If you don't pay off your previous annual pass can you buy a new one?

fairytalelover

DIS Veteran
Ok so we have had annual passes to Disneyland for years and always pay it in one lump sum when we purchase or have done the monthly installment for a few months then paid it off in full when we got a lump of extra money. But my sister in law did the monthly plan last year and half way through her husband lost his job so they couldnt afford to pay the rest of the monthly installments and they didnt go to disneyland either. So the passes were not used. Now they are back on their feet this year and want to buy another annual pass but have over $800 due on the last annual pass they didnt use. They want to know that if they buy the pass will they be made to pay off the previous one. If they are then they wont be able to afford to buy a new annual pass too. I didnt know the answer to this since we have thankfully never been in that situation. The pass was under her name so I told her maybe if you get it under your husband's name then you wont have to pay the balance due. But again I'm not sure about that either. I told her to just call Disney and ask them directly. That would be the best way to work it out with them and maybe Disney can help them with the payments and to get a new pass. What do you guys think?

They take money from your bank account for those allowed to pay monthly. How did that work? Did they close the account to stop Disney from taking the money?

They owe the money. They need to pay that money if, in fact, Disney was unable to take the money from their account. I'm surprised they aren't hearing from collections agencies.

I'm fairly positive they'll need to pay off their delinquent passes before being allowed to purchase new ones.

yeah that's what I figured and that was my reccomendation as well. I just thought it was best to call them and discuss it directly. I think Disney would help them to work it all out. I dont know about the bank account thing for them. they didnt give me that kind of detail and I didnt want to ask personal questions about their bank account.

Why would they expect to buy a new pass when they haven't paid for the one they already "bought"? If they cannot afford the bills they already have, they shouldn't be buying more.
yup i agree and that's what I told them. it's just easier to pay it off and not have to worry about it.

yeah that's what I figured and that was my reccomendation as well. I just thought it was best to call them and discuss it directly. I think Disney would help them to work it all out. I dont know about the bank account thing for them. they didnt give me that kind of detail and I didnt want to ask personal questions about their bank account.

Disney will help them work it out alright. They will gather all the information about them that will help Disney collect a debt. I'm surprised that this hasn't been already garnished/collected.

It really is okay to not do Disney, especially if it will exacerbate financial woes. If it were me, I wouldn't be bragging about my fine times at Disney; I would and let them get things settled. Why not a ticket here-and-there rather than an annual pass?

Disney will help them work it out alright. They will gather all the information about them that will help Disney collect a debt. I'm surprised that this hasn't been already garnished/collected.

It really is okay to not do Disney, especially if it will exacerbate financial woes. If it were me, I wouldn't be bragging about my fine times at Disney; I would and let them get things settled. Why not a ticket here-and-there rather than an annual pass?
I still think it's best to call them directly and fix it one way or the other. It's best to deal head on in my opinion, I already gave her the phone number and said just call. Worse comes to worse, you pay it off and move on from there. Im sure they are not the first ones in this situation.

One year, our due date had come up to pay off our upcoming WDW trip but we wouldnt have the money for another 3 weeks. I called WDW and told them the situation and they very nicely extended the due date and we paid it off in 3 weeks as promised. Easy peasy. I have found that Disney is really good about working with you. I know it's not that same as owing money on a previous pass but same concept of it's best to contact them cuz they tend to want to help you.

Ok so we have had annual passes to Disneyland for years and always pay it in one lump sum when we purchase or have done the monthly installment for a few months then paid it off in full when we got a lump of extra money. But my sister in law did the monthly plan last year and half way through her husband lost his job so they couldnt afford to pay the rest of the monthly installments and they didnt go to disneyland either. So the passes were not used. Now they are back on their feet this year and want to buy another annual pass but have over $800 due on the last annual pass they didnt use. They want to know that if they buy the pass will they be made to pay off the previous one. If they are then they wont be able to afford to buy a new annual pass too. I didnt know the answer to this since we have thankfully never been in that situation. The pass was under her name so I told her maybe if you get it under your husband's name then you wont have to pay the balance due. But again I'm not sure about that either. I told her to just call Disney and ask them directly. That would be the best way to work it out with them and maybe Disney can help them with the payments and to get a new pass. What do you guys think?
I'm a little confused. You say that your SIL purchased an AP but never used it. Did she have an actual AP or just a voucher?

If she only has a voucher that she stopped paying for, perhaps she can see if Disneyland will allow her to exchange the unused (and not entirely paid-for) voucher for a credit toward the purchase of a new AP.

If she has an actual AP, then it would be because she got it at the park, in which case I would wonder why she would make the purchase and then walk away without ever using it? Consider that a rhetorical question, as I'm sure that you have no answer to it.

I know that you're encouraging your SIL to call Disneyland to get a definitive answer, but this also makes me wonder why she didn't contact them when she made the decision to stop paying for the AP? Certainly, the folks at Disneyland would have been able to see that the AP was never used and perhaps they could have helped her work something out then. Again, that's a rhetorical question that needs no response because I'm sure that you don't know why she waited this long to try to set things right.

Way I read it is the SIL bought AP's for DL and was on payment plan, at some point during year crap hit fan and hubs lost job so there for they couldn't finishing paying for AP's that they had bought/used. they didn't go to DL anymore after job loss but now life is back on track and they are ready to start going to DL again. I believe they would have to pay off debt before they could do payment plan again.

It is for circumstances like these that Disney only offers the AP payment plan for Disneyland APs for guests who live in California or WDW APs for guests who live in Florida.

It is quite cost prohibitive to collect unpaid debt from out-of-state guests.

One year, our due date had come up to pay off our upcoming WDW trip but we wouldnt have the money for another 3 weeks. I called WDW and told them the situation and they very nicely extended the due date and we paid it off in 3 weeks as promised. Easy peasy. I have found that Disney is really good about working with you. I know it's not that same as owing money on a previous pass but same concept of it's best to contact them cuz they tend to want to help you.

Rather different situation though.

It is for circumstances like these that Disney only offers the AP payment plan for Disneyland APs for guests who live in California or WDW APs for guests who live in Florida.

It is quite cost prohibitive to collect unpaid debt from out-of-state guests.

Exactly.

But I'm just mystified. They would have had to close that account to keep Disneyland from taking the monthly payments from it. That's a purposeful action and makes it impossible to say that Disney will help them in any way.

It is possible, I think, that if they were never used at all, even though they did enter into an agreement concerning paying for it, it seems that if the reason is legitimate, then a credit might be applied, but, I'm sure that they will not be given a payment plan. It would be credit plus cash, end of story. Even though I understand that they agreed to pay for it, they never really used it and Disney got money for services that they never really provided. Worth a shot, I would think, but, I also wouldn't be overly hopeful of a good outcome, just possible. Even if they had something other then the voucher, Disney knows when it has been used (or not).

One of the reasons why they were able to stop the payment might just be because the talked to Disney and told them the situation and Disney stopped taking it. Again, just a possibility, but, I have found that there is usually more to the story.

I have a thought but may be totally off. If hooked to bank account and there is no money in bank account after he left job, Disney could not collect because there was no money in the account. If they left no money in the account for a few weeks, or months than Disney would give up trying to pull it out. And Disney can only pull it out once a month, not wait until there is money and try to pull it all out at once. Also if hooked to debit card if debit was changed over then Disney could not pull it out. I know I do this every year with my debit card, around dec 15 I ask the bank to give me a new card, with the same number or a different number but either way the code on back is different. Every year I try to tell all the people who pull out of my account but it never fails I miss one.

It could be innocent like that. But it seems they live pay check to paycheck and he lost his job. Now that he has a new one, yes he needs to pay the old bill and then when he can afford it pay for new pas, but Disney probably will never let you do a payment plan, just like if you did not pay your mortgage you probably won't get a new mortgage any time soon thru a bank. And I agree if you can't pay don't go. We do military a lot but every few years we go with a Disney package, either way we pay in cash up front and never put anything on credit, so we know what we can afford and pay it.

but Disney probably will never let you do a payment plan

Especially given how the FIRST payment plan they allowed worked out.

If they truly NEVER used those APs, I still don't see how it makes any difference. I mean, they *could have*. If they never used them at all and couldn't pay for them, why not call DL the first or second month they realized this? But I doubt they were never used.

No one knows what will happen until they contact Disney directly.

For example, one year I had renewed my WDW AP at DTD prior to my expiration date. The following year, I went back to do the same, and when they brought it up in their computer system, they were surprised to see that I hadn't used the AP at all during the year (I hadn't realized it either, but I had changed jobs which messed with my vacations, and had other personal issues come up). So they offered (without my asking) to apply that as a one time credit toward the next pass. They were clear that it was a "one time thing", but it was appreciated. I don't know if it helped that I had been an AP holder for several years at that point or not.

I would call with the expectation that I would have to pay what was owed, and be open to whatever solution Disney feels is appropriate.

No one knows what will happen until they contact Disney directly.

For example, one year I had renewed my WDW AP at DTD prior to my expiration date. The following year, I went back to do the same, and when they brought it up in their computer system, they were surprised to see that I hadn't used the AP at all during the year (I hadn't realized it either, but I had changed jobs which messed with my vacations, and had other personal issues come up). So they offered (without my asking) to apply that as a one time credit toward the next pass. They were clear that it was a "one time thing", but it was appreciated. I don't know if it helped that I had been an AP holder for several years at that point or not.

I would call with the expectation that I would have to pay what was owed, and be open to whatever solution Disney feels is appropriate.

My father had a similar experience.

However, my dad's case (as was yours) was concerning an AP that was paid for, but not used.
The OP's case does not seem to fit this scenario.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter