I'm so disappointed and I don't know what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that's what's being reported on the Here now/Just back thread -- ALL attractions. But inconsistent as to where in the queue it's required (some at the official entrance, others in the extended queue).

Yeah thats what I am hearing. Hopefully we start hearing DL reports here soon as its getting close to rope drop.

I was there in October 2020, when the mask policy was in place everywhere (indoor and outdoor) and it was in the high 90's every day. I agree, go with the surgical masks if you need to. Those cotton Disney masks are very cute, but less breathable and bearable in the heat. Another thing we did (and this was my friend's idea) was to bring cosmetic wipes to clean off our faces in the restrooms. That actually helped a lot in as far as having sweaty face under the mask. It was not preferable by any means to have to wear a mask, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

THIS. I was also there in Oct '20 in the 90's each day. We were required to wear masks the entire time. It wasn't magical to have to do that, but our trip was not altered by wearing masks at all. And we knew that we would have to wear them. We took cosmetic wipes too. We wore a combination of the cute Disney masks and the surgical masks.

Okay, I'm lying. My daughter took her mask off during Haunted Mansion and, at that time, Disney was deleting your photos if you had your mask off. I didn't realize that her mask was off because -- well -- it's dark in there! I kept looking for that photo and looking for that photo... and I finally asked her if she had her mask off and she said yes. I was SO disappointed. That is the only way that our trip was altered by masks... by Memory Maker not having all of our pictures.

OP - Tolerance is subjective. Only you know what you can and can't tolerate. And only you can determine whether or not you'll go and whether or not it'll be "worth it" to you. If you are a first timer, going to Disney during Covid might not be a great experience. If you have health issues, going to Disney during Covid might not be a great experience. If you've not been vaccinated, going to Disney during Covid might not be a great experience. Trying to keep masks on young children - going to Disney during Covid might not be a great experience.

Stay healthy, my friends!

Last edited:
Folks,

I can probably offer some insight here. I just renewed our AP, and asked the castmember how many days we have spent in the parks. Since reopening, we have spent 28 days there, mostly long weekend trips. Our first trip was in July of 2020.

Please do not miss understand. I do not like wearing a mask. I will do almost anything to avoid it.

On our first trip, you had to wear a mask anywhere on property. It was difficult, but we did it. We had a great time. At one point, I had to take a phone call from work. I went all the way in a corner, outdoors (in AK), away from everyone to take the call. I took my mask off to speak on the phone. A cast member came over to me within a few minutes to tell me to put my mask on. I complied.

Over time, as the mask mandates loosened, so did the rules. Previously, when on-line, while the rule was you must have your mask on, in practicality on most lines they only had you put your mask on as your got indoors or under a covered area. With socially distanced lines, that basically meant as you entered the buildings at Space Mountain or Buzz. At Rock 'n Rollercoster, it was when you reached the covered area. At Tower of Terror, it was as you went thru the "Gates" at the entrance.

On our last trip, no masks required at all for the vaccinated. My entire family has been vaccinated for months. I saw a lot of children on that trip that did not have masks on, and we know they cannot get the vaccine. However, back to my initial statement, my family is all vaccinated, so I really did not care what others did.

My point in all of this, we did Disney with masks in some form or another for 25 out of those 28 days. It is doable. It can work. Obviously we enjoyed ourselves as we kept going back.

I must admit, it was nice seeing everyone's smiling faces, even if it was rather short lived.

As we are not allowed to discuss transmission rates, effectiveness of safety measures and so on, I'd encourage people to search for the latest information that CDC is about to release (most news outlet are now reporting on this). After reading this, each may come to their own conclusion as to what the theme parks would have to do to keep people as safe as possible - and whether what has been announced is sufficient, not sufficient or outrageous - and then vote with their wallet

FWIW (I don’t know if a previous poster stated this) was at magic Kingdom in early June when this was the mask policy and in queues you only needed to mask up when you reached the main entrance so with attractions like slinky dog over at studios if the line is down past the land entrance and over the bridge you’d only need to worry about masking up once you get to the attraction itself

This was our experience as well in early June.

OP - Tolerance is subjective. Only you know what you can and can't tolerate. And only you can determine whether or not you'll go and whether or not it'll be "worth it" to you. If you are a first timer, going to Disney during Covid might not be a great experience. If you have health issues, going to Disney during Covid might not be a great experience. If you've not been vaccinated, going to Disney during Covid might not be a great experience. Trying to keep masks on young children - going to Disney during Covid might not be a great experience.

Stay healthy, my friends!

Oh, I agree absolutely what you are saying about tolerance. Please forgive me if I was being glib! I meant being tolerant in the sense that we can't get mad every time something changes with Disney policies because it will, at least for the foreseeable future. However, I 100% respect everyone's personal decision as to whether or not it's worth it to them to go and spend their hard earned money in these circumstances.

I feel sorry for those that bought into getting vaccinated with the idea of not needing a mask. Of course, since it's 0.003% chance of being hospitalized after being vaccinated, I think Disney's mandate is an over reaction that will be withdrawn sooner than later. Hopefully before we travel the end of October!!

I don’t see it lasting past end of august if not mid or sooner. I also think they expected other parks to do the same and they didn’t.

Yep. It’s pretty simple really.

1) Require no masks for anyone/“the honor system.” We know the fate of vaccination, we know kids aren’t getting the shot, and yet barely anyone was wearing masks in the parks. So there are a bunch of liars.

2) Require masks for the unvaccinated. Would require ability to check vaccination status, not to mention some kind of marker for who is vaccinated (or unvaccinated).

3) Require masks for all. Easier to implement than (2), actually follows guidelines unlike (1).

If anyone wants to blame someone... look to the liars.

But #3 is already proving to be difficult to enforce and it’s not gonna get better.

How are you taking your mask on and off? You should touch the ear strap not the front, that would be nasty. Also, when we were there in May/June they didn't require the mask until you got up to the official line (where you would tap in for FP and what not) so a majority of the outside part with no fans/breeze was maskless and it was easy to use a handheld fan and umbrella (which you would need anyway, because it's August on your trip). What I found last August, when I had to wear a mask 100% of the time.....I was sweating like mad like I would any August, I felt no worse than i normally do during an August trip. As I prepare for yet another August trip I keep asking myself why I continue to go in August because it's ugly hot, mask or no mask. However, as someone who has medical issues with heat myself I strongly suggest rethinking this trip if you think that just wearing a mask is going to be what pushes you over the edge for having issues. Not saying that to be mean and doing a "well then just don't go then!!" kind of way, I have just been MANY times in August and I know it's tough without masks and I wouldn't want you having problems unnecessarily. I've had to seek medical help in the parks in August before myself, pre-covid, it's nothing to mess around with.
i am a nurse and you are correct that the safest way to remove a mask is by the ear straps. Next, you fold the mask with the area you breathed on, folded inward. We use the blue surgical masks for routine care but N95s when the patient has a possible contagious disease. Now, in most medical settings we assume that everyone is Covid positive rather than take a chance. Disposable masks are meant to be worn once and thrown out but I understand that this is not practical for the general public. At no time should a mask be removed and be hanging anywhere on the user's body. You can label your masks with the person's name and fold the masks away until they need to be used again. Sharpees work well on the triple layer paper masks.

I don’t see it lasting past end of august if not mid or sooner. I also think they expected other parks to do the same and they didn’t.

I have to say I agree with you on this. I could also see Disney not making a formal change to their policy, but instead just stop enforcing it. I can’t imagine compliance is going to get any better.

What I do hope to see return is the 6' "Please Wait Here" markers on the ground. Covid or no covid, it's nice waiting in line and not having the group behind you constantly bumping into you. Well, of course provided they can pick their heads out of their phones long enough to notice the line stopped. In those cases a 20' gap may not suffice.

They would actually have to reduce capacity in order to make that work. The Kilimanjaro Safaris queue is already snaking all over Africa and spilling out into backstage areas.

There is physically not room in the parks for Disney to maintain the overcapacity they've allowed while employing effective social distancing. So we get hygiene theater instead, because that doesn't actually cost them anything.

They can't ask for proof of the vaccine, but they could have you voluntarily show proof. If you show proof, you get a wrist band like they give out for after hours events. You have a wrist band, no mask. No wristband, put on your mask.
curios why "they can't ask for proof of vaccine"?

As a vaccinated person, I agree that the policy which asks everyone regardless of the vaccination status to wear a mask sucks especially during the Floridian summer. HOWEVER, I also understand the main reason why Disney asks EVERYONE to wear a mask. Disney has been recommending those unvaccinated people wearing masks. But since it is impossible to verify people's vaccination status, thanks to the you-know-who in FL., that was an impossible rule to reinforce. So it is back to everyone wearing a mask.
I would say it's likely more of a HIPPA problem than a you know who problem...but that's neither here nor there.

I would say it's likely more of a HIPPA problem than a you know who problem...but that's neither here nor there.

A private entity asking for vaccination status is not a HIPAA violation. A common misconception. HIPAA applies only to HIPAA-covered entities – healthcare providers, health plans, and healthcare clearinghouses – and their business associates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter