If you could, would you leave 1 year old home?

we are taking all our kids. are kids will be 6 1/2, 5, 3 and 2 on our trip. i couldnt even think about leaving one of them home while we go have fun. i would be thinking oh so and so would have loved this. next year me and DH are going on a cruise. but thats adults only. :) we are going to Europe. that is a trip that the kids i think would rather stay home and play video games and their toys lol!

Holy geez! I can't believe how many responses. I know you did ask but man are some people on here awfully holier than thou.

Personally, I think you have to read your own situation. We left our one year old for 3 nights 4 days and she didn't miss us a single bit (she's 3 now). When we came back she didn't even come see us, she just gave me a small smile and then went back to playing.

I think everyone's situation is different. I would love, love, love to leave my now 1yo but we are going 8 days and I'm worried that's too long (for the care takers not for her). Her temperment is different that my first child's was. Also, no one has offered :)

We did take our first at 4 mo and that wasn't too bad - but 1 that's a different story. My first at 1 wanted to be walking non-stop and was very schedule oriented. I can't imagine her liking Disney at all. I don't think it would have been fair to her either. She would have been much more content to be home and have her toys and her bed, etc. It many ways it would be selfish to have taken her since it would have been for me to see it anyways. I also recall someone else posting on here about taking their one year old and I believe they had to drive home on their 1st or 2nd day.

Maybe one way you can test it would be to have her stay with them for an extended weekend some other time and take her to an amusement park type setting and see how she enjoys it. Sorry if it was a boy...I seemed to have forgotten that detail.

Good luck :) :) :)

I would have no problem leaving my 1 year old at home in your circumstances. But I also see nothing wrong with having adults only trips either. I have been surprised by some of the comments and the insinuation that if you leave your child that you may not 'love' your child as much as someone else.

My husband and I are very, very lucky to have strong family members willing to take our small children for days at a time. We usually go abroad at least once a year without the kids and have several weekends a way. My children have never had any issues - in fact they are amazing with babysitters. They were estatic last night when a sitter came over for an hour so I could go workout (my husband travels out-of-town 90% of the time).

We are taking our 2 and 4 year old for the first time to WDW next month. Of course, we are also having an adult quick getaway the weekend before. :)

I left my 2 year old home to take my 5 year old to Disney. But I left DH home with her...it was a mommy/daughter trip. :-) If he'd been joining as for a family vacation, the little one would have come as well. But that's me, and my family. I wouldn't think twice about anyone who chose to leave any of their kids home with the grandparents or another trusted adult; as long as you're ok with the decision and its' consequences then you do what works best for your family.

I wouldn't leave one child home if I was taking other kids, unless the other parent was staying home too.

When Dh and I went for 2 nights to celebrate our anniversary, yes, we left DD home with her grandparents. She was a little over a year old at the time.

I would not leave one child at home. It would be more work but being there as a family is worth it. Last year we took our DS who was a week away from being 2 and he has so much fun. Now if DH and I want to go away for the weekend I would leave both kids with their grandparents but our family vacations are for all the kids, not just half of them, IMHO.

No way. What do you tell the kid in a few years if they are looking at pictures and the kid says "Mommy, where was I?" We didn't want to take you honey!

No. I would never leave one of my kids home. Your 5 and 7 year olds will appreciate having the little one there because you can do the child swap and that allows them to ride all the big ticket rides twice (once with each parent). I don't think you will ever regret bringing the baby, but you might regret not bringing the baby.

No way. What do you tell the kid in a few years if they are looking at pictures and the kid says "Mommy, where was I?" We didn't want to take you honey!

"You were an infant and we took a trip for the big kids. But see here? This is you and mommy at Disney last year without your siblings because they're off at college."

We have left our daughter at home while we went to Disney and other places for vacation. It just worked for us and for her and the grandparents. Everyone was happy. Was it hard to leave her... yes. Did I feel a bit guilty...yes. Was it bad enough that I wouldn't do it again...no. So take it from a total stranger, go and have fun with your two older kiddo's. The grandparents and your 1 year old will have a blast together. It will be like a vacation for them too.

For Disney, for us, no. We go every other year, and it is a big deal. We splurge on a deluxe resort, spend a week or so etc. I plan it to be a memorable family event. All three of our children have been to WDW at around a year old and it was wonderful. My oldest freaked at the fireworks (so no fireworks, no biggie) my middle freaked at the characters (we took her aside when DS was doing meet and greets) and my youngest wanted nothing but "its a small world" over and over and over and over (we rode it a billion times!:rotfl2:) I (and the rest of our family) have amazing memories of these trips. Ilove looking at the pictures and the kids do too! Even though I know they don't "remember" them they talk about the trips like they do. They have become exactly what I wanted- special family trips and amazing childhood memories. I treasure these memories, because you just never know - things can happen and change so quickly. I would hate to leave one of my children behind and then due to circumstances or whatever have missed out on that opportunity with them.
Anyway, just my thoughts, but everyone needs to do what works for them and their family. :)

My mom has offered to watch our 14 month old for the week when we go to Disney. We have 5 and 7 year old boys. We'll go to all the parks with a break day in the middle of the week. Our plan is to come back to the resort for naps each afternoon. What would you do?

I like having our family all together. It's fun!! Our third is due in July and we're all going to WDW together in November. I seriously would feel like a part of me were missing if we did a family vacation without one of our kids.

My mom has offered to watch our 14 month old for the week when we go to Disney. We have 5 and 7 year old boys. We'll go to all the parks with a break day in the middle of the week. Our plan is to come back to the resort for naps each afternoon. What would you do?

I debated this myself when we went when older DS was 5 and my now middle DS was 19 months. My mom had also offered to watch younger DS. We ended up flying my mom down for a few days in the middle of our vacation to watch him. And she got a bit of a get-away too. We bought her a 2 day ticket to Disney and she came with us to Epcot and AK and helped watch our one year old while we went on rides together. On the 3rd day she came to DTD with us and then at night she baby sat both kids so DH and I could go out for the night. It cost more but to us it was worth it. She was there 3 days on a total 8 day vacation so we still got plenty of alone family time.

In the end I'm glad we brought our younger DS. His little face just lit up when he met the characters and we have some priceless memories. Also I was very suprised how many rides he could ride with us and how easy the parent swap was. Honestly my 5 year old created way more drama (he was scared of the dark and hence almost every ride at MK).

BUT, I don't think there is anything wrong with leaving your 1 year old at home either. Do what is best for your family. If your youngest is thrown off their schedule easily, then leaving them with your mom may be the best way to go. Plus I'm sure your mom would LOVE a week w/ her grandbaby :)

Who really cares! Oldest is 9 and youngest is 3, I know how special it is to our 9 year old when we focus on her for the day, older siblings work hard at helping out and often feel like the little one gets all the attention because they need more. If spending individual time with them is what you wanna do more power to you. I'm sure you will go again as a family when te little is older. To the poster who said... What about when the little one says where was I, " we didn't wanna take you"... I say get real maybe we baby our kids and we aren't real enough to them, believe me they will get over it, they won't need years of counseling for it....

NEVER. Family vacations are for families, I don't believe in leaving one of my children out because "they will be more work then the others", that is what having children is about.

Agree! Our dd was 15 months when we went and had an amazing time.

When we took our kids for the first time, my DD was 15 months old. And she loved it! Even though she was so small she recognized everything and to this day (she's now 3 1/2)...remembers EVERYTHING!! She constantly looks at pictures and watches our videos and remembers basically the whole trip. She would nap in the stroller almost everyday and would let her out to walk when we felt comfortable doing so. My YDS will be almost 15 months when we go at the end of April and I wouldn't think of going without him!!

I would not leave my kids at home. Wherever we go, we want them with us. We do everything as a family. We took my 4. Yo. and my 15 mo. old. last year. My 15 mo. old LOVED it!! He adored the characters and loved the rides! We took a break every day around lunch, took naps and went back after dinner. It was great.
And I have to be honest with you, my youngest was better on the ride there and back and better behaved than my 4 year old!!!!

I know not everyone feels the same, as relatives of mine leave their youngest home (of 3 kids) most times they travel. In the end, it's what works best for you and your family. Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter