Ignorant Comments

Karen- I think your job as a travel agent is to let your client know about actual Disney sponsored events that take place. Like Rick said, if you're going to tell them about Gay Days then you'd also have to tell them about other non-Disney sponsored events. I can see why she would be upset if you hadn't told her about a Disney sponsored event like Star Wars weekend, MNSSHP, or MVMCP, but to expect you to tell her about a non-Disney sponsored event is ridiculous. I think if we warn people or tell them about the event as a pre-caution we are feeding into their misunderstanding.

ETA: I hope that didn't sound harsh at all, I was just trying to say I thought you were doing your job in a prof. way, and that she was out of line to get upset with you!

Point well taken. I do advise clients when I know of cheerleading contests but if I tried to keep up w/that, I'd be warning them about it every single month!! I also advise them of Spring Break Crowds, 4th of July crowds, Christmas crowds, hurricane season for cruises, etc.

Here's a funny. Again, several years ago one of the girls in the office I worked w/sold a client a package to Orlando w/tickets to Disney and US. Family came back, she called to make sure all went well on their trip. He said all was good except didn't like their hotel. She asked why.....because he didn't have an ocean view room!!!! TRUE STORY!!! :rotfl2:
COMPLAINED BECAUSE HE COULDN'T SEE THE OCEAN FROM ORLANDO!!!
:lmao: I said surely this is a joke ..... nope he was serious.

I LOVE MY JOB!!! :goodvibes

Karen

TN Traveler said:
Here's a funny. Again, several years ago one of the girls in the office I worked w/sold a client a package to Orlando w/tickets to Disney and US. Family came back, she called to make sure all went well on their trip. He said all was good except didn't like their hotel. She asked why.....because he didn't have an ocean view room!!!! TRUE STORY!!! :rotfl2:
COMPLAINED BECAUSE HE COULDN'T SEE THE OCEAN FROM ORLANDO!!!
:lmao: I said surely this is a joke ..... nope he was serious.

I LOVE MY JOB!!! :goodvibes

Karen

Hey Karen If I book with you I would only like the ocean view please ohhhh and make it close to epcot and oh yeah I want to go Christmas week but no crowds and I dont want to have to wait for busses could you arrange a disney bus to be standing by for me oooohhhh and I also need someone to carry my luggage for me , thats a drag. If I think of anything else could I have your home phone number in case i think of something at 4 am thanks :rotfl:

I think you're right to give your clients as much information as you have. I follow the same principle in my very tricky work with congregations, Precisely because there are so many competing interests, I hold myself to a higher level of transparency. Folk may not live up to my expectiations of their ability to process complex information, but I think it honors them that I expect them to.

TN Traveler said:
Ok, true stories here gang. First, I'm straight female, 3 kids, DH etc etc. I'm fairly open minded and try not to judge anyone for anything. So w/that being said, I hope I don't get flamed here.

I am a travel agent...have been for 11 yrs now. Leisure travel my speciality, cruises, Disney, vacation pkgs, honeymoons etc. About 7 or 8 yrs ago I guess, can't remember anyway, I was working in a store front agency. Had a client come in wanted to book a package for her family to Disney for the first week in June. DH, 2 small children and herself. Great, would love to do it. Got her a price, all was good she went and came back home TOTALLY TICKED OFF AT ME!!! :eek: She said "How dare you send me and my children to Disney when it's Gay Pride week." and continued to give me the riot act b/c I didnt' tell her it was Gay Day. Gez, lady, I'm sorry. :worried: I really didn't know (honestly I really didn't, hadn't thought a thing about it!). She just kept on blasting me to the moon! :scared: She told me she'd never book another vacation w/me b/c it was my responsibility to advise her of this event. So a group of us travel agents were at a trade show one night--including a friend of mine who is gay and in a commited relationship. I asked him how would he have handled that if the shoe had been on the other foot. He reassured me I did the right thing, let her blow her top, go else where etc. But I really felt bad about it. So as a travel agent, where do I draw the line? Do I tell my clients that typically the first Sat in June is Gay Day at Disney? Do I tell them that Key West (one of my FAVORITE destinations) has a gay community and they MAY see gay couples there? Do I tell them not to take their kids to Key West the last week in October b/c it's Fantasy Fest and all heck breaks loose down there? Do I tell my clients that you are very likely to see topless sun bathing on the beaches of Cancuin and in the Caribbean? So after much discussion w/other TAs and a few friends (both straight and gay) I have decided that it is my job to advise my clients of what is going on at the destination they have chosen to go to if I know about it.

So a couple weeks ago I'm walking down the hall at my church (Southern Baptist too!) and a friend stopped me and asked me if it was true that the first Sat in June is Gay Pride Day at Disney. I told her that yes, it was known as that but Disney doesn't advertise it. She said he husband was ready to cancel the reservation b/c he didn't want to be down there! I told her to go to a different Park that day if they would be uncomfortable, but don't cancel your trip. It's Disney for goodness sake!! pixiedust: I asked her who she booked her pkg w/(wasnt' me!). She said her SIL had booked it direct w/Disney and no one had told her that. She had heard it from a co-worker. I told her that I ALWAYS tell my clients now about it. She said she didnt' want her children exposed to that lifestyle!!! I said "Good Grief, "Sue" they're 17 and 12 yrs old don't you think they've seen or heard about it before now!!?!?!?" She admited her 17 yr old would be fine but didn't know about the 12 yr old. The conversation continued from there but I just couldn't believe how stupid some people can be!!! What was she expecting? To see a couple going at it in front of Dumbo's Ride? GIVE ME A BREAK!!!
Ok, so where was I going w/this? I guess just to please be patient w/some of the folks b/c they just don't know better.

It can be an iffy situation and I feel if I dont' tell my clients everything, then I'm failing in my job. I have had people change their vacation week so as not to be at Disney that week. I think it's stupid but it's happened. We went the first week of June w/our 3 girls (ages 12, 8 and 4 at the time) and never had a problem once. But then we did talk to our children and explained about different lifestyles and they were cool w/it. Thanks for letting me air this out. :worship:

Thanks again!!

Karen

Honestly here's what you can say, "Ma'am, unfortunately this event isn't Disney sponsered unlike events such as Night of Joy and the Candlelight Processional. You see, a lot of people who go to Disney just love to complain about the smallest and stupidest little things and want to make a fuss to get something for nothing. I've honestly been at the parks and seen and heard people going up to venfdors on the street and lying to them about how their son/daughter spilled his/her popcorn or ice cream and almost immediately they get a free one to replace. They honestly should be keeping more thorough tabs on things like this and people who just like to complain for the heck of it. But, getting back to the original topic this has been a long running problem with Disney ever since I worked there and it's never going to end. Guests will continue to say "I didn't know it was Gay Day today the Magic Kingdom and we are all(25 of them) wearing red shirts!", "Why can't you just refuse tickets to those kind of people?". It'll never ever end because of the ignorance of a lot of customers and their small minds. Also, a lot of people don't think that Disney sponsers 2 christian events per year but doesn't sponser anything else for anyone else, hmmmmmmm, wonder why!!! ;-)

Then, when me & DP first got together, it was so when are you getting the U-Haul? I was lost...I kept saying, we just started dating! And they would say, I know! Crazy dykes! :teeth: [/QUOTE]

LOL I have a t-shirt that has a generic u-haul truck on the front and says "2nd Date moving Company" on it! :rotfl2:

Also a running joke in our home.....

"I invited you over for the weekend, not the past 12 years!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter