In the Kitchen with Donald

This is hubby's absolute favourite meal (ok, I have a chicken & rice recipe that he calls "Food of the Gods" but i can't even touch poultry without breaking out anymore) and he would seriously eat it everyday if i let him! This is such a quick meal to make, I keep packages of the correct amount of grated cheese in the freezer ready to pull out and if i don't have any ready it will take longer to grate the cheese than it takes to cook! You can toss in some cooked bacon, ham, peas, hamburger, whatever you want.

5-Ingredient Instant Pot Mac and Cheese (6 if you count the salt :P )

Ingredients

• 1 pound elbow macaroni - 452 g
  • 4 cups of COLD water - 1 L (kick it up a notch by using chicken broth or ½ water & ½ broth)
  • Salt - to taste
  • One 12-ounce can evaporated milk
  • 3 tablespoons butter - 45 g
  • 3 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese - 340 g
Steps
  1. Combine the macaroni, liquid and salt in an Instant Pot® . Close the lid and be sure to set the valve to Sealing. Set to pressure cook on high for 5 minutes.
  2. After the pressure cook cycle is complete follow the manufacturer's guide for quick release and wait until the quick release cycle is complete. This could be messy! Cover the release valve with a wet cloth if needed.
  3. Stir in the evaporated milk, butter and 1/4 cup water. Then add the Cheddar, a little at time, while constantly stirring, until the cheese is completely melted.
  4. If it's a bit runny turn the pot to Saute and stir while it thickens. It will also thicken as it cools so take the inner pot out before serving.

Now if I only had an instapot. Might have to get one delivered. That recipe sounds so good. Can the recipe be used on the stove top (just takes longer) or does it really need the instapot?

Now if I only had an instapot. Might have to get one delivered. That recipe sounds so good. Can the recipe be used on the stove top (just takes longer) or does it really need the instapot?
You could not take my Instant Pot away from me without a fight. Don't know how I got along with out it. I can take a frozen chicken (which I stuff with a cut lemon and some thyme before freezing) put said chicken in the instant pot and have dinner on the table in less than one hour. Ribs? The best I have ever had, fall off the bone. That's just a few of my many favorite ways to use it. It's a whole thing with me.

You could not take my Instant Pot away from me without a fight. Don't know how I got along with out it. I can take a frozen chicken (which I stuff with a cut lemon and some thyme before freezing) put said chicken in the instant pot and have dinner on the table in less than one hour. Ribs? The best I have ever had, fall off the bone. That's just a few of my many favorite ways to use it. It's a whole thing with me.

Hmmmm I have been on the fence about an Instant Pot simply because I own a Crockpot and I use it for certain specific recipes but not that often.

Does any one know if the difference between an Instant Pot and an a Crockpot slowcooker is just the time to cook?

Does any one here own both and find they prefer the Instant Pot?

We have two InstantPot (device invented by an engineer from Ottawa btw) and a Crockpot. While the InstantPot has a slow cooker option to replace the crockpot, it's not as good. The InstantPot excels as pressure cooker. We first bought the 6qt and then bought the 3 qt for sides. We use the 3qt every day. DH uses it for breakfast (steel cut oatmeal) and I love it for basmati rice and veggies. I need to experiment more with main dishes.

Hmmmm I have been on the fence about an Instant Pot simply because I own a Crockpot and I use it for certain specific recipes but not that often.

Does any one know if the difference between an Instant Pot and an a Crockpot slowcooker is just the time to cook?

The game changer difference for me is that unlike my old crockpot, the instant pot has a sauté function. So if you need to brown beef, soften onions, or toast spices for a dish, you can just do it in the instant pot instead of dirtying another dish.

Well tonight is day 1 of my 5 nights on. No idea how long that will last but for now I am still working. Last night I took the BBQ out. An event to say the least. Our BBQ fell apart and we tossed it back in the fall. The hindsight didn't pan out for me. When I was unpacking it I wanted to put it back in the box and bring it back to Lowe's and get a better one. I said this for years but it lasted a good 6 years, probably because we kept it in the garage but I couldn't keep piecing it back together everytime it collapsed.
At any rate I took the portable we bought when we still had the RV and sure enough the hose to hook up the regular tank didn't work. Off to Canadian Tire for a pack of portable tanks because at least those were in stock. I'd good for 5 nights of lunches and last night's supper. I officially smoked out the neighbors. All of them.
By the way anyone ever use the Keg pre made burgers. We bought those for the first time and they are delicious but 30 % fat content. LOL I suggest the bbq on very low and lots of bbq sauce. If you are going to smoke out your neighbors at least make them jealous :)

The biggest advantage to this recipe vs using the stove top -- no draining of the pasta needed! I don't know if it would work on the stove, perhaps. I know i tried one of this type and the pasta wouldn't cook properly, i kept needing to add liquid and it ended up being a messy gloop.

My hubby tells me I have an unhealty relationship with my IP but he doesn't mind the food that comes out of it! How about pot roast in under 2 hours from FROZEN rock?!?!
I have 3, yes THREE crockpots that haven't seen the light of day since i got my IP. I ended up getting an extra inner pot so i can make one thing, pull it out and drop the other one into the base and just keep cooking!!
We have two InstantPot (device invented by an engineer from Ottawa btw) and a Crockpot. While the InstantPot has a slow cooker option to replace the crockpot, it's not as good. The InstantPot excels as pressure cooker. We first bought the 6qt and then bought the 3 qt for sides. We use the 3qt every day. DH uses it for breakfast (steel cut oatmeal) and I love it for basmati rice and veggies. I need to experiment more with main dishes.
I take great pride in knowing that it's a CDN invention and love it even more because of that :P I love making risotto and polenta in it because I'm not longer standing over the stove stirring forever (and in the case of the polenta, dodging hot as lava bubbles!)
The game changer difference for me is that unlike my old crockpot, the instant pot has a sauté function. So if you need to brown beef, soften onions, or toast spices for a dish, you can just do it in the instant pot instead of dirtying another dish.
YES! I love that it can be true one-pot cooking. When i would make a pot roast in the crockpot i would still have a frying pan to clean from brown the beef first and never managed to get all the tasty bits off. Once the meal is done, i pull the meat & veggies out and then turn saute on again to make gravy!
Also can't decide at 3 i want to use the frozen hunk of whatever for dinner and use anything other than my trusty IP.

I would finish whatever we'd have for supper and plunk in the 2nd inner pot, change the seal to my dessert one, pour in my milk, hit the yogurt button and once we were done eating it would have reached the boiling point so i could add starter and then set it to run overnight. GAWD i miss those days, months yet till i'm going to be able to eat anything so good!!!

I'm gonna share a tool i found a few months ago that is awesome IMHO! Any other pinterest users out there that despise the increased number of videos that people feel they need to include in their recipes and the stuttering that creates and far too much chatter? I was almost at the point where i had given up on my digital recipes until i stumbled across CopyMeThat. IT is AWESOMESAUCE! There's a web version, a Chrome extension and an app that all work together. Here's what it lets you do:
From ANY webpage that has a recipe on it, click on the extension and you'll end up with ONLY the recipe. You can then edit it to add your own comments, any tweaks you've done, remove or ingredients/steps.
Once you've done that it will be in your recipe box and you can pull it up from a computer/tablet or your phone thru the app. You can even use it to generate a shopping list, I LOVE IT!!
While i tend to keep my profile & info on these sites private, there is also a feature to share/follow others.

COPY ME THAT INFO

For my grocery list (and other lists) and recipes, I use the AnyList app. It's awesome and well worth the 15$/year cost imo (I'm super cheap for subscription so it takes a lot for me to pay for an app). We can simply add online recipes to the app with a Google Chrome extension and the lists can be shared on multiple devices. Soon we want to try the meal plan tool included with the app.

Tonight we had my go-to recipe, crêpes. I love my mom's recipe because it can be used as a savoury crêpe with ham and cheese for exemple or as a sweet dessert. We never eat crêpes for breakfast, only for dinner and dessert in my house.

Crêpes:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
2 tbsp melted butter
2 eggs
a couple of pinches of salt

Make a nest with the flour and salt then add the milk, eggs and melted butter in the middle. Break the egg yolks with whisk and mix all the ingredients until no lump is left (few small lumps are not a big deal).

The trick with crepes is to have a hot flat skillet. Once it’s hot, reduce heat to medium-low to make your crepes. Using a brush, add some butter on bottom of skillet and add your crepe mix (I use a full soup laddle). You ‘swirl’ the skillet so that the mix covers the bottom and it’s not too thick and you let cook. If will be ready to flip when it’s gets off the skillet easily.

After flipping you can add some fillings such as cheese, ham, asparagus (a classic) or any ingredient you like then flip in half to ‘close’ you crepe. Another classic way is to cook it on both sides (light brown) and then add brown sugar, roll and a some maple syrup on top. Finally, a very French way to eat it is just lemon juice and sugar. You can also make dessert crepes by adding some ice cream, nutella or jam.

* One of my best friend is from Brittany and she once told me the traditional way to eat theirs is with lemon juice and sugar. It's now my favourite way to eat a crêpe and tonight I tried lime juice with sugar. It was yummy!

** We now sub the butter for vegan margarine and the milk for unsweetened cashew or coconut milk because I cannot eat any dairy.

Ok trying to add a family fav, and award winner. This recipe has been in our family for over 75years, baked in old farm house, so simple recipe. My daughters now make this themselves for their birthday. It turns out almost as a brownie. Thick dense cake, not an angle food cake.
enjoy.
ps this was published also in a limited edition cookbook. So proud of grandma. quick story at bottom about my parents.

Attachments

• choc cake.pdf
    990.2 KB · Views: 15
I'm gonna share a tool i found a few months ago that is awesome IMHO! Any other pinterest users out there that despise the increased number of videos that people feel they need to include in their recipes and the stuttering that creates and far too much chatter? I was almost at the point where i had given up on my digital recipes until i stumbled across CopyMeThat. IT is AWESOMESAUCE! There's a web version, a Chrome extension and an app that all work together. Here's what it lets you do:
From ANY webpage that has a recipe on it, click on the extension and you'll end up with ONLY the recipe. You can then edit it to add your own comments, any tweaks you've done, remove or ingredients/steps.
Once you've done that it will be in your recipe box and you can pull it up from a computer/tablet or your phone thru the app. You can even use it to generate a shopping list, I LOVE IT!!
While i tend to keep my profile & info on these sites private, there is also a feature to share/follow others.

COPY ME THAT INFO
Wow! You need to ask my DH and kids how often I complain about an online recipe and how many videos or ads I have to scroll through to get to it. I‘m going to take a look at it now !

I want to try making bread but DH couldn't find bread flour (no flour of any kind left in the store). I don't want to go to another store until we need more grocery so can I use unbleached white all-purpose flour instead? I also have cake and pastry flour.

I want to try making bread but DH couldn't find bread flour (no flour of any kind left in the store). I don't want to go to another store until we need more grocery so can I use unbleached white all-purpose flour instead? I also have cake and pastry flour.
YES, I've never used anything other than all purpose flour! I'm going to be posting another very easy recipe soonish. You need to have a mixer or a very strong arm to mix it, no kneading required. More like a quick bread that you just scoop into the pan.

YES, I've never used anything other than all purpose flour! I'm going to be posting another very easy recipe soonish. You need to have a mixer or a very strong arm to mix it, no kneading required. More like a quick bread that you just scoop into the pan.

I have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer with a hook but it's the most basic/cheapest model they have, not the Artisan or Pro.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter