"I'm NEVER going back! "

Some people just don't like planning vacations. My mom is one of them. I'm taking her to WDW next year (first time for us) and I'm doing ALL the planning. I love to plan and research and learn about the places I visit...it's like starting the vacation early! And because money is an issue, I want to get the most out of my vacation dollar so I learn as much as I can. But planning would stress her out...she gets overwhelmed instead of just breaking it down into manageable chunks. So I do it, enjoy it and all I ask is that she learn what the attractions are so she can weigh in with what she wants to do. And when we go, all the $ will be saved in advance and we are going to go BIG!

On the $ subject, I have a friend who says they want to take their two young kids to Disneyland.

Me: When are you going?
Her: We don't know...we haven't started saving.
Me: Oh. (Silence.)

We had this conversation a couple times because I'm super excited for them to go and she keeps saying they want to go but doesn't save. Instead, she pins all her hopes on winning the yearly Disney vacation giveaway at her husbands work. Hey, I get that people have different priorities for money and vacationing and different $$ items that come up...bills and such, but it boils down to how bad you want it. If you don't care that much about going, you won't make saving for it a priority. Even if you're next to broke and it takes years, if ya want it bad enough you'll save and eventually get there. But my friend will never get there if she doesn't start saving!

The weirdest thing is that I asked them how much they thought it would cost and they said $3,000 and described what they wanted to do. But when I costed it out on my own I could do the same trip for $1,800 - same time, same kind of tix, transportation, decent hotel, 3 meals a day, everything. But ultimately it's their business and their money and I want to stay friends. So now I just drop it.

I'm also with the poster who said they don't understand why people complain it's expensive. Just heard from a friend who came back from D-land and was grousing about the food costing a lot. Duh! Find out what the prices are like before you go and save up enough $ so you can eat without complaining. Expect "State Fair" prices and be grateful the food is of better quality than it was when I was a kid. If you don't have the $, either wait to go until you do, or go somewhere cheaper, like camping.

It really does come down to this: Disney is not for everyone. If on your vacation you like to sleep in, be totally spontaneous (read: no planning ahead), and lounge around a beach or pool all day, then you should consider going somewhere else. That's not a criticism - that's just how some people roll and that is totally fine. We have had some vacations so laid back that dressing up for dinner means wearing the "good" flip flops.

When we go to Disney, however, that is a totally different experience. There are so many things to do and so much to see that you can't just show up and fly by the seat of your pants. That essentially guarantees an awful time. You could buy a nice hi-def tv or a decent used car for the price of some Disney vacations. I'm sure anyone buying a car or a tv would do at least some research and comparison shopping first to make sure they were getting the best value. For some reason, though, people just can't be bothered to put that same amount of forethought into their Disney vacation. I can't figure that out.

Thanks to proper planning, utilizing EMH and vigiliance with the FP system, each time we have gone to WDW we generally waited no longer than 20 - 30 minutes for any ride. The only exceptions were when a ride broke down while we were in line and when Fast Passes ran out for Toy Story Mania. During EMH, we were able to just walk on most rides - MULTIPLE times.

I advise anyone who is going to WDW for the first time to buy a good travel guide and learn as much as they can ahead of time and know what to expect. The unofficial one should practically be read cover to cover. Also signing up for various Disney newsletters and checking out sites like this one are great ways to get tips and information about The World. Some people just don't like the idea of having to do "homework" about their vacation.

:beach:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for a bit of reason and common sense! :thumbsup2 There is a fair amount of "I don't get people who don't get Disney World" attitude here. But we have to remember that all of our knowledge, information, insight and tricks of the trade were accumulated over years and years (decades even) of visits, many of which were done 'back in the day' when going to WDW was far easier than it is today. (Remember the 30 day cutoff for Priority Seating?) Going to WDW today does take planning. Many of the people who have become fodder for the funny stories here are probably perfectly capable of doing said planning, but either they choose not to, or have a hard time believing the advice of the commandos giving it, and learn the hard way. For many, planning a vacation should not be the equal of planning the Normandy Invasion. Yet we have folks here who admit to planning years in advance using spread sheets, Power Point presentations, laminated itineraries, and the like. (And I mean no offense, as I do some of these things as well. My DW has to double-check my minute by minute daily plans to make sure that we have built in time to breathe and go to the bathroom. :rotfl2:) But look at this from the other side. If someone came to you with guides, Power Point presentations, spreadsheets and calendars marked out more than 180 days to help you plan a vacation to somewhere you had never been, my guess is that you would either reconsider going to that place, or would take only half of the advice offered, figuring that the person who was trying to help you out was certifiable and going way beyond what was necessary. In the end, you might have a lousy time and face the "I told you so's" of your (former) friend.

Just imagine if you will that you had never been to WDW before and you had never heard of:
  • FD
  • RD
  • FP
  • FP+
  • M&Gs
  • ADRs
  • Pin Codes
  • EMHs
  • Hoppers
  • TiW
and I am really just scratching the surface. And then, a friend advised you that you really need to be familiar with and employ most of these things in order to maximize your vacation. And not only that. You really have to have a good bit of this mapped out before you arrive, and in many cases, 180+ days out. Don't you think that this would deter you from going even just a little bit? And if it didn't, wouldn't you be tempted to say: "It can't be that bad. I'm sure we will do fine by winging it." People who make that choice are not really the proper subject of our ridicule, scorn and humor. And when they come back and say that they had a lousy time, all we can or should say is that vacations to WDW are not vacations in the traditional sense and that they require a lot of advance planning and coping strategies. If they would like any assistance in the future, we'd be happy to give it. But if the expectation is that one can simply kick back and relax and still get the most out of what WDW has to offer, then perhaps a different style of vacation is in order.

I know another person who has DVC and goes every single year for 2.5 weeks. I used to say "You go every year?" and think that was so weird. We haven't been yet but I have been studying up on all WDW has to offer and reading these boards and now...I get it.

Unfortunately, quite a number of people I know think I'm weird for counting down the days until our trip (335!), but those are the people who've never been. All the people who've been there express varying degrees of pleasure and excitement - they're happy for us. I'm from the west coast so I think another factor is that a lot of people I know have only ever been to Disneyland, not WDW and I'm learning that it's like comparing apples to oranges. They have no concept of it so I get the eye-rolls and head shakes and weird looks. It's super-annoying but I just remind myself that when we're on vacation for a week, having a total blast, they'll be at work/home/school ...the daily grind!

The MouseJunkies always understand. ;)

If you know how to plan sufficiently and navigate, people wouldn't experience this!

but whenever coworkers or friends say they can't believe we go so much and that they're never going back, I say..."good".

after the puzzled look, I reply.."one less person in line in front of me. Thanks for thinking of me!"

Comparing -annual trip to the "lake" vs. trip to WDW
Food is about the same for us.. any place we would go, raises prices just like disney does!
So unless you are planning to eat more then you normally do.. Food shouldn't run you anymore at disney then it does when you go to the "lake"
If you would buy grocery for the "lake" then do so for WDW.. There is no rule you have to eat in the parks..

The other thing that people don't seem to add into the price of there non-disney trips is the rental car and/or gas
For those that go to the "lake" or for us here in New England "the cape"
BASIC Rental car for the week $300-$400 plus gas..
At disney we don't need to rent a car.. Disney picks us up and drops us off..

Lots to do... I know for a fact I will never hear out of my DD month "I'm bored" when we are at disney!
"Lake" good for maybe a day or two...

One more thing.. It's a biggie!

At disney.. Everyone is off the phones/iPods/ and other non-family approved devices... ( they get left in the room... And no one cares!)

Tv is only turned on in the room, why we are getting ready in the morning for mickey cartoons!( kids are normally dressed before we are)
and when we get back to room after our day to check the weather for the next day!

I love not having my kids be zombies in front of the TV!
Granted they only get two hours per day at home...

But everytime we go somewhere else after two days... Out comes the Handheld games, iPods, and TV is on ALL day!
Tell them to go outside, all i hear is "but is sooooo boring! "

Disney is our place to get UNPLUGGED..

Lots to do... I know for a fact I will never hear out of my DD month "I'm bored" when we are at disney!

I heard "I'm bored" from my 7 year old drama queen while we were at WDW. :mad: I said, "OK, we'll leave and go back to the hotel and go home tomorrow." That put an end to that quickly.

These stories are cracking me up :rotfl:

I've tried to help people, but they sort of act like I'm nutso so I keep my planning obsession to myself (most of the time). I guess I am a bit nutso, I have our Spring Break park days planned out in detail, in order (yes, OK, down to the minute - at least for those ever important first two hours). I did mention to someone at work that I did this and she said - you need to relax and consider what will happen if your plans don't work - to which I replied that I have back up plans - and back up-back up plans. I think she thinks I'm insane. :rotfl2:

Would you be willing to share, through e mail or pm, you Spring Break park planning? We are thinking of a trip next year for Spring break. Thx either way.

I really think that some people are just Disney lovers and some will never be, no matter how much prep work they put into it.

My best friend went last year for the first time with her husband and 3 kids. I offered help and she didn't really ask questions. I was worried that she'd hate it. They were going in August too.

She loved it. We were both born in 1971 so when we turn 50 (2021) , she wants us to both go for a birthday trip.:cool1:

On the other hand, the friend that followed all of the "rules" liked it OK, but doesn't want to go back.

Just to answer a few questions...

BBF= best bosom friend...
Anyone who has read Anne of green gables, knows what I meant ;-) , and anyone who hasn't... It's a VERY good read...

>>>>Popping a pin code..

What has ALWAYS worked for me.. ( and I offer to do this for her, on her disney account)

1. about 12-9mo. Before our trip I would go every 3 days a save a vacations offer..
The next time I would put in a different hotel.. Then maybe add the dinning plan, just keep Changing little things, and saving them..

2. I order my DVD at around 6-7mo..
3. Book all my dinging the week of 180days..
4. Call WDW.. Ask them for price quotes! (A CM told me this one)
Don't call more then once every 2-3 weeks tho.. Disney can see how many times you have called to ask about those dates..

I forgot to order maps for up coming trip- but still got a pin code.. So I'm not sure if they are still using that to pick people..

Also look up when disney releases offers to the public... Info can be found on mouse savers.com
Disney has normally set me out pin codes about 1month BEFORE they release offers to the public..
But my pin code normally is a 5%-10% better savings on room offers, or FD!
There is no point wasted time if they have already released offers for your dates.. I've NEVER gotten a pin code, after the public has a offer for my dates..

>>>>> and that's pin code popping 101! ;-)

And to be clear I asked if my BBF wanted help.. She said YES!
I asked if she would just like me to plan it and hand her a sheet, that she can follow.. (My friends normally love this) b/c I give them options if they need to adjust it! :-)
She said no.. B/c she thought it would asking to much of me...

There was no convincing her that I LOVE to do that!!

Thank you for explaining! I was wondering and hoping to get it "dumbed" down for me! You are now my Disney saving hero!

I heard "I'm bored" from my 7 year old drama queen while we were at WDW. :mad: I said, "OK, we'll leave and go back to the hotel and go home tomorrow." That put an end to that quickly.

Terrific way to handle it - I love it! haha. You're a good mom. :thumbsup2

Ugh, if it was my kid, then instead of WDW, the next trip I'd take the kid on would be like a mission trip to a foreign country that had some extreme poverty and we'd serve the poor...people who don't have clean water, enough food, or the opportunity to go to school safely on a regular basis, let alone WDW!

Barahona6 said:
Thank you for explaining! I was wondering and hoping to get it "dumbed" down for me! You are now my Disney saving hero!

I keep my cape under my Mickey ears! ;-)

On our 1st couple trips didn't know how to pop a pin code, then when I went looking it I just kept trying everything..

Keeping what I had done and the order I did it in... In my disney note book..

After 3-4 trips with a pin code we noticed a trend...
I'm to sure exactly what makes them send them... But I do know last year we skipped our annual trip to WDW (we were going to DL this time)
I got 4 pin codes For WDW!! Without doing anything.. :confused:

DH said they knew we weren't coming this year, and are trying to change are minds :rotfl:

My 12 year old daughter and I were talking about this thread. She reminded me of a time we were talking vacation plans with friends:

Other Mom: You're going to Disney again?

Me: Yes, it's been a couple of years. We went to Wyoming last year. (See, we do go other places.)

OM: It must be nice to be able to afford to go to Disney so often.

Other daughter: Maybe we can't go to Disney, but we did get Hannah Montana tickets. They cost $120 each! (Said this in a way to provoke envy knowing we would never spend that much on a concert.)

My daughter: You do know that is about 2 days at Disney World, right?

Other Mom & Daughter: Oh.

What I wanted to say: Yes, I know you can't afford a Disney vacation, but you can afford $150 a month membership to that health club you never go to. Just sayin'.

LoL! This is why I love the disboards...people who can appreciate my craziness!

Yes no doubt, and thats also what I love about these kind of threads. We are all on the same side of the equation. We're in the Disney know ;) (to differing degrees). We get it and we know how to do it.

The other day my niece asked me how my DD & DS both got into Disney College. Her father, my brother sarcastically said "We'll, first of all you have to vacation at WDW for 20 years in a row!" I just smiled like the cat that ate the canary because none of my extended family gets it. In the meantime, me and mine continue to have an awesome vacation year after year. ::yes::

I'm a HUGE disney person, like most here..
When I hear a friend is planning a disney trip, I offer to help. If they want it..
For those that let me help them, and LISTEN to what i tell them it turns out great.. And for those that don't..

Well this is how the conversation has gone with my BBF after the last three times she has gone!

BBF: IM NEVER GOING BACK!
Me. Why? What happened? ( I never should have asked)

1. It was VERY hot!
ME: when did you go?
BBF: Uuuuh.. of 1st week of July..

2. was to expensive
ME: did you do what I suggested to pop a pin code?
BBB: Uuuuuh.. No I got busy
Me: Well did you, check the special offer page before you booked online?
BBF: Uuuuh.. I forgot
Me: Well did you call an ask?
BBF:The wait on the phone was to long.. Me: how long BBF: 5 min..

3. It Was to crowded!
Me: When did you go again?
BBf: 1st week of July..
Me: Well did you make it to RD?
BBF: No, we wanted to sleep in.. It is a vacation..

4. There were no places to eat!
ME: did you get your ADRs at 180 days..
BBF: I don't know what I want to eat 180 day in advance!!
BBf: We ate hamburgers the whole time we were there..
Me: Did you take the list I gave you on good places to get something to eat?
BBF: No, I left it in the hotel room..

5. Food was REALLY expensive
BBF:I spent over $65 just on lunch for my family of 4..
Me: where was the list of good places to eat again?
BBF: in the hotel room..

This went on and on for over 3 hours!!!
The she was trying to convince me that I should cancel my upcoming trips.. And go somewhere else!
I know she is my BBF, but I will never understand why people make things harder then they really are!!

How does everyone deal with people like this? Without ruining a friendship..

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

But I will take your advice! How do I try to get a pin code?

I definitely have friends like this, and a lot of people who don't understand why or how I go as often as I go. Even when situations like yours happen, I kinda just shrug my shoulders and let it go, if they're not listening to your advice, it's their own choice! Lawl.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter