I'm With you, Pete! WDW, Please Fix The Monorails!!

I wouldn't stay at the Grand Flo right now for love or money. Wilderness Lodge or Contemporary are fine because you have other options, but there's no way I get stuck at GF paying those rates and having to ride a bus to a park I can see sitting right there just because they can't get the monorails to work worth a dang.

The GF does offer boat transport to the MK as well.

I'd be curious to see how many people would opt for another deluxe if the monorail did get into worse shape, even with ferries still running to the MK.

I opt for the Epcot resorts because of my dislike of the monorails. I enjoy the GF and did used to stay there before the Epcot resorts were built but just can't seem to push the button to stay there if I'm forced to take the monorail to Epcot. I have no problems taking the boat to MK but the monorail to Epcot is a deal breaker for me.

My guess is right now Disney can't get the cost and ROI to line up. In reality the monorails are past the maintenance phase and well into the replacement phase which moves the cost involved from maintenance and upkeep to capital expense. The monorails will have to be replaced en mass at some point and, sadly, I can see that some point being after a tragedy like a part falling off and killing someone.

I also have a suspicion they are waiting to see exactly how the gondola system works in production and we may see the monorail either completely or partially replaced by that system if it turns out to be feasible. I personally don't like that scenario but I can see it happening.

My guess is right now Disney can't get the cost and ROI to line up. In reality the monorails are past the maintenance phase and well into the replacement phase which moves the cost involved from maintenance and upkeep to capital expense. The monorails will have to be replaced en mass at some point and, sadly, I can see that some point being after a tragedy like a part falling off and killing someone.

I also have a suspicion they are waiting to see exactly how the gondola system works in production and we may see the monorail either completely or partially replaced by that system if it turns out to be feasible. I personally don't like that scenario but I can see it happening.
Well the gondolas wouldn't work that well for the resort line. Gondolas work best going in straight lines not in a circle/oval. I also don't know if the capacity would be high enough for the MK area.

In reality the monorails are past the maintenance phase and well into the replacement phase
Exactly. Air fresheners and new carpet are not going to fix this problem. These trains are worn out. They need to be replaced. Hopefully, behind the scenes, Disney has a plan in place to do that.

I wonder how many people would stay at a monorail resort with the monorails out of service. Wether it be for maintenance or because they are broken.

I bet Disney doesn't want the headache of angry guests if they were pulled from service for major repairs. Look how minor repairs throws things out of whack.

Looks like I'll be taking the ferry boat from the ticket centre from now on! Last thing I want is the be in a monorail that loses the track!

I wouldn't stay at the Grand Flo right now for love or money. Wilderness Lodge or Contemporary are fine because you have other options, but there's no way I get stuck at GF paying those rates and having to ride a bus to a park I can see sitting right there just because they can't get the monorails to work worth a dang.

Well, you could double back and walk the beach down in the other direction to the poly dock, but I get what you're saying. It isn't worth heading in the opposite direction or worse, catching a bus to get to a park a stone's throw away.

GF is the only resort on the loop I haven't stayed at yet. I just can't justify the $$$ quite yet until someone convinces me why it's worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!