• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If DL's reopening is for CA residents only at first...

But why is he allowing cities to advertise to out of state resident then? The City of San Diego very much wants us there.

The tourism sectors of San Diego and other cities want visitors and have actively been trying to get people to visit. But the majority of the citizens of San Diego where the economy does not rely as heavily on tourism as a city like Anaheim is another story. Last summer and fall were pretty miserable when all of our outdoor spaces were packed with tourists.

Limiting advertising could be seen as a freedom of speech violation. I haven’t seen the ads, but I would guess they don’t tell people to visit San Diego right now. They probably say something like, “Now is a great time to plan a trip to San Diego.”

I saw a Disney Cruise line commercial last night while watching TLC. I can't actually go on a cruise right now though. Advertising doesn't mean "do this right now!"

“AZ Residents - tickets are as low as $59.99 for a limited time! Experience amazing events, world-class entertainment, your favorite animals and so much more at SeaWorld - NOW OPEN!”

from Facebook today

The San Diego ones are commercials so I dont remember exactly, but it’s along the lines of “San Diego is calling, come and play” Now, right, it’s not saying drive here today! But also not, hey book a stay for 2022 either.

Another sponsored Facebook ad just now. This one doesn’t say “AZ residents” like the Sea World one... but I’m guessing FB knows where I live, haha. To me, is encouraging people to come to SD now- or soon, the way it talks about working and schooling online.

“Sunday Scaries just got less scary. Stay in a San Diego hotel midweek and get good vibes for a lower rate. TGIMonday!

But it doesn’t just stop at lower rates. During the day enjoy reliable WiFi no matter where you are, fun activities close by when you need a break, and a quiet space for working or studying. After work, switch to vacation mode without all the crowds by enjoying dinner outside. Not bad for a Monday. #SDWeekYays”

Another sponsored Facebook ad just now. This one doesn’t say “AZ residents” like the Sea World one... but I’m guessing FB knows where I live, haha. To me, is encouraging people to come to SD now- or soon, the way it talks about working and schooling online.

“Sunday Scaries just got less scary. Stay in a San Diego hotel midweek and get good vibes for a lower rate. TGIMonday!

But it doesn’t just stop at lower rates. During the day enjoy reliable WiFi no matter where you are, fun activities close by when you need a break, and a quiet space for working or studying. After work, switch to vacation mode without all the crowds by enjoying dinner outside. Not bad for a Monday. #SDWeekYays”

There is no doubt the tourism board of San Diego is trying to get people to visit now. My point was that they will not come out and say “Visit today” because of the state’s travel advisory. The San Diego tourism board’s interests are in direct conflict with the state government’s, and arguably many of the citizens of San Diego.

Just saw it again and then found it! We’ll see if this link works.

So, SD residents may not love the tourism, but we are being invited multiple times a day. The message is SD is open for you. A friend of mine just booked an AirBNB for two weeks in June in Mission Beach.

eta- was posting as you were! It is what it is I guess. Are youth sports closed there? We still have tons of travel here with CA youth sports teams. But not sure if they were already planned or just still coming. Our dance nationals was actually just moved to Phoenix from SD for July, which was happy news for me!

Just saw it again and then found it! We’ll see if this link works.

So, SD residents may not love the tourism, but we are being invited multiple times a day. The message is SD is open for you. A friend of mine just booked an AirBNB for two weeks in June in Mission Beach.

eta- was posting as you were! It is what it is I guess. Are youth sports closed there? We still have tons of travel here with CA youth sports teams. But not sure if they were already planned or just still coming. Our dance nationals was actually just moved to Phoenix from SD for July, which was happy news for me!

It depends on the sport. High school CIF team sports were just allowed to begin competing for the first time this school year, but I believe low contact sports like cross-country have been allowed. Even though those school sports have been allowed, the majority of San Diego K-12 students have not stepped foot into a classroom since last March unless they attend a private school or small charter.

Private club sports have continued if they are held outside. My daughter’s gymnastics team was still able to practice because of their homeschool certifications and because of their amateur sport designation (we have athletes from our gym that are also on Team USA), but they had to install hospital grade air filtration systems, keep their warehouse roll-up doors open (even in the winter), wear masks even when doing high-level (and frankly dangerous) skills, insure social distancing, and not allow parent viewing. USA gymnastics pushed back their season so we are doing a condensed season at the end of April and beginning of May. It’s funny that your dance nationals were moved to Phoenix, because our regionals were just moved from Phoenix to Las Vegas. My daughter just returned to the gym as we decided to not allow her to go to practice while the stay-at-home order was in effect for 3 months. We are still deciding whether or not we will travel to the state and regional meets.

But back to tourism and theme parks reopening - many parents are upset that the city is encouraging people to ignore the travel advisory and visit San Diego while our schools reopening are contingent on the state’s case # and % positive requirements. San Diego’s beaches are a huge draw, so people will still visit from out of state even if they aren’t allowed to go to Legoland and Sea World, but the CA only requirement will hopefully discourage some travel and give our area more time to recover.

Obviously I’m a big Disney nerd so I follow things like travel advisories, haha, but I’d say 90% of the people here have no idea there’s even a CA travel advisory here! You know, besides that whole pandemic thing, haha. But pretty much every household I know has at least one vaccinated adult, so I can see people feeling better about traveling, not knowing they really aren’t welcome.

I saw yet another Facebook ad last night geared towards doing your online schooling in SD, similar to the one above. Now fb may know i copied that one so now I’m being bombarded but it’s constant!

Im an elementary teacher on spring break this week. I can’t believe how many families we have traveling. I’ll admit we are headed to DL for Memorial Day but that’s 2.5 months away still. We haven’t been out of state in over a year, but I’m itching to get out of here. We are hopeful we can get into the parks, but if not, we plan to do one beach day and one resort day instead. My VGC points will expire so we gotta use them. Or maybe sell the reservation... but right now, we plan on going.

That is pretty confusing to see ads begging people to do their remote working or distance education while staying in SD. I work at a university in Northern California, and they just sent out an email urging students not to engage in non-essential travel during our spring break (last week of March).

That is pretty confusing to see ads begging people to do their remote working or distance education while staying in SD. I work at a university in Northern California, and they just sent out an email urging students not to engage in non-essential travel during our spring break (last week of March).

UC Davis is offering to pay students to stay in town over spring break. They definitely do not want people traveling over spring break.

My district was asking parents to self quarentine their kids after travel during Thanksgiving and winter break, but did not ask that for Spring Break. It was voluntary so I’d guess only 1/3 complied. It was worrisome.

My district was asking parents to self quarentine their kids after travel during Thanksgiving and winter break, but did not ask that for Spring Break. It was voluntary so I’d guess only 1/3 complied. It was worrisome.

Our district asked families to quarantine kids after Christmas break if they traveled out of state, but then also said that kids would NOT be allowed to access distance learning at that time and would have to take the absences and then make up the work later, so a bunch of kids went to school anyway. It didn't lead to any significant case numbers though.

Oh man! We offered to live stream at least for those families!

Our high school is hybrid, so kids are only in person 2 days and distance learning 2 (Mondays are a no class day). They would not allow kids to do distance learning all 4 days because the way it is set up, the in person cohort day includes things like labs and hands on work and group assignments that cannot be duplicated at home.

I teach at a CO university and our spring break was pushed back to the third week of the semester with the last two weeks being totally remote to prevent traveling college kids raising risk levels with travel and then returning home.

It's a logical approach- I'm surprised to read other universities didn't do the same.

We have a TON of snow-birds and retirees here though. I would like to see it broken down by age/co-morbidity metrics. I personally don't know a single person here who's had it.
Sadly, in our area, it was pretty rampant. I lost my 41yo cousin to it. One of my best friends lost her dad to it, her mom survived, but is still recuperating almost a year later. I didn't fare well, but I survived. I have friends in Scottsdale that their kids got it, but the adults didn't.

Here is the breakdown I could make from the stats. Nothing on comorbidities, but at least age....

Arizona
Under 20 - 24 deaths - .145% of the deaths
20-44 yo deaths - 676 - 4.106% of AZ deaths
45-54 deaths - 1018 - 6.183% of the deaths
55-64 deaths - 2398 - 14.566% of the deaths
65+ deaths - 12347 - 74.998%

California
Under 20 - 14 deaths - .025% of the deaths
20-44 yo deaths - 3620 - 6.632% of AZ deaths
45-54 deaths - 5607 - 10.272% of the deaths
55-64 deaths - 4986 - 9.135% of the deaths
65+ deaths - 40354 - 73.934%

I can see why CA is making this rule for the start, I do think they will ease if they can see improvement nationwide. I don't think there will be a change until at least mid-summer. I do think there will be enough interest with just CA residents to pack the 25% limits, at least thru this year.

Our district asked families to quarantine kids after Christmas break if they traveled out of state, but then also said that kids would NOT be allowed to access distance learning at that time and would have to take the absences and then make up the work later, so a bunch of kids went to school anyway. It didn't lead to any significant case numbers though.
WOW, glad it didn't add to the significant increase. One of the local school districts is actually using the hybrid system as a possible continuation for those kids who will have to miss school for illness or even suspension. Our schools are offering full time in class starting next week, but those who want to continue online will be allowed. I can't believe they wouldn't allow distance learning....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter