sceans

RTD is usually VERY hard on movies.
I will have a report tomorrow night on the movie (kids at school were talking about it constantly, never saw anything like this before!)

Also, about 30 min is acutally about Pearl Harbor, the rest is a soapy love story.

Remeber that another big movie got bad press to, but it didn't "SINK" (try to guess which movie it is...)

Well after sitting through 3 + hours of this "film" I can see why the critics panned it .The action sequences are good but suffer for TMD too much digital. As for the love triangle, a Valerie Bertinelli TV movie is better. Unlike Titantic these are completely forgettable characters, one sided and just thrown in to break up the bombing scenes. I spent $6.50 on this stinker, I should have gone to Blockbuster and rented Tora Tora Tora instead.
I feel this one will fade quickly and will not have the repeat viewing (some people went back 4 times) power of Titanic. Do yourself a favor and miss this one.

I saw "Pearl Harbor", today and thought it wa very good. The theater was very busy, with the showing I wanted to go to being sold out.

k.i.s.s.
BP

Thanks for the help Sarangel, I got rushed and forgot to check the link myself.

The early reviews for a film are always on the extreme, usually because they’re written by those with the strongest opinions or those that simply like to see themselves in print. The reviews from larger newspaper tend to be more middle of the road as the papers usually hire more experienced writers with more moderate opinions who understand that people’s taste in movies vary widely. There’s also a fair amount of group-thinking that happens as well, and that also tends to pull reviews to the center. That’s why I was so amazed by the LA Times review this morning. They are really flying in the face of conventional wisdom. Once all of the reviews are posted I’m going to do some research to see how well ‘Pearl Harbor’ was reviewed compared to ‘Titanic’. The two-page ad in for the movie in the Times this morning lacked any quotes from critics at all. That’s very unusual.

One other thing that I’ve found really interesting is that I haven’t heard Faith Hill’s song from ‘PH’ on the radio or on VH1 yet. This was supposed to be a major part of their marketing campaign (EVERYTHING about ‘PH’ is modeled on the ‘Titanic’ business plan). I know they spent a lot of money to shoot the music video. As a side note, I’ve decided to name a new genre of music – the “You’re dead, but that’s okay because I still love you” ballad.

Team Disney is a very, very nervous place today. Today’s rumor is that live action films may be facing the same kind of cuts that have basically shut down Feature Animation. They’ve been counting on this movie to make a year’s worth of revenue for the studio and that’s now very much in peril. In order for a film to be a giant hit (which ‘PH’ needs to be just to break even), you either have to repeat viewings or to pull in the “two movies a year crowd”. Early indications are the Disney won’t be getting either; we’ll know for sure in three weeks.

I saw Pearl Harbor tonight, and I thought it was a very good movie, especially the special effects. I'm not sure why a lot of the critics made bad reviews of it, but that is there opinion, and this is mine.

I haven't seen it (yet) but since no one else has posted the numbers. From the entertainment news section of an internet site - $76.1 million for the weekend. Not number 1 but number 2 and much bigger than numbers 3 and 4.

So let's see how this weekend goes to gauge staying power.

Saw the movie on Monday. I was not impressed.

Went with fiance and a whole group of his history students (mostly fourteen year old girls). Before the movie, they were all more interested in Ben Affleck. After the movie, they ALL wanted him to drown on the Arizona.

In my opinion, the first hour and a half could have been eliminated from the whole movie. The love story was not needed. Look at "Saving Private Ryan." Was there a love story in that film? No. Did it still make money? Yes, not to mention all the awards and praise it received. Therefore, a love story is not always needed to make an historical film more appealing to certain members of our society. And did anyone else feel that the girl (Kate Beckinsale's part) was a little bit of a tramp, going back and forth between men? It didn't even feel like she was going through any momentous decisions. ("Oh, Ben died, let me fool around with his friend." "Oh, Ben's alive, let me go back to him.") I just thought that was horrendous and not teaching our kids the right way to behave (if there really IS one in that kind of situation).

I'm glad I only paid the matinee fee, but I wish I had waited til "Pearl Harbor" was the movie of the week on NBC.

I realize the love story was more calculated then anything else, but I think it had historical relevence. In Saving Private Ryan. The soldiers knew the horrors of war. There was no time for love affairs (there weren't many women at D-day anyway.)

Before Pearl, War was a far off prospect. The Boys in the military's highest priority was hooking up with the nurses. So, it was accurate in that sense.

Of course that doesn't justify the time spent, nor the quality.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter