Illuminations Dining Package at Rose and Crown

Waiting to hear reports for non-package R&C diners. Upper patio still available? Private standing viewing area still available for side patio or indoor diners?

Right there with you. Don't think I am doing the package but I already had an original ADR for my late April trip. Depending on the reports, I will either keep it, down some half and halfs or cancel it and do a drinky around the worldy type of thing. Much rather have my old experience out on the deck with what I want to order.

My ADRs open Monday, and I was truly considering this, but I think I’m going to pass.

I didn’t get to see this show last time because my kids were just beyond ready to leave the park and so we left.

This time (without the kids!) I want to really enjoy it.

Since we were planning on eating/drinking all day, I think I’ll just skip these parties and grab a seat closer somewhere. Maybe snag it as a late FP.

No interest in this package after reading the review. I was so disappointed to see the photos with that big hedge blocking the view.

DW and I did this last night with her parents. We were seated on the upper patio. The lower patio was empty. From the looks of it, we would have had more space if seated at the tables on the lower patio. The tables on the upper patio were really crammed together. They allowed those of use who booked the package to watch Illuminations from the upper patio, with the with plastic windows rolled up, or on the lower patio. DW's parents stayed on the upper patio and said the view was great. Would probably have been better if the umbrellas were completely removed from the lower patio tables. The umbrellas were closed.

DW and I went to the lower patio to watch Illuminations. No one other than dining package folks were allowed in that space, The hedge is a minor obstruction if you are sitting down. But if you choose to stand, then it is no obstruction at all. There was plenty of room to stand, and the show is only 14 minutes long. (Please note, this is not a comment directed at people who cannot or have difficulty standing). Both DW and I, and her parents, thought that the package was well worth it. I do wish that we had been able to eat on the lower patio, assuming the number of tables and spacing would have been the same. I did take note of the people who were able to watch Illuminations from the corner of the patio, the one that the review said would have a better view than those seated behind the hedge - they were crammed in there like sardines and all standing. I would have hated it.

As for the food and service, we thought it was great for the most part. The odd thing was, my father in-law wanted to try one of the beer offerings and asked for a small glass of it. He was told that all of the beer type drinks only came in 20oz glasses. It seemed odd that they wouldn't accommodate him.

Thanks for the review. This just confirms what I suspected about the view. I don’t want to pay a premium price and have to stand to get a decent view. I’m still wondering why it was ever a popular spot if it’s an obstructed view.

I had thought about booking this, I just wish the menu wasn’t different. They basically excluded every item on the menu I’d eat and put everything I wouldn’t, do there’s no reason to spend the money when I won’t enjoy any of the food.

Waiting for additional reviews.
Good idea. Given that people (myself included) have been literally begging for over twenty years, and willingly waiting an extra half hour to forty-five minutes, for the chance to have dinner at those tables, I think some folks aren't seeing the value but others - perhaps some who are now reluctant to share their experiences given the comments - are.

I am still interested in this package and for now am keeping my reservations. Why? Well the perfect view isn't as important to us as a less crowded place to view Illuminations SITTING DOWN. Our family is only 3 people, including our daughter with autism, and we would also prefer to have our own table as opposed to sharing one at the Frozen Dessert Party. However, after reading that last review, I am now concerned they are going to cram everyone in on the upper deck for the dinner portion.

I don’t want to pay a premium price and have to stand to get a decent view. I’m still wondering why it was ever a popular spot if it’s an obstructed view.

It is all a matter of person preference . In my opinion, if we had sat down on the lower patio we would have had a decent-prety good view of Illuminations. By standing, we had an amazing view of Illuminations. No obstruction, no masses of bodies crowding around us. No one coming in at the last minute to try and shove in front of us.. Not having to stand for who knows how long before the show to save our spot. A good meal leading up to it. Those are the things that made it worthwhile to us. And as an unintended bonus, quick access to the IG exit since we were staying at the Boardwalk. They let you stay until 9:30 (if Illuminations is at 9:00), by the time we left, the park was pretty much empty. So no fighting the crowds after the show is over.

I am still interested in this package and for now am keeping my reservations. Why? Well the perfect view isn't as important to us as a less crowded place to view Illuminations SITTING DOWN.
As I'm reading this, something even more important to us came to mind - having a less crowded place to wait for the start of Illuminations, SITTING DOWN. I've never minded standing to view the show - heck, how can you dance to the music at the end if you're sitting? - but staking out a viewing location 15-45 minutes prior and standing there doing nothing is hard on our patience, but even more so it is hard on our aged backs.

As I'm reading this, something even more important to us came to mind - having a less crowded place to wait for the start of Illuminations, SITTING DOWN. I've never minded standing to view the show - heck, how can you dance to the music at the end if you're sitting? - but staking out a viewing location 15-45 minutes prior and standing there doing nothing is hard on our patience, but even more so it is hard on our aged backs.

YES, this too!!!

It is all a matter of person preference . In my opinion, if we had sat down on the lower patio we would have had a decent-prety good view of Illuminations. By standing, we had an amazing view of Illuminations. No obstruction, no masses of bodies crowding around us. No one coming in at the last minute to try and shove in front of us.. Not having to stand for who knows how long before the show to save our spot. A good meal leading up to it. Those are the things that made it worthwhile to us. And as an unintended bonus, quick access to the IG exit since we were staying at the Boardwalk. They let you stay until 9:30 (if Illuminations is at 9:00), by the time we left, the park was pretty much empty. So no fighting the crowds after the show is over.
So, if you had been given a table on the lower level instead of the upper, do you think you could have stood at your table? And by standing were you in the way of the people sitting on the 2nd level at all? I would be ok with a lower level table if I could stand at my table for the show.

So, if you had been given a table on the lower level instead of the upper, do you think you could have stood at your table? And by standing were you in the way of the people sitting on the 2nd level at all? I would be ok with a lower level table if I could stand at my table for the show.

Assuming the lower patio was set up the way it would have been if we had been sitting down there, standing at the tables would have been no problem. The tables on the lower patio were round tables with four chairs and an umbrella. Those tables had much more space between them than the smaller rectangle tables crammed along the one side of the upper patio. I am 6'1" and when I was standing I do not think I came close to obstructing the view of anyone in the upper patio. By only allowing those who have the dining package to stand on the lower patio, there is plenty of space to stand, either near the railing closest to the water or by the back wall. Here is a link to a google image that shows the relationship of the upper and lower patios and the setup of the tables. https://goo.gl/images/rrfTzm

It is just preference. I do stand when just finding a spot, but for this amount of money, I want to sit. We always held back and left the park after closing. We love dancing out to the music! I went ahead and booked the dessert buffet. We weren’t terribly impressed with the desserts last time. But the view from our table was excellent.

I am surprised by the number of people looking to cancel this.

Well, we have this booked and I am delighted with the lower level. I have eaten there (and on the upper level) before and watched Illuminations from these tables and I frankly don't mind the hedge at all. we love sitting to watch and eating while we wait for the show. This will be our 'good bye' to Illuminations so it feels fitting that we will watch from our favourite venue (R&C) from a prime table, IMO. I am thrilled to pay the small premium to know that we will be seated in this area.

We have done the FEA dessert party as well, with mixed results. When you have to eat inside due to rain or cold weather, it is not nearly as nice as eating on the upper level patio of the Rose and Crown. Also, paying a premium for a meal sits better with me than paying all that money for desserts that I prefer not to eat.

We will give a review when we get back in a couple of weeks.....but I expect that we will love the experience. I looked at Josh's review and I really didn't see anything to deter my anticipation. Perhaps it is because we have eaten here before and loved it?

Well, we have this booked and I am delighted with the lower level. I have eaten there (and on the upper level) before and watched Illuminations from these tables and I frankly don't mind the hedge at all. we love sitting to watch and eating while we wait for the show. This will be our 'good bye' to Illuminations so it feels fitting that we will watch from our favourite venue (R&C) from a prime table, IMO. I am thrilled to pay the small premium to know that we will be seated in this area.

We have done the FEA dessert party as well, with mixed results. When you have to eat inside due to rain or cold weather, it is not nearly as nice as eating on the upper level patio of the Rose and Crown. Also, paying a premium for a meal sits better with me than paying all that money for desserts that I prefer not to eat.

We will give a review when we get back in a couple of weeks.....but I expect that we will love the experience. I looked at Josh's review and I really didn't see anything to deter my anticipation. Perhaps it is because we have eaten here before and loved it?

Sounds good we also did the FEA party on a night when we ended up in an indoor location I think called Show Place just past Canada than had to fight our way back over to the viewing area behind a CM holding a little flag. Then the wind blew the smoke and a ton of cinders right over at us...it was awful. Desserts were ok but best part was the ride afterwards and the empty park on the way out. Would not do this party again for sure. Thinking I’m keeping the Illuminations dinner....

I have it 2/16 FYI. I'll try to post pix. Any requests?

Yep I booked mainly to have somewhere to sit while waiting for it to start. To sit or stand during it? That's not an issue.

Thx for the posts people :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter