Iceland Trip Report...FABULOUS trip!

Before we left, I had looked through the hashtag #bluelagoon on Instagram for picture ideas. I would recommend everyone do that if you'd like to get some angles you might not have thought of. I hopped up on a little bridge here to get a pic from above with the milky water surrounding my boys!

Iceland 1.jpg

Thank you so much for posting your Adventure! I want to go to Iceland but this looks a wee bit too strenuous for me (my idea of bliss is a spa...). I'll just enjoy the photos and your report for now :)

PS y'all look so familiar-pretty sure we sat next to each other a time (or five) last Christmas on the Rhine cruise!

Thank you so much for posting your Adventure! I want to go to Iceland but this looks a wee bit too strenuous for me (my idea of bliss is a spa...). I'll just enjoy the photos and your report for now :)

PS y'all look so familiar-pretty sure we sat next to each other a time (or five) last Christmas on the Rhine cruise!
We were on the Rhine so probably so!!! Loved that trip!

More photos!....

Thingvellir National Park where the first parliament was born in the 900s. This is located near Lake Thingvallavatn, the largest lake in Iceland.

Gullfoss Waterfall, the two-tiered waterfall

Kerid Crater, formed nearly 6500 years ago...

At the foot of Seljalandfoss, a creek runs where water runs clean and fresh you can literally drink straight from it! That's Stefan our local guide, and we refilled our water bottles from that creek!

Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon, such an impressive sight!

Our plane to Akureyri

This humpback whale swam right next to our boat!

A full skeleton of an 80 foot blue whale at the Whale Museum in Husavik! The baleen looks like hair!

A side trip to boiling mud pots....

An eider duck, its down feathers cost $$ per kilo and a duvet made with these feathers cost as much as $10K!

One good aspect that I learned about the down used in the duvets is that it is collected from the nest when shed and no harm comes to the duck or ducklings. Love your report and pictures.

One good aspect that I learned about the down used in the duvets is that it is collected from the nest when shed and no harm comes to the duck or ducklings. Love your report and pictures.

Yup, that's true and it's a 24-7 watch so that the ducks aren't harmed by predators.

OH!!!! Travel tip.... When you visit the Fuglasafn Sigurgeirs Bird Museum at the end of the trip, BE CAREFUL inside the bird exhibit. There are water ponds on the floor and it's dim inside. One of our tripmate Mamas stepped/fell into the ankle-deep water, soaking her shoes and socks. Guide said it happens every trip even though they give a heads up (although we weren't in the room when they gave the heads up and I would have totally stepped in it too probably!)

We leave early tomorrow for Central Europe ABD so I'm going to do my best to get the rest of this trip report finished so it's not dragging on forever :)

DAY 5: SURF AND TURF

After breakfast at the Akureyri hotel, we headed out to Godafoss (Waterfall of the Gods) for some amazing scenery and of course, pics! So much power behind these waterfalls! Our next stop was the Grenjadarstadour Turf Houses. Beautiful historical display inside this authentic, original turf house. The museum guide did a great job explaining how life worked in the turf houses, gave us a feeling for the owners of the house, and it was pretty awesome to stand in the different rooms and imagine what life must have been like in the late 1800s! Pretty spot for pics too... I loved seeing some of the shots the photography buffs in our group captured.

Lunch and the afternoon were on our own in a little seaside village nearby, Husavik. I think we had about 2 hours in town on our own, and there were a few restaurant options. We chose the Fish & Chips place. Ordered at the window, took three HUGE plates of fish & chips upstairs and enjoyed the beautiful view. For 3 giant portions plus 2 sodas, the total was about $65USD. Pretty sure it was one of the cheaper options to feed 3 people :) IF you visit here, you can EASILY split one Fish & Chip between at least 2 people. We decided all three of us could have split one. We ended up throwing out some of each of our dishes because we were so stuffed, and given the cost, that hurt. Ha!

In Husavik, ABD has also paid for admission to the Whale Museum. We didn't even plan to go, but we had some extra time so we headed over and it was REALLY well done and worth visiting (especially since it's already paid for :) ) They have packed the museum with so much great information about whales, whaling, conservation, and there's a ton of actual bones, skeletons, etc. I would really encourage anyone to stop in and check it out while you're in town... they've done a great job with this.

The evening was back in Akureyri and on our own. Since we still had bread, peanut butter, and jam left we headed back to the store for new chips and had another relaxing night eating in. TOTALLY happy with that choice. HA! We are easy!

DAY 6: OFF THE WHEATEN PATH

Loads of things to see today! We started out at the Fuglasafn Sigurgeirs Bird Museum complex. The walk from the coach to the museum building was CRAZY nuts with midge flies and the guides handed us all head nets to wear for the day. ABD thinks of everything I tell 'ya! We just hung onto the nets all day and used as needed. At least the flies don't bite!

We split into 2 groups in order to visit the 2 buildings, then swapped. In the "boat building" they've really done a good job collecting items and building the story of one man's fascinating life. The "bird building" has the largest private (stuffed) bird collection in Iceland. Both buildings were really interesting. The museum also had a little shop where you could get a quick drink or ice cream from the freezer (at your own cost) if you needed something.

Next we visited a local smokehouse to learn about "cold smoking" fish and meats, and we were treated to a tasting table of the most amazing smoked meats I've ever tasted. And they encouraged us to eat it ALL because it had to be gone so seconds, and thirds, were encouraged. Didn't have to twist my arm! Luckily my son doesn't care for fish so I ate all of his too. HAHA! I'm still dreaming of the smoked trout.

We made a surprise stop at the boiling mud pots and it's nothing like I've ever seen or experienced in my whole life! The local guide taught us so much about the mud pots and even though it was super stinky (sulfur!) it was a memory we will never forget.

We stopped for lunch at Cafe Vogafjos in the middle of a farm. They've got a Lava Tea that's made from herbs they've gathered around the farm so be sure to try a cup of that (courtesy of ABD). My boys both had the burger and said it was some of the best beef they've ever had!

After filling up on lunch, we headed over to the Dimmuborgir Lava Labyrinth to explore and walk the home of the Yuletide Lads (13 mischevious boys who are like trouble-making Santas). We loved hearing the stories of the Lads from our Icelandic guide!

Since we hadn't eaten in the last 5 minutes, it was time for more food! Our next stop was for baking Geysir Bread... the group mixed up the bread dough and buried the buckets of dough underground, which were then cooked by the heat from nearby hot springs. There is NOTHING BETTER than hot bread and Icelandic butter if you ask me! I can literally taste that hearty, rich bread and butter in my mouth now and I would go back to Iceland just to eat this. hahaha. Please have a scoop for me and remember this Texas girl who wishes she could be stuffing her face full of more Geysir bread & butter!

After this full day of awesomesauce, it was time to relax so we headed to the Myvatn Nature Baths. While the Blue Lagoon is definitely a tourist stop and set up as such, the Myvatn Baths are a local favorite so it's got a little more local flavor. The process is roughly the same... everyone gets a locker, and everyone is expected to shower fully before getting into the baths. The shower situation in the Blue Lagoon means individual stalls with doors and liquid body wash & conditioner provided. Since Myvatn Baths are more local, the shower situation is one large shower room with about 20 shower heads. They have a multipurpose foaming soap and no conditioner, so if you want to get your hair wet in the baths be sure to bring your own shampoo and conditioner.

Since this is a local bath, the people kind of expect you to "act like a local" and follow the general rule of showering without suits on before entering. It's common there, it's what everyone is doing, and if you leave your suit on someone may say something (my husband had already showered and then had his trunks on and someone told him he needed to undress before showering. it was no big deal and really, we are visiting their baths) I just wanted to share so you know what to expect, and what's expected of you.

If you didn't want to visit the baths this time, the alternative activity was to hang out in the cafe & ABD treated them to drinks. I'd say there were about 10 of our group that chose that... I always love that ABD comes up with alternate activities when needed. We don't ride bikes, so I always appreciate that we have an alternative during bike activities.

That evening, we all went to Bryggjan for dinner. My boys had the ribs and they said they were SO good! The dessert here rocked my socks off... I miss the food!

There are a whole series of them, and aside from being helpful, give you an insight into the Icelandic frame of mind. They're a hoot.

Love this thread and all the pics! I am a "Disney" person and likely a future ABD client but couldn't justify the cost of this Iceland trip. We did it on our own and are currently in Hofn. The pics of glacier lagoon have me very excited about tomorrow!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter