• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I'm assuming a car rental is a must?

IMO it depends how long you are staying and the intent of your trip. We stayed for 5 days with no car and were fine.
BUT we had previously stayed in Waikiki and rented a car for one day to do Dole plantation, North Shore, Pearl Harbor, and drive around the island. (Yes, we did all that in one day and did not feel rushed, with 2 kids.) We then did a cruise with excursions on 3 other islands. Our last 5 days of a 2 week trip were intended to be relaxing sit around the pool/beach/spa days. We walked over to get basic groceries, ate at MonkeyPod once, and the rest of the time were content at the resort.

So if you are looking at Aulani as a relaxing resort/beach stay, I think its fine not to have a car. If you are considering it a home base to explore Oahu, you will need a car for at least a couple days.

There is so much to see and taste on the island that you should attempt to find a reasonably priced rental car. Good luck in finding a rental.

If you have little ones and are planning on staying on property at Aulani and for less then 4-5 days you could probably get away without a vehicle. We’ve never not done Aulani without a vehicle,
being DVC (free parking) and being one exit from Costco and Target it’s convenient having a vehicle. We never have a vehicle while Waikiki and if we do we do one day rentals for day trips to avoid the parking fees as the exorbitant resort fees don’t include parking anymore.

Agree that a rental car is fantastic, but the prices are absolutely out of control right now. But it sounds like ride shares are also a nightmare.

I would recommend a car if you are staying more than 3 or 4 nights. That being said, we are going in July 2022 for 4 nights and my plan right now is to not rent a car because we enjoyed the 2-day island tour from Oahu Private Tours so much in 2019 - so we will do them again. Busy at work right now to go into too much detail, but I have plenty of info and pictures in my trip report linked in my signature. I hope that may help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter