Information from DCL or lack of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just another reason it's beyond ludicrous that there is still nothing but *crickets* from DCL.
I disagree. They canceled the test cruise days before it was supposed to go due to an unexpected issue. To use your terms, it's beyond ludicrous to expect to know what is happening in your example in August when they can't predict what is happening a few days in advance. The booklet I just got from Viking and the e-mails I have been getting from Celebrity and HAL are for 2023 cruises. THAT may be more realistic.
And this week our County Office of Education sent a request to the State of California asking to be allowed to bring back covid restrictions when in person instruction begins in September because of the Delta variant is hitting kids hard and kids won't be vaccinated. Kids a a huge chunk of Disney's passenger list, if the schools are bracing for the worst in September, how can Disney reasonably say anything about cruises before then?

Last edited:

To go back to the original question - I prefer information. I think most people waiting to sail fully understand that every rule, every protocol, every requirement is extremely fluid right now and plan accordingly. If I have thousands of dollars tied up in an uncertain vacation, you better believe I want communication. Give me all the info and let me decide for myself how to move forward. Complete silence would make me more uneasy and less trusting than information that is subject to change.

For example, 6 months out DCL mentions that it will require 95% of its passengers to be vaxed. I am OK with that and still want to sail, so I go and make sure I meet that requirement. A month before we sail, DCL no longer has the requirement. That's fine - at least I was ready. I knew that requirement could change at any time, because that was communicated to me. Instead, they are still selling cruises a month out with radio silence on what the vaxxed requirement is. Kind of a big deal! If they suddenly spring "oh right hey you all need vaccinations to sail, sorry we only gave you a month to do so!" it's irresponsible and guests would have every right to be furious.

IMO, communication > no communication.

Agree that communication is ideal, as long as they caveat that things are obviously subject to change given the current climate but think it’s only fair to give people as much notice as possible to make other plans and hopefully not lose money through additional travel and hotel costs.

DCL’s just contacted people on the first two UK staycation cruises (15th and 18th July) to say they’re overbooked and offering them a discount if they change their sailing, so my hopes are not high for timely communication atm 😂

Agree that communication is ideal, as long as they caveat that things are obviously subject to change given the current climate but think it’s only fair to give people as much notice as possible to make other plans and hopefully not lose money through additional travel and hotel costs.

DCL’s just contacted people on the first two UK staycation cruises (15th and 18th July) to say they’re overbooked and offering them a discount if they change their sailing, so my hopes are not high for timely communication atm 😂
Oh noooooo......... :badpc:

They're offering them 50% discount off of a future cruise, be it a UK or US one, very nice apology imo. MSC just had the same issue (it's due to the restrictions here being expected to be lifted on 21st June, but being extended by 4 weeks), and they just cancelled people, many not finding out until very close to their departure date.

Restrictions are expected to be lifted on 19th July, so should only affect those first sailings.

They're offering them 50% discount off of a future cruise, be it a UK or US one, very nice apology imo. MSC just had the same issue (it's due to the restrictions here being expected to be lifted on 21st June, but being extended by 4 weeks), and they just cancelled people, many not finding out until very close to their departure date.

Restrictions are expected to be lifted on 19th July, so should only affect those first sailings.
I’m in the UK to clarify, pointing it out as they’ve known about the lifting of restrictions being postponed for almost two weeks and those emails only went out today. Don’t deny it’s a good offer (although it’s only for 2-4 night sailings which rules out any of the non-staycation Europe sailings).

Why don't you guys just cancel and book another cruiseline?

But I don't want to go on another cruise line! :rotfl2:

Seriously though, I do have a back up plan to spend more time in WDW and visit with my DS who lives there, but there is planning involved in that. If I wait to long I could end up missing out.

And I do know, this is my own doing, I booked this cruise on a whim a couple months ago, just hoping it would go. And I have been pretty good about accepting the fact we don't know anything, better than I would expect myself to be. ;) This week however, it's starting to get a little too close for comfort.

For example, 6 months out DCL mentions that it will require 95% of its passengers to be vaxed. I am OK with that and still want to sail, so I go and make sure I meet that requirement. A month before we sail, DCL no longer has the requirement. That's fine - at least I was ready. I knew that requirement could change at any time, because that was communicated to me.
But to play devil's advocate... while you may be ok with that change in the scenario you presented, not everyone would feel it was a good change. I am certain there are some who would say "but you told us it would be 100% vaxxed, and I bought airfare and pre-cruise hotel based on that. I don't want to go on a cruise with unvaxxed, so DCL owes me." As soon as DCL commits in one direction or the other, even if they caveat with "these rules may change," there will be bad press for changing things. From DCL's standpoint, communication is a no-win situation -- communicate too much too soon then make changes, people get mad; communicate too little or too late, people get mad.

That said -- they do need to step up and declare a decision at least for the early/mid-August cruises. Taking those right to 30-40 days out isn't right or good business.

That said -- they do need to step up and declare a decision at least for the early/mid-August cruises. Taking those right to 30-40 days out isn't right or good business.
At this point I am just going on the assumption that all cruises in August and September are in fact cancelled.

In the 0.1% chance that I am wrong, I HAVE to also believe that once they announce sailings and protocols, they (like all the other lines) will give people an "out" if they don't like the protocols announced. Either offer refunds, or more flexibility on pushing out again, etc.

Honestly, they are probably waiting on the CDC guidance that has to be revised from the court order. If it is unacceptable or they decide not to do a revision, then the CSO and all of its regulations are gone. At that point, the Disney spin machine would market what their safety precautions are and what is necessary from the other ports of call. I think the odds of August sailing aren't horrible.

Honestly, they are probably waiting on the CDC guidance that has to be revised from the court order. If it is unacceptable or they decide not to do a revision, then the CSO and all of its regulations are gone. At that point, the Disney spin machine would market what their safety precautions are and what is necessary from the other ports of call. I think the odds of August sailing aren't horrible.
Still too many moving political pieces preventing a clean & clear spin by Disney. The CDC has until today to reply on the preliminary injunction, but the CSO is in place until July 18th. A lot could happen between now and July 18th. According to the CDC's lawyers, they have until then to seek a narrower injunction, appellate review or other relief 'as well as any other options that may be available.'

Disney couldn't really do anything until July 18th because they won't want to change their minds again if things change with the lawsuit. Which means you are either giving people less than 30 days notice, or cancelling at least until Aug 18th.

But to play devil's advocate... while you may be ok with that change in the scenario you presented, not everyone would feel it was a good change. I am certain there are some who would say "but you told us it would be 100% vaxxed, and I bought airfare and pre-cruise hotel based on that. I don't want to go on a cruise with unvaxxed, so DCL owes me." As soon as DCL commits in one direction or the other, even if they caveat with "these rules may change," there will be bad press for changing things. From DCL's standpoint, communication is a no-win situation -- communicate too much too soon then make changes, people get mad; communicate too little or too late, people get mad.

Agreed - good point! Just personally, I would prefer communication (even knowing it could change) over radio silence. :goodvibes

I understand the wait and see approach, and why they’re doing it this way. However, I would then at least expect an amendment to the cancellation policy, offering full refunds to those who don’t want to wait and see, this close to sailing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter