I'm here!!!

torsie24

Mummy to a perfect princess.
Been awake since 4.30am!

I am just way too excited!!! And not good at changing timezones!

Our journey was wonderful yesterday, albeit long. Both flights were really spacious and a great service on our Delta LHR-DTW leg. Detroit was the easiest airport ever to connect in. Had cleared immigration, and got bags, and re checked in within about 20 minutes.

Found ME no problem, and had a bit of a wait to leave as we just missed a bus.

But we were on our way soon enough adn the journey flew by. We stopped at Pop and CSR first, and then it was our turn!!

As soon as we got through the lobby door there was a huge group of kids all aroung a drummer guy, and it was like a welcome party as we stepped though adn he started playing and they all started dancing! Hee hee.

We stood in awe for a bit then got checked in.

I only booked a standard room, but we have been given possibly the best savannah room I could hae hoped for! Right near the start of the zebra trail with a view over the arusha savannah and the lobby. :)

I can't wait for today to start properly, and for the animals to wake up, and to get to the MK!!

Oh so jealous :goodvibes

Glad your flight went ok, cannot wait for more updates.

Have a lovely first day :woohoo:

You have done the same route we did last Oct, Heathrow via Detroit. We had no problems either, We were on a NWA plane wich was brilliant.

We booked std rom last year and got upgraded to Savannah room, if we had handpicked the room we couldn't have done better, right next to giraffe feeding point. Problem is we never want to go back there now in a std room but I won't pay savannah view prices.

Have a great day.

how exciting, have a great time at MK today :thumbsup2

Have a fab time! :woohoo:

I only booked a standard room, but we have been given possibly the best savannah room I could hae hoped for! Right near the start of the zebra trail with a view over the arusha savannah and the lobby. :)

We booked std rom last year and got upgraded to Savannah room, if we had handpicked the room we couldn't have done better, right next to giraffe feeding point. Problem is we never want to go back there now in a std room but I won't pay savannah view prices.

Interesting about the Savannah View upgrades. We are considering AKL for our trip next year and were going to pay for the upgrade. With this new information though, we probably won't. I know there's no guarantee that we'll get a free upgrade, but I think I'm right in thinking that we can always pay for one at check-in, if there are any rooms available.

Interesting about the Savannah View upgrades. We are considering AKL for our trip next year and were going to pay for the upgrade. With this new information though, we probably won't. I know there's no guarantee that we'll get a free upgrade, but I think I'm right in thinking that we can always pay for one at check-in, if there are any rooms available.

There are some that believe upgrades at AKL get given on almost every short stay trip, they have very few std rooms so they are used for people that book long stay std rooms( eg UK 14 night travellers) not sure if this is true or not.
We were there 3 nights and got upgrade but we were also AP holders which might have helped.
I would guess quieter months you are almost sure to get an upgrade busy months less chance.
Yes you can ask at desk if you could buy an upgrade if they don't offer you one(or ask 1st)

There are some that believe upgrades at AKL get given on almost every short stay trip, they have very few std rooms so they are used for people that book long stay std rooms( eg UK 14 night travellers) not sure if this is true or not.
We were there 3 nights and got upgrade but we were also AP holders which might have helped.
I would guess quieter months you are almost sure to get an upgrade busy months less chance.
Yes you can ask at desk if you could buy an upgrade if they don't offer you one(or ask 1st)

Thanks Wayne. :thumbsup2

Interesting about the Savannah View upgrades. We are considering AKL for our trip next year and were going to pay for the upgrade. With this new information though, we probably won't. I know there's no guarantee that we'll get a free upgrade, but I think I'm right in thinking that we can always pay for one at check-in, if there are any rooms available.[/QUOTE]

We had a standard room book, ooh a good few years back now I think it was in 2004, we wasnt offered a free upgrade and when i cheekly asked they said it would not be possible due our stay been for 21 night.

We ended up paying extra though and I recall it cost approx $750.00 for the three weeks. But like I say this was 5 years ago now.

We had a standard room book, ooh a good few years back now I think it was in 2004, we wasnt offered a free upgrade and when i cheekly asked they said it would not be possible due our stay been for 21 night.

We ended up paying extra though and I recall it cost approx $750.00 for the three weeks. But like I say this was 5 years ago now.

Thanks for the info. I guess free upgrades aren't always possible! $750 to upgrade for three weeks isn't too bad though. We're planning on going in September, so perhaps we'd have more chance of getting it for free as it's low season. We'll see!

So jealous of Torsie right now, what with her great room and impending visit to MK! :cutie:

Hi Torsie. Great news about the room. Hope you have a great time at MK.

Pleased to hear you got there safe and are having a wonderful time.

Looking forward to seeing you check in again and hear about your days

Glad you got there ok and WOW about getting such a great room. have a brilliant time

Interesting about you saying about upgrades for short vs. long stays.

We're here for 14 nights, so must have just got lucky. Maybe because we have engagement on our reservation it helped us out?

I am currently lying on the bed and watching some Pelicans, a giraffe and the biggest cow thing with the hugest horns EVER on the savannah out of the window. :)

We had an amazing morning at the MK!!!!!!!

The welcome show was awesome, I love love loved it!! We then walked down Main Street and through liberty square, where froniterland Donald was all alone so we chatted with him and had some photos.

We rode Splash Mountain first - got drenched at the start as a log came down beside us! The drop was really fast and steep - not what I was expecting!

We then rode in order:

BTM
PotC
Jungle Cruise
HM
Winne the Pooh
Small World
Philharmagic
TTA
and Buzz

The only ride we feel wasn't as good as Paris's version was PotC, the Jack Sparrow animatronics were awesome, but it just seemed to be over so abruptly though. We forgave it as it is waaaay older, and still super fun.

We though BTM was just as fun, HM was better than Phantom Manor, Small World was just as charming, and I really loved the jungle room. Buzz lightyear seemed a lot harder to score on though! I got my lowest score of all time!

Philharmagic is officially my favourite Disney attraction of ALL TIME!! It was like all my dreams of being in my favourite movies from childhood had come true! We are riding again tomorrow!!!! Oooooooh I loved it!

I personally found this MK to feel a lot more magical and to look more impressive. We got a free Dole Whip, and the CMs are just soooo friendly and it all adds to an awesome atmosphere.

Right, I must dash as we're off to AK for pm EMH. :)

I'll update later!!! xxxxxxxxxx

I prefer PotC at Disneyland Cali, WDW not quite as good.

Well done getting a free Dole Whip, how you manage that?

Was it this horny cow you saw? :rotfl:

IMG_9188Medium.jpg

This was our view

P1010382Medium.jpg

P1010429Medium.jpg

:thumbsup2 What a view Wayneg!

So glad you are having a great time! Hows the weather? It's getting a bit chilly here.

oh and well done on the free dole whip, yum yum! :wizard:

wow torsie - what a fantastic upgrade!!:banana::banana:

So glad you are having such a great time, and really looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter