Ideas for where to stay for 2-3 month in San Diego?

thor369

Mouseketeer
I looked at Airbnb and vrbo but everything is $4000 + for a monthly stay.
We will be staying for a week with our family and then want to spend the summer for 2-3 months and wanted to see if you guys have any ideas of cheaper accommodation.
We are a family of 4 with two kids under 6 years old, they won’t have school but we will be working remotely and then going out to visit our family most likely everyday after we log off our work at around 2pm.

we would also be taking some road trips so will be out for maybe a week or two so don’t want to pay for those 2 weeks.

What would be a good strategy here

You might be able to find residence type hotels such as residence inn, stay america, etc, that will be a little lower. I'm seeing some for around $100/night for this month, but that will of course jump during the summer.

I think $4K for a month is lower than what I am used to seeing for a rental near the beach or anything worth staying near.

Perhaps you could attempt to offer housesitting services for some of your stay. Maybe look at Craigslist or any services that offer house sitting and see if you can get a few weeks of that. That will take the sting out of paying for the weeks that you'll need to pay to stay somewhere.

Rent in California is expensive, period.
(The house across the street from me is 6k a month. I'm in teh bay area, which is more expensive, but not by THAT much.)

An extended stay hotel *may* be cheaper.

I agree with pp, $4k for a house is a good price.

Mortgage, insurance & taxes on a single family home is going to be $3k minimum, so $4k seems pretty reasonable. Rentals are scarce in general.

I live in San Diego! The average rent here is around $2,000/month. You can get cheaper, and of course there is more expensive, but that's an average.

Most places will lease for a minimum of 6 months, so that really wouldn't work for you probably.

As some others recommended, I'd check into hotels that allow you to pay by the month as their "rent" will be lower. But even living here costs $2,000/month so paying $3,000 for a month at a hotel isn't too terrible considering cost of living here.

You won't do better than that for a short term rental in a house or condo type place.

I live in San Diego! The average rent here is around $2,000/month. You can get cheaper, and of course there is more expensive, but that's an average.

Most places will lease for a minimum of 6 months, so that really wouldn't work for you probably.

As some others recommended, I'd check into hotels that allow you to pay by the month as their "rent" will be lower. But even living here costs $2,000/month so paying $3,000 for a month at a hotel isn't too terrible considering cost of living here.

Just to add further detail, that 2k is for a one bedroom apartment and is an average for the entire county.

Something bigger, in a desirable area, will be higher.

Just to add further detail, that 2k is for a one bedroom apartment and is an average for the entire county.

Something bigger, in a desirable area, will be higher.

Probably. Admittedly, I haven't been renter for 5 years, but my 1-Bedroom in El Cajon back in 2016 was $1,100 plus utilities. I think I saw in the last year or two that that complex is now $1,500 for 1 bedroom. So there are some cheaper, but El Cajon is definitely about the cheapest area in the county. Everywhere else is bound to be a lot higher.

Probably. Admittedly, I haven't been renter for 5 years, but my 1-Bedroom in El Cajon back in 2016 was $1,100 plus utilities. I think I saw in the last year or two that that complex is now $1,500 for 1 bedroom. So there are some cheaper, but El Cajon is definitely about the cheapest area in the county. Everywhere else is bound to be a lot higher.

El Cajon is probably one of the cheapest areas still. My 1br in Carmel Mountain was 1k 20 years ago.

Apartments are definitely cheaper than houses though, but as you said, it would be hard to find a normal rental for less than 6-12 months anyway.

As a California resident, $4k for a month sounds about right if you're looking near the ocean. House rentals where I live are about $3k for long term (minimum 1 year lease) and I live an hour away from the beach. If you break $4k down by day, that's only about $130 per night. Hotels in the summer are usually more than that.

If you want cheaper, you could go inland and look in the desert or inland empire, but that's not going to get you easy access to the ocean or anything fun.

As a California resident, $4k for a month sounds about right if you're looking near the ocean. House rentals where I live are about $3k for long term (minimum 1 year lease) and I live an hour away from the beach. If you break $4k down by day, that's only about $130 per night. Hotels in the summer are usually more than that.

If you want cheaper, you could go inland and look in the desert or inland empire, but that's not going to get you eat access to the ocean or anything fun.

El Cajon is inland and gives you those cheaper prices. We're only 30 minutes from SeaWorld and most beaches, so it's not a terrible drive.

I have friends that used to stay month long trips at the Country Inns and Suites near San Diego, Encinitas area. I have also stayed there for family get together.
The nearby Moonlight Beach is incredible and have also stayed at the Days Inn and Best Western in this area. My family lives in Encinitas
Love this area ! Close to Legoland too!

These locations Book up for weekends so Do Not delay!

Last edited:
Thanks for for providing the perspective, as an non California resident, the comparing of rents always comes in mind of where you live. I think you all make a good point and someone mentioned the breakdown of $130 a night is a very good way to think about it, with furnished rental.

Not sure if you're still looking but I recently saw Hyatt House offering $89/night for 30+ night stays. If interested, I'll see if I can dig up the info for it.

thanks, we did find something but if it’s not too time consuming would like to see that deal. Might come in handy later.

We have several homes in our neighborhood (illegally, because our city bans short term rentals) renting "for the summer" and it's $6000/month. These are fully furnished homes in a neighborhood centrally located in Orange County. So, I'd say $4000 is a pretty good deal.

Our normal rent is $3700/month for a 12 month lease.

You might be able to find residence type hotels such as residence inn, stay america, etc, that will be a little lower. I'm seeing some for around $100/night for this month, but that will of course jump during the summer.

I think $4K for a month is lower than what I am used to seeing for a rental near the beach or anything worth staying near.
For this long of a stay, you can call these types of hotels directly and you can often work out a deal, usually around $1,000 a month with taxes and all.

Another option is www.hotels.com has a long term stay option where hotels will bid to give you the stay you want.

thanks, we did find something but if it’s not too time consuming would like to see that deal. Might come in handy later.

Here you go! It's for Hyatt House San Diego/Sorrento Mesa. Don't know how long the offer is good for though.
At this time, we are offering a discounted rate of $89.00/night ($2,760/month) for one of our spacious king one-bedroom suites.
Besides this most incredible competitive rate, you also have additional complimentary amenities to round out your stay:
· Complimentary grab and go breakfast options
· Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the property
· Complimentary outdoor, self-parking
· On site, coin operated laundry facilities
· Weekly billing options
· Pet friendly – we simply ask for a $75 pet cleaning fee
· TV’s equipped with Chromecast to easily use Netflix and Hulu accounts
· 24 hour market featuring various foods, beverages and sundry items + 2
complimentary waters at check-in
· Automatic upgrade to Globalist with World of Hyatt membership/points program
· (earn points on business so you can stay free while on vacation!)

For guests staying 30+ nights, there are more amazing amenities
· Tax exempt when staying 31+ nights
· Laundry Basket with a Scrub Stub = once-a-week
laundry service with detergent and soften
· 10% discount coupon for items in our H-Market
(not including alcohol)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!