If you had to send a BIG $$$ check to a PO box...

Papa Deuce

<font color="red">BBQ loving, fantasy football pla
You can't use UPS, I guess. So I guess you need to use the USPS.... but this is my final mortgage payment, and I should have done it online, but I had a check drawn up --- as they asked for a cashier's check --- but I am worried about if it gets lost somehow.

How do you do this as safely as possible?

I would pay the extra $4 or $5 and have the letter both registered and certified, which requires a signature. The post office will then mail back to you a slip with the person's signature, verifying delivery of the letter/check.

You can also do the 2-3 day Priority Mail thing and pay for delivery confirmation or the $18.50 (or whatever) for overnight delivery. The overnight/Express Mail automatically gives you a tracking number that you can either go online or phone the 800 number and verify delivery.

You can't use UPS, I guess. So I guess you need to use the USPS.... but this is my final mortgage payment, and I should have done it online, but I had a check drawn up --- as they asked for a cashier's check --- but I am worried about if it gets lost somehow.

How do you do this as safely as possible?

See if they'll take a wire transfer. The bank will charge a fee for this but it may be worth it.

Oops, just saw you have a check. Take it back to the bank and explain it to them. They'll fix it.

I would pay the extra $4 or $5 and have the letter both registered and certified, which requires a signature. The post office will then mail back to you a slip with the person's signature, verifying delivery of the letter/check.

You can also do the 2-3 day Priority Mail thing and pay for delivery confirmation or the $18.50 (or whatever) for overnight delivery. The overnight/Express Mail automatically gives you a tracking number that you can either go online or phone the 800 number and verify delivery.

That works, if sent to a PO box?

I wouldn't send it to a PO Box.

I'd call the company and ask for the physical address that they can accept certified mail at.

I wouldn't send it to a PO Box.

I'd call the company and ask for the physical address that they can accept certified mail at.

Certified mail can be accepted at a PO box. When a person collects the mail from the PO box, they will receive a card which states they have to come to the window and sign for the certified letter.

We do not have mail delivery at my house, and I have a PO box.

Denae

send it to the po box, certified, return receipt requested. you can also get delivery confirmation, so you can check on line or via phone when the letter was signed for.

Certified mail can be accepted at a PO box. When a person collects the mail from the PO box, they will receive a card which states they have to come to the window and sign for the certified letter.

We do not have mail delivery at my house, and I have a PO box.

Denae

Really? Didn't know that. Even if this is a lockbox? I'm sure it would be since it is a mortgage company.

yes, but most of those PO Boxes for Mortgage Companies are just payment lockbox addresses.

I wouldn't send a large final check for a mortgage there.

yes, but most of those PO Boxes for Mortgage Companies are just payment lockbox addresses.

I didn't want to... they requested it, and I was dumb enough not to question it. :eek:

A lockbox is something that the bank would pick up and process for you. I would think that if the bank picked it up at the Post Office and the mail was sent certified, then the bank would have to sign for it.

I guess I would call the mortgage company and ask them how you should handle it.

Denae

no suggestion here......but CONGRATS on owning your home!!!!:thumbsup2

That works, if sent to a PO box?

Yes, I have all of my business mail sent to a PO Box and I get a pink or yellow slip in the box that I then take to the desk. I sign the slip and get my certifieds/express/packages, etc.

Yes, I have all of my business mail sent to a PO Box and I get a pink or yellow slip in the box that I then take to the desk. I sign the slip and get my certifieds/express/packages, etc.

Thank you.

Thanks! It does feel nice, or will, as soon as I know they get my final payment! :goodvibes

As a loan officer it's gladdening to see someone pay one off, the usual "Homeowner" refi's every two years.

BTW, you cannot do registered and certified on the same piece.;)
However, the safest way to mail anything is by registered mail with return receipt. You get the safety of it being under lock and key and the fact that anyone who touches it has to sign for it. Also with the return receipt, you also have the signature of the company who signed for it.
You could send it certified with the return receipt and still have the tracking number and the return card, however it is not signed for until delivery and travels through the regular mail stream.
Hope this helps.
Oh, and Congratulations on the end of the loan!:)
Kim

I'd deposit the cashiers check back into my account and do it online OR ask the mortgage company for a more secure place to send a cashiers check rather than a PO Box. I would never send a large cashier's check through the mail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter