Incredibles 2

No, I'm not.

Please tell me why you would hope that I am .

A movie is not going to continue its record breaking success week after week. You also had new competition with Jurassic World.

The profanity claim is ridiculous as well. That’s not even close to an issue.

Considering it made $100 million Monday through Thursday, I would say the PP crash and burn claim is completely overblown. For a movie opening this big, dropping $100 million in the second weekend is the norm not the exception.

True...but it was a steeper drop than most in the industry were expecting. Animated films tend to have greater % holds than standard blockbusters.

True...but it was a steeper drop than most in the industry were expecting. Animated films tend to have greater % holds than standard blockbusters.

Incredibles 2 is in uncharted territory for an animated film. It opened $50 million bigger than the previous biggest opening. Smaller opening unexpected hit animated films hold better than the bigger ones. Word of mouth helps hold the second weekend. When the film makes $280 million in the first week, there is not going to be the big word of mouth since everyone already saw it.

Incredibles 2 is in uncharted territory for an animated film. It opened $50 million bigger than the previous biggest opening. Smaller opening unexpected hit animated films hold better than the bigger ones. Word of mouth helps hold the second weekend. When the film makes $280 million in the first week, there is not going to be the big word of mouth since everyone already saw it.

And to add to that I see a lot of opinions of the film similar to mine in that it was a really good/fun film but not something I need to see more than once in the theater - so you had sooooo many people see it the first weekend who were waiting for t and now that they have many don’t feel the need to see it again so I am not surprise to see a fairly steep drop

To that poster who raised the point about the inappropriate language - I am sure that isn’t helping (it wasn’t in the “plus” Callie. For me and dis feel unnecessary) but no way that is the main part of a $100m drop

I have to think that the opening weekend was out-of-the-norm high due to Jurassic World's release the following week, so it probably caused many to make it a point to go see I2 on the first weekend. And following that same logic, it also contributes to the side-effect of the sharper drop on the following week.

And to add to that I see a lot of opinions of the film similar to mine in that it was a really good/fun film but not something I need to see more than once in the theater - so you had sooooo many people see it the first weekend who were waiting for t and now that they have many don’t feel the need to see it again so I am not surprise to see a fairly steep drop.

This!!

And it has to be harder and harder to get people to see a movie more than once in the theatre when we all know it will be available for home viewing in 3-4 months.

I2 was a known commodity. If you were interested in it before it came out, you've probably seen it by now. And if you weren't interested before, there really has been nothing to change your mind. Whereas a film like Coco probably benefitted from reviews and word of mouth about heart, story, emotion that drew in people down the road who don't usually go to "cartoons."

I2 was enjoyable but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't already a Pixar/animation/ superhero movies fan. Whereas I will recommend Coco to everyone.

This!!

And it has to be harder and harder to get people to see a movie more than once in the theatre when we all know it will be available for home viewing in 3-4 months.

I2 was a known commodity. If you were interested in it before it came out, you've probably seen it by now. And if you weren't interested before, there really has been nothing to change your mind. Whereas a film like Coco probably benefitted from reviews and word of mouth about heart, story, emotion that drew in people down the road who don't usually go to "cartoons."

I2 was enjoyable but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't already a Pixar/animation/ superhero movies fan. Whereas I will recommend Coco to everyone.

Agreed, and to add to that, I think it's just a lot harder to get people to the movies in general. Things like moviepass help but they don't have a family plan. Movies really do need to be exceptional or very hyped these days to get people to spend all that money.

I have to think that the opening weekend was out-of-the-norm high due to Jurassic World's release the following week, so it probably caused many to make it a point to go see I2 on the first weekend. And following that same logic, it also contributes to the side-effect of the sharper drop on the following week.

Even with the large drop, it still had the largest second weekend for any animated film. And if not for Jurassic World it likely would have been higher, since they have a bit of an overlap in filmgoers.

Well... took the family to see it today. Not really my choice, but my wife and kids were gung ho. My wife and I, our three kids, twin 6 year old boys and an 8 year old daughter, and my wife's 14 year old male nephew. I think we all enjoyed it to various degrees, but we also all, and I mean all of us, got very restless and almost bored in the middle. Something happened to the pacing that just didn't work very well for us. I also found it very transparent. Even my 8 year old daughter named the villain within 30 seconds of the character's first appearance.

It's fine to pass the time, but I won't really recommend people see it in theaters. At home would be fine. There were some very cute moments, some good points made by the characters, some moments where it kind of bludgeoned you over the head. A mixed bag for us. Not quite sure why it is doing so well, but I'm not disappointed I spent the money on it either.

Even with the large drop, it still had the largest second weekend for any animated film. And if not for Jurassic World it likely would have been higher, since they have a bit of an overlap in filmgoers.

I agree. It had a huge opening that broke records so it was going to have a big drop after. Jurassic World 2 was a big draw as well as those films appeal to all ages and kids, especially boys, love dinosaurs so while it was a darker PG-13 movie it is still pulling audience from Incredibles 2 as both gear towards kids as well as nostalgia of older audiences.
And as stated it still had a large second weekend and the biggest second weekend for an animated movie so it is far from hurting. It's almost made $500m after two weekends and is already Pixars #4 biggest film with plenty of time left to improve upon that as it's still a fairly new release, so will end up in their top 3 at least.

Well... took the family to see it today. Not really my choice, but my wife and kids were gung ho. My wife and I, our three kids, twin 6 year old boys and an 8 year old daughter, and my wife's 14 year old male nephew. I think we all enjoyed it to various degrees, but we also all, and I mean all of us, got very restless and almost bored in the middle. Something happened to the pacing that just didn't work very well for us. I also found it very transparent. Even my 8 year old daughter named the villain within 30 seconds of the character's first appearance.

It's fine to pass the time, but I won't really recommend people see it in theaters. At home would be fine. There were some very cute moments, some good points made by the characters, some moments where it kind of bludgeoned you over the head. A mixed bag for us. Not quite sure why it is doing so well, but I'm not disappointed I spent the money on it either.

I feel very similar - it hi knit did well due to the 14 year gap and people just really being excited for *any* Incredibles movie - sort of the opposite of how some people are feeling there have been too many Star Wars movies recently

GREAT movie! The first one is probably my favorite Pixar film, and this one is immediately one of my top 5. I just love the tone and theming of these films - and EDNA is AWESOME. :)

I went with my family, including a 17, 14 and 4 year old - and we all enjoyed it - so that tells you enough.

Jack-Jack vs. raccoon is the highlight of the movie, IMO.

...and "Bao" was just *meh.* A strange, weak short.

DD14 and I both cried at Bao. It's so hard to find the right way to let go, and accept life's changes...

Speaking of which, why would they change math? I know it was in the trailers, but it just cracks me up every time.

And I was probably one of the few in the audience (sold out theater in NYC, this morning) who actually watched Johnny Quest its first time out on my grandmother's color tv. It's the little touches that really make the Incredibles world a fun place to be.

The Underminer lives...

We took our 3 and 5 year old to see it yesterday. That was no easy task - we tried to go to a 2pm showing and discovered not only were they sold out, but the next two showings were also sold out! We had to check four theaters and ended up not finding one that had availability four a family of 4 to sit together (reserved seating theaters are popular around here) until a few hours later in the day. So those saying it’s “crashing” in the second weekend, that was certainly not our experience!

None of us liked the short. The kids ranged from confused to mildly disturbed by it. Husband thought it was just weird. I hate the theme of guilt tripping kids for growing up and getting their own life.

We all really liked the movie, though! This was the first film in theater that held both kids’ interest the whole way through. Usually they either get bored or one of the action/villain scenes is intense enough that they need a break in the lobby. Not this time! Yeah, the villain was a bit obvious, but that really doesn’t bother me in an animated film. Jack Jack totally stole the show for our kids - definitely their favorite. And I enjoyed Bob’s character arc. Overall, they woke up this morning asking to go back to the theater, so clearly it was a hit for our family!

We saw it Sunday morning. The "reserved seat" theaters in my area were mostly sold out for the morning shows (except for a few single seats and the uncomfortable front 2 rows). We went to a different theater with non-reserved seating and it was only about 25% full.

My 8yo liked it. My 4yo thought it was too scary. I enjoyed it. It lived up to the original, but it's not going to rocket to the top of my favorite movies list.

This!!

Right .. I mean Disney markets pre-buying the DVD the same weekend it opens in theatres. We all know we can buy/rent the movie (for a fraction of the cost of taking the family to the theater) probably by September.

I think this pretty much sums up how I feel, too. I'm really surprised to see articles saying it's on track to be the biggest animated movie of all time. Really?

Husband I went to see it yesterday and I caught myself looking at my watch a couple of times. It was...fine. We both came out of it shrugging and just said, "meh." I agree with others that the villain was super obvious and the plot was really similar to the first one. (speaking of the villain...ironic that it was the Screen Slaver and the woman on the other size of my husband would not stop texting on her Apple Watch for the entire movie. I guess she didn't see the irony herself...). I sort of expected more with the 14-year gap, I guess? But then again, it is a superhero movie so i'm not sure how different it really could have turned out?

The best Pixar movies, to me, are just a little more poignant and stick with me a little more, I guess. Again, maybe I'm expecting too much from a superhero movie. I almost forgot I even saw this one, and it was only yesterday!

Bao was weird. Really didn't like it much at all. :confused3

None of us liked the short. The kids ranged from confused to mildly disturbed by it. Husband thought it was just weird. I hate the theme of guilt tripping kids for growing up and getting their own life.
^^^ This. Also, didn’t care for the oddness of the metaphor, son/personified food...huh???

As for the strobe effects, there was no sign outside the theater, but a good 30 second or so full screen warning right before the movie began.

Personally, I thought it was fun. The messages go deeper when you apply them, even if some plot points were obvious (I actually appreciate that. As a kid, I didn’t see through things as easily as I do now, so if I were still a kid, think I’d feel more invested by “getting it” before the main characters).

I did get a kick out of the general nostalgia feel of the movie, and the Spaceship Earth elements, and several hidden Mickeys! I don’t need it to be the blockbuster of the century to say I quite enjoyed it, probably more than I thought I would. The kids (8,10,12) loved it too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter