If You Could Only Pick One Restaurant

LarryBoy

Mouseketeer
My wife and I are going in late January for a long weekend trip and it will be the first time we've ever gone just the two of us. We've both been separately many times and together with her family. On her past trips she has almost never done table service and I have always been a big fan of WDW table service restaurants. We are only there for three days with a park hopper so we probably will mostly eat in the parks but I really want to convince her that we need at least one good Disney sit down meal, probably dinner or late lunch in a park. If you could only pick one WDW restaurant for such an occasion as this which one would you choose? Where would you take your significant other who has never really done WDW sit down dining if you could only pick one place? I mean do I go for the best meal? Do I pick the one that feels the most Disney? I'm so torn, HELP!! Seriously how do I pick just one? Which one would you choose?

:thanks: :disrocks:

Last edited:
My wife and I are going in late January for a long weekend trip and it will be the first time we've ever gone just the two of us. We've both been separately many times and together with her family. On her past trips she has almost never done table service and I have always been a big fan of WDW table service restaurants. We are only there for three days with a park hopper so we probably will mostly eat in the parks but I really want to convince her that we need at least one good Disney sit down meal, probably dinner or late lunch in a park. If you could only pick one WDW restaurant for such an occasion as this which one would you choose? Where would you take your significant other who has never really done WDW sit down dining if you could only pick one place?

:thanks: :disrocks:

Do you want atmosphere or good food?
For good food, I love The Hollywood Brown Derby in HS
Atmosphere ( but really good food too) you could purchase the Rose and Crown dining package and watch Harmonious in EPCOT.
For me, MK doesn't have any great restaurants, but as you know food is subjective,
Animal Kingdom, Yak & Yeti is very good.

Here are our favorites in each park:

MK - Be our Guest or Tony’s. We are trying the AYCTE at LTT next trip.
Epcot - Le Cellier, Chefs de France, Tutto Italia, and Coral Reef. We are trying Space220 next trip.
DHS - Hollywood Brown Derby and 50’s Prime Time Cafe.
AK - Rainforest Cafe lunch.
AKL - dinner at Boma.

My DH has said that table service restaurants are too $$ and not always that good. But there have been a few that have been keepers. So if I could only pick one, I'd say Cinderella's Royal Table or Sci-Fi. Those are both pretty hard to get, so backup would be Hollywood Brown Derby or Sanaa

In Disney Springs: Homecomin
In a resort: Trattoria Al Forno in Boardwalk
DHS: Mama Melrose’s
EPCOT: it’s hard choosing just one but for now Le Cellier is my fave
AK: Nomad
MK: CRT breakfast/ Skipper Canteen lunch and dinner

Epcot has plenty of good selections - I'd base that more on whether there's a type of food she prefers - if she's a fan of French, Mexican, Italian, etc., let that guide the choice. I tend to like San Angel Inn, Hacienda de San Angel, Le Cellier, Monsieur Paul...and stepping out of the International Gateway you can add the Epcot area resorts.
DHS I think tends to have more choices that are about the theming, and not as much about great food...Brown Derby is probably the best for food quality...but there are lots of good resort choices you can get to from there (walking or boating to Boardwalk, Swan, Dolphin, Beach, or Yacht, Skyliner to Riviera or Caribbean Beach).
MK is similar to DHS - more about theme than excellence of food. Liberty Tree and Tony's can be enjoyed, but the food quality is average with good theming...I like Liberty Tree for the theming and plentiful food, mostly eating there in winter months when it feels more appropriate around holidays. But the monorail resorts provide lots of additional choices a quick ride away, at Contemporary, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian, plus Wilderness Lodge by boat. I like the look of Steakhouse 71, and look forward to trying it.
Animal Kingdom - Tusker House is not bad, but family style with characters, so not necessarily the choice for a romantic dinner for two. I like Tiffin's a lot - the menu varies often and the food is very high quality, it's a little pricey, but beautiful theming inside and a premium restaurant feel - plus a great bar attached...so when I want a good meal, that's usually my choice for AK. I always loved Jiko for the first decade or so over at AK Lodge, though I was less pleased with the menu changes and chef changes lately and it's fallen off my list of top choices.

MK ~ go to a resort. Haven't been but Steakhouse 71 sounds like it is a winner.
Epcot ~ Le Cellier, Chefs de France or preferably Monsieur Paul (if it is open)
HS ~ Brown Derby or Skyliner/Epcot resort Topolino's at Riviera or Flying Fish at BWI (if it is open)
AK ~ Tiffins

We went to Disney a few times as a kid and twice when Dh and I married.

We didn’t start going to TS meals until I was about 30 and could finally plan and pay for my own trips.

Sci Fi and CRT are two that are Disney experiences that were on the top of my list.
50’s Prime Time was another I always wanted to try since it is mentioned a lot and pretty unique to Disney.

Epcot is tough since there are so many choices. I would look over menus and see what looks good.

I always love Ohana dinner and it used to be a must do if going with a first timer to Disney TS but I haven’t been post changes.

I would say LeCellier, San Angel Inn, or Chefs de France in Epcot, depending on preferences. All have good food and good atmosphere. I would do Hollywood Brown Derby in HS. For a little more upscale outside the parks, I would consider California Grill at Contemporary, Jiko at AKL (if open by then), or Yachtsman Steakhouse at the Yacht Club.

Hello We are leaving for our trip to WDW tomorrow - Yeah ! While in the past Ohana was our absolute favorite, it has really gone downhill and we will not go again. We are ding full service in : Sci Fi -HS, Be Our Guest - MK - this restaurant is magical and captures the Disney feeling that you are immersed in a fairy tale. Art Smith Homecomin - DS, Beaches and Cream on a non - park day, Saana on Animal Kingdom Day, but Boma is great also, both at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Both are easy to get to after a day at the Animal Kingdom. We will also blast off to Space 220 for lounge seating.

One - Be Our Guest - where it snows inside and you get to see a Beast

MK: I'm not sure, I really haven't by thrilled by anything in the park yet. Skipper Canteen is on my list for this next trip.
Epcot: I'd pick based on cuisine. I like Le Cellier, but it is pretty cramped.
DHS: I do enjoy 50s Primetime.
AK: Tiffins

Wow, you’ve gotten a lot of great information.

I’ll answer the question as asked. If I could only choose one I’d choose Narcoossees.

No, it’s not in a park. However, it is easy to get from the MK to the GF (walk, monorail, or boat), and a respite from the MK to see the GF is always worthwhile. While you have gotten lots of great recommendations, for this you want something romantic and memorable. Narcoossees is intimate, the location is special, and the food is excellent.

If you really want to stick to in-park go Le Cellier or Brown Derby. I easily could have chosen either of those as the one.

Boma.

Ohana and Boma are our family’s must do’s (Boma is 1st; Ohana 2nd). I don’t think we’ve ever had a less than stellar experience there. Ohana has failed us a couple of times (steak smelled like gasoline, hard and dry) but we love the unlimited shrimp, bread pudding, atmosphere. Even the steak at Topolinos was very chewy this past June (we went twice) and Be our Guest was a cut with your fork (unexpected) good. Be our Guest has good food and atmosphere (request ballroom) but it is loud. We’ve been to CRT many times, but BOG beats it on all levels (service, food and atmosphere). If you can’t get BOG, CRT is acceptable.

If you’re willing to travel then the recommendations above are good as well, although we never tried Narcoosees (seemed too cramped) even when we stayed at the Grand. If you could get Space220 the menu looks good to us. I’d watch some reviews online and decide based on food preference. Oga’s atmosphere (drinks are too sweet but adventurous) makes it on our list as well. Jiko (AKL) has been recommended but without kids. The food at Flying Fish was excellent (their soup had a earthen flavor much like the butternut squash soup at BOMA) and the atmosphere is upscale but cramped.

We go for atmosphere - unique and something you can’t find anywhere else, that’s what settles it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter