I'm guessing our family is done with Disney

Wow! Hmm! I live in CALI and we do not have that new system at DL/DCA.

Is it really all that bad?

HEY to all those that hate the new system at WDW why don't you come here!!!!

You will get all the MAGIC and then some from the Park that Walt walked in!!!!

We have CARS LAND!!!!

And this is exactly what we will do. This will be our last trip to WDW. The FP+ limit of 3, with the inability to choose the same ride twice, is the absolute last straw in a series of declining vacation experiences we've had there on property. From this point forward, all Orlando trips will be on site at Universal, and we will "show our Disney sides" in Anaheim, where the FP's flow free like rivers of wine.

Is it possible that WDW is redefining their target market? I, like many on the DIS, Hate the FP+ system. However, many either like it or do not seem to think it detracts from the value of WDW. So maybe the execs have segmented their market and found more profitable potential guests than ones that fit the profile of us old time DISers.

Someone posted that a visit to WDW with FP+ is still great if you visit in the off season. That may be true, but for many like me, my job makes that time period very difficult.

I for one will be spending my amusement park vacation dollars on DLR & Universal Orlando unless the value returns to a WDW vacation. For those that continue to visit WDW using FP+, I honestly wish you a magical time.:)

Is it possible that WDW is redefining their target market? I, like many on the DIS, Hate the FP+ system. However, many either like it or do not seem to think it detracts from the value of WDW. So maybe the execs have segmented their market and found more profitable potential guests than ones that fit the profile of us old time DISers.

Someone posted that a visit to WDW with FP+ is still great if you visit in the off season. That may be true, but for many like me, my job makes that time period very difficult.

I for one will be spending my amusement park vacation dollars on DLR & Universal Orlando unless the value returns to a WDW vacation. For those that continue to visit WDW using FP+, I honestly wish you a magical time.:)

Thanks for the positive wishes :) I wish you magical vacations at UO and DLR and wherever else anyone chooses to vacation!

I doubt Disney implements ANY system without first seeing what is in it for them.

As has been pointed out Fast Pass was not always in use at the parks. It was an adjustment learning how to tour using it too! If people are so set in their ways that they will only go to WDW if they can tour the way they used to, then they are the ones making it impossible to enjoy a Disney vacation.

Using FP+ is an adjustment. But it is not all negative, and my trip in December didn't suck because of it. I was willing to learn the new system and figure out how to make it work, and I was willing to adjust how I tour a bit. If someone is not willing to learn and adjust, then they will probably have a negative experience. Their choice. The tools are all there to still have a great Disney vacation. It may not be how you used to tour, but it can still be very fun.

Good points -- which is why I'm deferring my next WDW adventure until they've ironed the kinks out of MB/MDE/FP+, or decided that it won't scale to their visitor load and come up with Plan B from Anaheim.

This makes no sense :headache:
What they had worked just fine.
They are improving something that doesn't need improving (IMO).
They think with this billions of dollars "improvement" they can get people to spend/"enjoy" more time in the disney bubble so they get more $ because they will be SO HAPPY to be able to "lock in" 3 FPs.
(what most people don't know is that with a little bit of research and work they could've locked in 6+ fps... :laughing: )

I assume this works for the newbies in general but totally NOT the vets who knows how to work the current system to the best way possible for their families.

FP+ = Ride rationing to me

I know all FP+ supporters don't agree with this but I totally do.

If our family can get 6+ FPs before and minimal wait on other rides but now we can only get 3 and long wait on etix rerides how is that not ride rationing?

The previous system benefits people who do their homework and wants to do the hardwork.

The current system "tries" to make it fair (= more $$$$$ for Disney) for everyone regardless on whether you want to do the research and work or not.

All the people that says "more room for us", that's not going to be true I don't think.
In the end the Disney will "train" all the guests minds that 3 FP+ is the awesomest thing in the world and people will still come.
So I doubt there will be a huge drop in guest visits.

But us people who are not happy will still get to vote with our $ and say "see you in a couple years or so!" instead of our normal "See you in 4-6months!". And also voice our displeasure with the new system.
They might/might not care, but we can still voice them... :thumbsup2

I didn't mean to hit a nerve but obviously the pervious system wasn't working as you claim if it was they wouldn't have spent all this money to change it.
The old system allowed people like you and myself who knew what to do to hoard fast passes while many newbies as you called them who were unaware of how to play the fast pass game suffered in super long lines.

The old system worked for my family and we will try make the new one work just as well but if it doesn't it wont ruin my vacation and I certainly wont villainize a company for changing their polices even if it is simply for finical gain. I cant believe they are not giving extra plus options to Disney resort guest or even offering a play to pay pass for those willing to pay.

The first time or once in a life time WDW guest spends much more money in WDW than the repeat guest. I have been to WDW more times than I can count. In my early trips, I spent all kinds of money on gifts, tee shirts, mugs - you name it. Look around my house and see the wonder that represents my Disney purchasing experience. But after a while, you stop spending. I now limit myself to a single purchase per trip per person.

Sure, you could look at the total that I have spent and assume that I am spending more than most guests, but when averaging my spend per day over my lifetime, it pales in comparison with my early days in the park - and those early days represent Disney's target audience in everything that they do. Those guests will have no idea that FP- ever existed. For them, FP+ will be a great "perk".

EXACTLY!! Didn't most of us start touring WDW before there was any type of Fastpass?! We all have magical memories of those trips, right??! :confused3 I just do not understand the outrage over changes at a vacation destination! If you only had real issues to worry about!

We did 3 trips prior to FP- and we hated all but 2 of them, and actually I wasnt thrilled with the first one but since that was the last family vacation with my dad I think I paint it rosier in my head than it was. We thought we would never step foot in WDW ever again. We stood in 2 hour long summer lines for Splash...it was miserable. Then DH did some research about FP and we decided to give it a try when DS16 was 4 and we were hooked and we havent looked back, we go as often as we can, and bought DVC bc of it. We have traveled many other places but WDW is like home, and we are not thrilled with how the FP+ system is happening. BUT if they ever took away FP all together, we would sell our DVC in a heartbeat and we would say goodbye to WDW forever.

I guess you might be right but there are tons of us DVCers that bought into this place based on how certain things were done.

I was wondering too if there is a shift to the target market? FP+ works great for my family. In fact, it's given us more opportunity to ride attractions. From October to December, our riding doubled from 2 attractions for 4 or 5. It seems to work great for people who need to tour at a leisurely pace.

I haven't been to any of the parks with tiering yet. Perhaps we'll try one on Monday.

At AK the 3 FP+ was a perfect fit. At MK, 5 FP+ would have been a better fit.

We did too!:cool1:

As I've said before, I think it is pretty sad that people decide to miss out on a vacation they enjoy because of something new they haven't even tried yet. And I have to add, I also don't get the point of threads like this. Are they just looking for people to agree with them? Does it make deciding to skip a WDW vacation easier if you state the reasons why?

A vacation we have previously enjoyed, that is. Now, they have limited my potential experience, while charging me MORE. There are other vacation destinations that I'm sure to enjoy, while getting more for my money. WDW is not the end-all, be-all of vacation destinations. I used to think it was, but I've changed my mind.

I have a 10 year old who only wants to ride 6 rides in all of WDW, and it's the 6 that are the tallest and go the fastest. The inability to choose the same ride twice, and the inability to have more than 3 per day, coupled with the inability to choose more than one park in a day, have pushed me over the edge. We will from now on stay on site at Universal, and never wait for anything.

I've always sang the praises of Disney customer service, which in most cases, is second to none. That is the only part that saddens me about not returning, they have always gone out of the way to take care of my family, and I always felt it was a safe place to travel with my daughter alone to. I just can no longer justify the cost for a lesser experience, when right up the road there are far more things my child wants to do, with way more, and much better, on-site privileges.

...I guess you might be right but there are tons of us DVCers that bought into this place based on how certain things were done.
These are the folks that I feel for the most. It is one thing for me to say that I might stop buying APs, but those with a greater investment in WDW have more skin in the game.

IMO, DVC owners should get all kinds of perks - something like Universal Studios' FOTL system seems in order given this change. Considering how much Disney continues to invest in DVC properties, I wonder if this will cost them on that front.

These are the folks that I feel for the most. It is one thing for me to say that I might stop buying APs, but those with a greater investment in WDW have more skin in the game.

IMO, DVC owners should get all kinds of perks - something like Universal Studios' FOTL system seems in order given this change. Considering how much Disney continues to invest in DVC properties, I wonder if this will cost them on that front.

DVC DOES have all kinds of perks. Namely, vacations basically at half price.

I'm confused. If you've been going to Disney for 30 years, then you stood for 20 years in line with no fastpass at all. My teenage memories include standing in hour long lines for all kinds of rides and feeling it was totally worth it.
In the days before FP, everyone rode SB, so you didn't have people cutting you off. The SB lines were shorter. There is a reason why rides like Peter Pan, IASW, and Haunted Mansion have had to extend their queues. Back in the days before FP, the lines did not extend back as far as they do now. Yes, you waited an hour for a few rides. But really, not that many. Now, 60-75 minute rides can be found for far more rides, and with tiering, you have no choice but to wait in several. With FP-, you could develop a strategy that would allow you to never wait in such a line. Now, the only way to avoid such lines is to skip the ride altogether, or ride it less. Yes it is still possible to ride all the rides. But not as many times. To many people, that is very important. Disney is about "quality time" to be sure. But in today's world of instant access to virtually everything, 75 minutes in a march toward a turnstile is not quality time to many.
DHS is better, even with tiering.
I don't agree at all. Without tiering, you could get FPs for ToT, RnR, and TSM. With tiering, you can only get 2 out of 3. There is no argument to be made that 2 out of 3 beats 3 out of 3. And with FP-, you could easily ride each of those headliners twice per day without ever waiting in a 60 minute line. You could knock off each within the first hour, grab a FP for TSM before 10:00, and one for the other 2 attractions at noon and 2:00, if not earlier if your return times permitted. That's 6 headliners with a minimal wait. This simply cannot be done any longer. At best, you can hit those three rides early in the first hour and a half (assuming you arrive at RD as before, so this hasn't changed anything. If you want to hit these rides without long SB lines, you have to make RD same as before.) Then, later in the day, you can repeat 2 of these three with FP+, but not all 3. And because DHS is so lacking in rides, many people would ride these 3 rides a total of 9 or 10 times in some combination. That is absolutely impossible now.

To sum it up, while FP+ allows people to skip RD and ride the three headliners at DHS, their day would consist of a late arrival, rides on two major attractions with FP+, and a ride on the third headliner with a 60+ minute wait. Maybe even 75-90 minutes. Skipping RD pretty much sentences you to this fate. So go ahead and praise the new system for allowing people to arrive at their leisure. But know ahead of time that if you do, if you want 6 rides on the headliners, 4 of them will come with 75 minute waits. This is better?

I've experienced enough of the FP+ and MyMagic+ to know that it has bad points and a few good points,in short it's not the end of the world.However especially after seeing the Harry Potter Diagon Alley webcast Universal put out yesterday and just how fast phase 2 of the whole project went up one of the reasons I can see people giving up on Disney is the lack of new attractions and the speed (or lack thereof) of new projects to get finished.That and the expectations people will continue shelling out huge lumps of money for a product that could and should be much better.The years go by and their parks get older with few if any additions,rumors come and go of new attractions that usually never happen

That's exactly where Disney is losing me. It isn't FP+ - that just a symptom of what I view as a broken, dollars-over-customers corporate philosophy that is guiding WDW right now. A billion dollars could have added a lot of attractions and experiences that would better distribute crowds and enhance the guest experience. Instead it was spent on a line-management system that is a clear take-away compared to their old system and which appears to be built from the ground up on the premise that in addition to annually-increasing prices for rooms, tickets, and food, you will now have to pay extra to have the park experience you used to enjoy just for buying a ticket.

I don't think they are redefining their target market, I think they are just now going out of their way to cater to it. I've been saying in multiple threads for the past few weeks that after you visit once your value to Disney declines greatly. This contrasts greatly with DLR, who knows exactly who their target audience is and always has. There isn't even a whisper of a rumor of FP+ out west in Cali, even though I found DL to feel far more crowded than the MK on a slow day in the off season. I think that speaks volumes.

We did 3 trips prior to FP- and we hated all but 2 of them, and actually I wasnt thrilled with the first one but since that was the last family vacation with my dad I think I paint it rosier in my head than it was. We thought we would never step foot in WDW ever again. We stood in 2 hour long summer lines for Splash...it was miserable. Then DH did some research about FP and we decided to give it a try when DS16 was 4 and we were hooked and we havent looked back, we go as often as we can, and bought DVC bc of it. We have traveled many other places but WDW is like home, and we are not thrilled with how the FP+ system is happening. BUT if they ever took away FP all together, we would sell our DVC in a heartbeat and we would say goodbye to WDW forever.

I guess you might be right but there are tons of us DVCers that bought into this place based on how certain things were done.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but that is thing with time share things are always subject to change. Plus I can't imagine that those who bought DVC didn't anticipate changes in park operations at some point during the time frame of their membership. It is kind of a silly assumption to think that over the 40 year term of your contract things like fast pass would stay exactly the same.

Actually, it's more like a million "I'm not going to try this" posts. The positive reviews get buried by the "never going to try this" posts.:)
This exactly!!! We were down there in November and head down again tomorrow morning. We think it's awesome. It's only a bad system if you're the person who wants to ride Space Mountain and Soarin' over and over and over and over and...

Change can be good. Adapt or die. Ask the dinosaurs!

Jim

I guess you might be right but there are tons of us DVCers that bought into this place based on how certain things were done.

Yeah but that is thing with time share things are always subject to change. Plus I can't imagine that those who bought DVC didn't anticipate changes in park operations at some point during the time frame of their membership. It is kind of a silly assumption to think that over the 40 year term of your contract things like fast pass would stay exactly the same.

That's why the contract is very careful to divorce the parks from the properties.

Even if one buys into their Magical Math and believes by staying there they're saving half their normal vacation costs, nobody seriously thinks Disney is losing money on DVC, do they?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter