I'm a boomer, he's a boomer,

disykat

This person totally gets me
Don't you want to be a boomer too? Boomer pride just struck deep. I just saw an article roasting boomers and found out it's funny I use an electric knife (that I received for my wedding over 30 years ago, of course) once a year on Thanksgiving. I love pulling out my electric knife!

I'll never give it up, never!!!!

Anyone else proud to be a boomer? And what are your defining moments? (I'm actually kind of proud of my 1970's Dr Pepper reference, so there's another one...)

Last edited:
I guess I"m a boomer but I've never felt like one. Depending which list you read the boomer cutoff can be anywhere from 1963 to 1965. I was born on Dec 30, 1963 and I really just never felt like I fit in much with the boomers. However, I did get an electric knife as a wedding gift but I don't have it anymore. There are definitely some holiday meals where I wonder what the heck happened to it! That said, everyday run-of-the-mill bed sheets were so quality back then that I still have a set that was a wedding gift.

I’m one of the first Boomers, born in ‘47. DH is just a bit older. He’s the one who uses an electric knife, at every opportunity possible.

I remember my mother having an electric knife. She used it when we had a roast. I never really saw the point of it, lol.

I’m on the tail end of boomer, too. I think my work habits are definitely boomer. If I’m done with something, I usually find something else to do. One of the most interesting classes I’ve ever had was on the work habits of the different generations. Will see if I can find something that illustrates the differences. Here’s one example, will keep my eye out for more of a chart.

https://www.paychex.com/articles/human-resources/how-to-manage-multiple-generations-in-the-workplace

5 generations in the workplace
There are many benefits of a multigenerational workforce. Each generation can have varied strengths and concerns, and differences in styles and expectations can sometimes create tension. Studying the work habits of each generation and proactively anticipating their needs can help companies devise effective human capital management strategies. Note that dates used to define each generation are approximate; some of your employees' experiences may be more reflective of a preceding or succeeding generation.

• Generation Z (1997–2012)
  • Millennials (1981–1996)
  • Generation Xers (1965–1980)
  • Baby boomers (1946–1964)
  • Silent generation (born between 1928 and 1945)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

4. Baby boomers
Born after World War II, through 1964, baby boomers have long been known for their strong work ethic and goal-centric tendencies. They tend to be hardworking and value face-to-face interaction. They didn't grow up using computers, although they will use technology for job-related functions.

How to attract and retain baby boomers
Older employees may be more comfortable with traditional recruiting processes that include creating formal resumes and holding face-to-face interviews. They may be more likely to find jobs through advertisements, word of mouth, and referrals. Retention strategies that work well for this generation focus on recognizing them for achievements through public ceremonies or other awards they can share with family, friends, and coworkers.

Baby boomers' ideal workplace environment
Baby boomers aren't usually looking to job-hop, so job security is appealing to them. They may appreciate a more formalized, structured environment than younger generations would. Growing up without digital communication means they're more amenable to interaction in group meetings.

How a baby boomer employee wants to be managed
Baby boomers are often hardworking and want to be recognized for their skills. They are often a great source of knowledge about their industry and appreciate the chance to share their expertise. Managers should look to leverage their skills and encourage them to mentor younger employees.

Employee benefits baby boomers want
As many members of this generation are nearing retirement, they appreciate flexible work policies. Many experienced staff members will consider staying on the job longer if they're offered reduced schedules, the option of working from home, or alternate hours. Health care and retirement benefits, including a 401(k) match, are also highly desired.

*Feel free to post your own.

Gen Xer of Boomer parents. My mom and uncle were talking about electric knives at Thanksgiving and the consensus was that make the turkey tough. 🤷‍♀️

I’m a later Boomer and never felt the need for an electric knife. But I did take my mom’s when she passed and use it to slice turkey or roasts.

As far as an electric knife, DH never liked using one and never had one. My dad was the electric knife person and used it all the time when slicing turkey, roasts or a london broil.

I'm not a boomer, but I generally lean toward defending them and their ways when compared to the younger types.

DH and I are at the end of the boomer years, born in the early 60’s. So an electric knife is considered old-fashioned? Who knew? Yes I have one from my bridal shower, and use it fairly frequently for turkey and various other meats. And it works great to slice up a pineapple!

We also still have a landline phone (in addition to cell phones), and still get a printed newspaper delivered. And although we download new music, we enjoy playing our old record albums and CDs. Old habits are hard to break. ;)

Boomer from the end of the generation, 1963. I’ve never owned or used an electric knife. My parents were from the Silent Generation and my father used his electric knife every Thanksgiving and Christmas (a repeat of Thanksgiving dinner). He would reduce the turkey to bones with that thing.

I was born in 1962 so I’m a late boomer. I have never really felt like one. My husband on the other hand was born in 1955. He definitely is a boomer. In fact I have to tell him all the time to crawl out from under the rock. 😆

We’re boomers - 1946 and 1950. We received an electric knife as a wedding gift and used it until we got a good set of carving knives. We also received ten sets of sheets as wedding gifts. 😁 It’s interesting to read the info on baby boomers, but not all apply of course. DH had a job in the computer field and I used many types of computers in my career. We have all the technology gadgets available and love and appreciate them. We both remember our families getting our first TVs, and we remember getting our first VCRs and microwaves, dishwashers, flat screen TVs. I often think that my Dad would love this technology.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter