If you could change one thing about DCL, what would it be?

(Your post does not seem confrontational, as usual. I was hoping mine didn’t either, but sometimes can’t tell.)
No - not at all. I always enjoy your posts and was just continuing the discussion.

I like the idea of just putting it in the cruise fare and paying a decent base wage with it. Then we can add extra if we have the means and inclination to do so. It would be great if cruise lines just all did that, so nobody is harmed from a competitive standpoint. Otherwise, Disney would have to market the point pretty heavily when listing fares. It might be nice to see some consumer protection laws that make it standard to include tips and other fees when listing a fare, that way consumers can easily compare apples to apples.

Are you are saying they only make tips? Everything I have read and been told by servers is that there is a small base wage, plus tips.

Also - isn't it pretty well known that most of the pay is based on the tips? It seems implied given they have a set amount, per day, per person. It would seem odd to me for DCL to say, "we barely [or don't] pay our employees, so make sure you tip," or something like that. I think their current system of saying what we should tip does the job.

I any case, people should tip generously where possible. The people providing the service on DCL work ridiculously long hours to make our cruises enjoyable and deserve it.
I don’t know how to verify that they get a wage or not, and I was not told this by wait staff or room attendant. It was someone I know personally. I had always heard it was a very small base wage, but was told I was mistaken.

I am sorry if this is wrong. I will keep trying to find out.

Last edited:
Easy entry pools. I get it takes space. but other cruise lines have them... the elderly and obese will be grateful as using a ladder is often prohibted.. My mom loves to swiim but at 72 doesnt have the arm strength and coordination anymore to use a pull up ladder.
On our recent cruise, guest services arranged to have the HA chair set up for me. It was great to have access to the adult pool. I have only two good muscles in a shoulder and do not have the strength to pull myself up. My accident was a year ago, and I am learning how to cope.

Last edited:

Just an idea, but have you tried the second seating at 8:15 for dinner? Less kiddos and much quieter and more leisurely dinner. :chat:
My kids (and we) can’t stay awake that late. That’s actually why I wish the buffet was available for dinner. I’d like the option of eating dinner earlier. Our kids wake up (and wake us up) at dawn.

My preference, and what I often heard said, would be to roll gratuities into the cruise fare. Additional gratuities given just as they are currently. I still assume there is some financial impediment to this. Or maybe it’s just to make cruise fares appear lower.
Our first cruise on HAL in 2002 that was what they did. Their motto was along the lines that "tipping is not required or expected ".
I suspect it went away at the request of passengers who wanted to reward staff who provided them service. Not sure how automatic tipping came about other than I suspect too many passengers weren't tipping even if they got excellent service and to make sure the behind the scenes staff you never see get a gratuity.

My kids (and we) can’t stay awake that late. That’s actually why I wish the buffet was available for dinner. I’d like the option of eating dinner earlier. Our kids wake up (and wake us up) at dawn.
This gave me an idea for a wish list item—I wish you could filter cruises on the website to show which ones have main dining available, and have it be “real” availability without so much of main dining held back for waitlist. My work schedule rarely let’s me plan a vacation a year ahead and it would be nice to be able to plan and book cruises that have main dining. I am a little over a month out from my next sailing and check the app to see if my early dining waitlist came through multiple times a day.

DCL likes to have everyone in the MDR for the experience. We have always been late eaters. It's the nature of our jobs. It was never a problem for us when our kids were little. I totally get that's not everyone's routine. They should offer an option if you can't get early dining.

Were cruising on RCCL in Europe this Summer. I'm looking forward to not being tied to the MDR.

There are cruise lines that do include gratuity in the cruise fare. For example both of the German market lines (Aida, a Carnival subsidiary, and Mein Schiff, owned by RC). However I do think a not so small amount of passengers love the tips as they feel like it gives them power to demand good service.

Did you end up with two huge duvets or two small (“German size” ones? Would live to know since I am German and the one big duvet drives me crazy, too!
I got the large duvet for myself and then my husband got also like a large “duvet”. It wasn’t a true duvet like mine., but it was basically how the bedding is at Walt Disney World. So no, it was not 2 German duvets. I’m so glad I said something because my husband would had been miserable the entire cruise. He hates the one blanket for teo. As an American, I quickly learned having to two full size ( 155x220) duvets it’s the best thing in the world. I like being able to stick my feet out of both sides

I don’t understand what the issue is with the gratuity with DCL it is basically as part of the Cruise fare 🤷‍♀️ The only difference is one has the option to pay on board and if you really want to, you can have them removed. I booked through a travel agency where I actually had to pay the DXL gratuity at the same time I paid the fare ( it was an industry thing). All cruise lines are basically the same where gratuity or service however, you want to call it is an additional cost on top of the Cruise fare like port fees. Disney is different is there’s so much pressure to pay an additional gratuity ON TOP of the service fee/gratuity, which is per person per day.

A good example is Msc Cruises. If you order a drink or go to the spa services, you will find that gratuity is automatically added I believe it was 15% on my last cruise. There was no additional line to add more on top. That’s what I loved about sailing with them. And Cruise workers also get paid in addition to their “gratuity or service fee. They get free room and board and a small base salary.

For me, it's the dining situation. My number one request would be to get rid of the shared tables. But I'd also love it if they had some decent alternative to the rotational dining rooms that doesn't cost extra. Either keep the buffet open for dinner or offer an anytime TS alternative (or both). It's vacation. Sometimes we don't want to deal with the whole MDR rigamarole but also don't want to be stuck with the pool deck food or room service which have never been very good IMHO.

I am intrigued by NCL's new food hall offering on their new Prima ship. They have various food stations where you can go up and just ask for something (similar to a buffet or cafeteria), or you can sit at a table in the middle, order off of an ipad from however many stations you want and the food is delivered to your table. And almost everything is included in the cruise fare. We haven't sailed on Prima yet, but that sounds like a great concept and I've seen a lot of positive reviews on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter