• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If they brought back 100% borrowing, what would you do differently?

It made sense to move points forward and not backward.

Yea that's my point as well. Seems odd they would care if during the pandemic in 2020 (and so far in 2021 actually) somebody wanted to visit and borrow 2021 (or now 2022) points into that year. Every point brought in early would be fewer needed to use later when travel picks back up. Instead they chose to limit that from happening?

Yea that's my point as well. Seems odd they would care if during the pandemic in 2020 (and so far in 2021 actually) somebody wanted to visit and borrow 2021 (or now 2022) points into that year. Every point brought in early would be fewer needed to use later when travel picks back up. Instead they chose to limit that from happening?

Except they lost a lot of rooms during the closure. So they already had too many points without borrowing.

I think if they could have found a way to allow it for last minute trips without it becoming a loophole, it might have worked.

It would only affect one of our contracts as we bought it to use every 3 years, our Aulani points, because we could only borrow half cut the number of days we are staying for our trip in December, we bought the number of points we did to bank and borrow the full amounts for how long we wanted to stay there every 3 years. With our other contracts it doesn't really affect us, as if we borrow it's only a couple points to complete our reservations.

Except they lost a lot of rooms during the closure. So they already had too many points without borrowing.

I think if they could have found a way to allow it for last minute trips without it becoming a loophole, it might have worked.

Yea I don't have the numbers, but they did indeed loose those 3 months correct? Otherwise I think they were completely open since last July was it?

As others mentioned, what is happening with Canada and other International owners? Maybe renting them out?

I have 150 Sep OKW pts, 220 Oct OKW pts, and 220 Feb AUL pts. The plan was to use banking/borrowing to make a nice, neat 3 year cycle. WDW, WDW, AUL… rinse & repeat.

We were at WDW two weeks before the closure, then ended up canceling our late May Aulani trip. With 4 trips to WDW since reopening (one with extended family) we’ve burned through a lot of points. Have ressies for AUL in February on shorter trip with smaller room and cheaper view (fewer people). It is pieced together with my different contracts.

Not sure how long it take me to get my points lined back up.

Lol. Got excited with all the replies but then so many people who answered didn’t answer the question: What WOULD you do differently which is different than WOULD you do it differently?
But ok, I take it how it rolls. I still appreciate the replies and learned a lot of nothing. Lol. Totally joking here.

I learned about how Dis should bring back 100 percent borrowing! (Bottom line for any leadership reading this!). Also I’m now appreciative I have some points left and not a big fat zero I guess. Must be frustrating for a lot though and that continuing this is necessary/helpful is highly questionable.

Yea I don't have the numbers, but they did indeed loose those 3 months correct? Otherwise I think they were completely open since last July was it?

Aulani didn’t open until November and VGC until May of 2021.

Those resort owners were not prohibited to trade into the other resorts while the rooms at their home resorts were offline. So that adds a lot of rooms and points as well.

The decision for limiting borrowing happened April 24, 2020, before they had any idea when they would reopen but I think they knew due to the situation they were seeing a lot of banking already…and they were returning the borrowed points all the way up until May 2021 as well.

The fact it’s now 17 months later and we still have the limit, I’d bet they still feel the system isn’t going to work well.

Personally, I think it is better for owners as a whole to see limits to borrowing vs banking.

But for those who relied on normal borrowing rules are stuck needing to adjust.

I have enough points, sometimes I borrow, sometimes I bank. The borrowing restriction really had no affect on me...but it WOULD have if I didn't have a years worth of points left from the closures. I used two years worth of points plus borrowed 19 for a Thanksgiving Week trip for 11 people in two bedroom and Grand Villa. But trips that large are rare for me, like once every 8 years or so.

As others mentioned, what is happening with Canada and other International owners? Maybe renting them out?

Right now, DVC has given international owners who have called an extension until May 2022. They are doing the same thing as they did last year which is giving their own points to them to use once the actual points expire.

Of course, it’s case by case and there are indeed going to be owners who lose points.

Personally, I think it is better for owners as a whole to see limits to borrowing vs banking.

Oh for sure, that would have been outrageous to limit banking.

Right now, DVC has given international owners who have called an extension until May 2022. They are doing the same thing as they did last year which is giving their own points to them to use once the actual points expire.

Of course, it’s case by case and there are indeed going to be owners who lose points.

I see thanks, yea they had to do something for them. But again, that's even more points dumped into next year.

I see thanks, yea they had to do something for them. But again, that's even more points dumped into next year.

Since these are Disney owned points, they could have used them for their own bookings to sell as cash. So in reality it’s a net neutral decision. Owners are just getting the benefit of what amounts to a free transfer of points from DVC/DVD.

We’d buy annual passes too. We tend to go every other year and go twice that year using an annual pass. This year we are bringing guests so we only would have points left to borrow for 4 more nights. I think we will stick with our 8 day passes this year.

We’d buy annual passes too. We tend to go every other year and go twice that year using an annual pass. This year we are bringing guests so we only would have points left to borrow for 4 more nights. I think we will stick with our 8 day passes this year.

Yea I’m with you! I’ll stick to my once a year extended pass bc of the borrowing. Oh wells, Disney loses out! :)

We have AP’s and I don’t think I would do anything different if there was 100% borrowing. We already have changed to mostly booking one bedrooms for us.

Honestly, I would not do anything differently. I already get APs since I go twice a year for about 20 days total overall. I normally bank some points each year. I have borrowed a few in the past to complete a reservation based on that contract, but still ended up banking for a different one. I am splurging on my trip (Friday!!!) to get a 1 bedroom (normally only get a studio when only 2 of us) because I banked a ridiculous amount of points last year. I worry my Mom will like the studio too much and I will end up adding on to get 1 bedrooms more in the future. I would not borrow points to get a 1 bedroom in the future as it would then mess up my points for the next year.

We did buy APS so trying to maximize as many trips as we can. We are getting a little creative; staying in a studio for 1 night before moving to a 2 bd for 1 trip, staying in a 1 bd instead of a 2 for trip #2 and a studio for trip #3- in which I will be 1 point shy if I can secure the studio I want so will have to buy OTU.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter