I wish WWOHP was in WDW

I'd be in total heaven :littleangel:

Do you think Disney might buy out Universal at some point? I'd love to go to WWOHP while in WDW and not go bankrupt.

I wish US & IOA was also part of Disney then I could have just added 2 days onto my MYW ticket at $8 a day for 5 of us instead of paying $115 per person times 5 ppl to go to US & IOA. 2 day base tickets 1 park per day. But my kids really wanted to see WWOHP so we added the 2 days on to go see US & IOA. Our last day before we leave will be IOA & WWOHP. Great way to end a 10 day dream vacation.

Just 2 more days!!!

IF Disney bought US/IOA I won't expect the $8 for an extra day to stay. The ONLY reason why it costs only $8 to add a day is to keep you on property for the fifth or sixth day and NOT go to US/IOA.

If Disney bought them, again not going to happen, I would expect a major over haul in the ticket structure. Meaning if you wanted to go to both areas expect to pay the about same as if you go to both areas now.

Just like the cost of the AP that gets you into both DL and WDW is about the cost of buying both.

I'm a huge HP fan, but haven't made it to WWOHP yet. It looks great, but...I have a 5 year old DD and there isn't much at Universal that really would interest her at this point. Some of the Seuss rides, yeah, but not worth the price for just those. We're AP holders for Disney, so it makes that much cheaper on us. Maybe one day we'll make it back to Universal...though I don't think I could handle the Hogwarts ride...spiders? Just no.

I'm really excited to see what Disney might do with their Pixar/Marvel/Star Wars connections over the years. The new Cars Land in Disneyland and Pixar stuff at Disneyland Paris...looks neat and a good addition for the boys who have probably grown a bit tired of all the Princess stuff (though DD can't wait for the new Fantasyland to open!). Don't know how Avatar might fit in, but didn't they originally intend a sort of fantasy creature area to AK? Maybe it could work in that realm. *shrug* So far, Disney has done pretty darn good, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Well said. I also love Disney, but for anyone to say that Universals rides are dated, but Jungle Cruise, Indy Speedway, Space Mountain, Pirates of the Carribean, The Cabelleros, Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, Tom Sawyer Island, Stitch...etc are not????

Spider Man beats any ride in Disney.

Simpsons beats Star Tours

Hulk beats Everest.

Revenge of the Mummy beats Dinosaur (really...turn down the volume a bit!)

I love Disney, but I do enjoy and appreciate other things too....

I couldn't agree more with these comparisons although I'd compare Mummy to RnR or Space Mountain instead and Mummy is better than both. Additionally, the theming, especially in Seuss Landing, in IoA is spectacular to the smallest detail.

Continuing with your comparisons

Men in Black beats Buzz Light Year and TSM
Popeye and Bluto Bilge Raft beats Kali (this one is not even remotely close)

The fact is that the Golden Ticket awards which are given out each year (and yes I know these are geared to Coaster Parks but not every category) has had Spider Man as best indoor ride and Dudley Do Right Ripsaw Falls as the best water ride for years running (basically since the parks opened).

This year Golden Tickets (see complete list of winners here if curious http://goldenticketawards.com/2011_park_ride.html) has Dudley Do Right as best water ride (Splash Mountain is #4), Harry Potter #1 and Spider Man #2 as best indoor rides (ToT is #3), and Mummy as best indoor coaster (Space Mountain is #2 and #4 and RnR #3).

I am a Disney annual passholder and as you can see from my signature I go frequently (I usually go to US/IoA once a year) but people on this board dismiss US/IoA simply because it is not Disney. I love Disney and it will always by my #1 choice but it's ok to love them both.

I couldn't agree more with these comparisons although I'd compare Mummy to RnR or Space Mountain instead and Mummy is better than both. Additionally, the theming, especially in Seuss Landing, in IoA is spectacular to the smallest detail.

Continuing with your comparisons

Men in Black beats Buzz Light Year and TSM
Popeye and Bluto Bilge Raft beats Kali (this one is not even remotely close)

The fact is that the Golden Ticket awards which are given out each year (and yes I know these are geared to Coaster Parks but not every category) has had Spider Man as best indoor ride and Dudley Do Right Ripsaw Falls as the best water ride for years running (basically since the parks opened).

This year Golden Tickets (see complete list of winners here if curious http://goldenticketawards.com/2011_park_ride.html) has Dudley Do Right as best water ride (Splash Mountain is #4), Harry Potter #1 and Spider Man #2 as best indoor rides (ToT is #3), and Mummy as best indoor coaster (Space Mountain is #2 and #4 and RnR #3).

I am a Disney annual passholder and as you can see from my signature I go frequently (I usually go to US/IoA once a year) but people on this board dismiss US/IoA simply because it is not Disney. I love Disney and it will always by my #1 choice but it's ok to love them both.

I forgot about Popeye vs Kali. Absolutely...popeye is best rapids ANYWHERE

I disagree about Dudley though. I prefer Splash Mountain. I love the theming.

I disagree about MiB... I love TSM...but it does beat Buzz

I do spend more time in Disney every trip, but I never go to Disney without a trip to Universal/Sea World and BG to compliment it.

I'm thrilled it's not. I love IOA and am glad that they got WWoHP. There's already so much at Disney. As for cost, we use credit card points to get free tickets to IOA/US. So, that's an idea for those complaining about the cost. It's the Chase Freedom mastercard. (There's lots of other things points can be used for as well, including Sea World tickets).

I have not seen WWoHP completely finished yet - our last IOA/US trip was right before it was open. I do think it fits in better at IOA though.

It looks great, but...I have a 5 year old DD and there isn't much at Universal
There is plenty to do at IOA for kids. We don't need a full day on the Universal side, but we need more than a day at the IOA side.

I recently got AP to UO and have had AP to Disney for about 12 years. People just need to know that it's two different theme parks. You might not find the same "magic" as you find at Disney but UO is a great addition to any vacation.
My daughters 11 b-day was this past weekend and she decided to go to UO instead than Disney, she got her button, got wished Happy B-Day the same as in Disney, she asked to meet in private the cast of the Beetlejuice show (she loves this show) and got her wish, the "monsters" were great and she talked to them for about 10min. When we went to ride Men In Black, just as we were getting ready to ride over the intercom it said "The MIB crew wants to wish Happy B-Day to Stephanie" her eyes just lit up, there is plenty of magic at UO.
Also, people that complain that UO doesn't have enough things for young kids I would say this:
where in the 4 Disney Parks will you find a water/squirty park the size and as detailed like Curious George in US?
How can you compare the Boneyard or Honey I shrunk the Kids playgrounds to the entire area of Jurassic Park in IOA or Fievel's Playground in US?
maybe not alot of rides for little ones but how many times have I seen parents drag kids out of these playground areas, little kids don;t really appreciate rides that much compared to play areas.

Cost wise, we have found it best to do two types of trips:

1) A strictly Disney trip

2) A Universal trip combined with Discovery Cove and SeaWorld

Cost wise, for our family of 5, they were basically the same. We ate a bit better at Disney but we were able to stay club level at a better hotel at Universal. It gets expensive when trying to combine the two. My dream world would include them all together under one pass though.:cloud9: If that were the case, the four parks we would hit every year would be:

1 Discovery Cove (LOVED it!)
2 Magic Kingdom (Can't not see the castle!)
3 Epcot (So much to do!)
4 Islands of Adventure (WWOHP is the best theming I have ever seen!)

Then, we would take turns alternating in Universal Studios, AK, DHS and SeaWorld and maybe a waterpark here and there.

I'd be in total heaven :littleangel:

Do you think Disney might buy out Universal at some point? I'd love to go to WWOHP while in WDW and not go bankrupt.

Actually, it would be a total nightmare. Both parks need to exist separately and be in constant competition to each other, otherwise we may end up riding Double Dumbo for the next 40 years.:scared1:

DH and I are returning to Orlando in February and this time adding in WWOHP. When the final movie came out, we went back and watched the first 7 and now we are reading the entire series..we (especially me) became addicted. Needless to say, we can't wait to go, but it is pretty inconvenient to have to travel to a separate park. Last time we drove to FL, but now we will be flying and won't have a rental car. We've decided taking a taxi is the easiest and most cost effective thing to do to get to WWOHP. So reading that Disney was approached to do HP was a nice kick in the pants! And now we're going to be stuck with Avatar....ugh!

Harry Potter > Avatar :wizard:

On a side note, we have been to UO before and I wasn't that impressed. Almost every ride UO has, Disney has but better. The only thing I enjoyed more at UO last time was the Spiderman ride, but now that DHS has Star Tours in 3D, there would be no reason to go to UO again (at least for us) if it weren't for WWOHP.

My BF and I did Universal three years ago. It was fun but had no desire to go back. We did our first Disney trip back in September as adults and now we want to go back, but my BF really wants to go to WWOHP too :sad2: I am in no way a Harry Potter fan and the thought of the logistics of getting there (no car) and the cost affiliated with it is making me cringe. Don't you have to pay admission to WWOHP in addition to admission to US?

My BF and I did Universal three years ago. It was fun but had no desire to go back. We did our first Disney trip back in September as adults and now we want to go back, but my BF really wants to go to WWOHP too :sad2: I am in no way a Harry Potter fan and the thought of the logistics of getting there (no car) and the cost affiliated with it is making me cringe. Don't you have to pay admission to WWOHP in addition to admission to US?

No...WWOHP is just another area of IOA. It is like going to Tomorrowland in MK

Don't you have to pay admission to WWOHP in addition to admission to US?

No. Universal Studios Florida has two parks - Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. WWOHP is part of Islands of Adventure. You can buy a ticket to either the Studios side or the IOA side (or both), but there is no separate admission to WWOHP once you are in IOA.

If you want to go to both parks, yes..they are 2 separate parks essentially.. Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure (which has WWOHP). It is possible to just buy tickets to one park obviously (that's what we're doing!).

WWOHP is in Islands of Adventure.

If you weren't impressed, then just to do WWOHP will be way too expensive IMO. You can buy ticket only to IOA if you plan to do WWOHP only, or you can invest into 2parks/1day tickets since you will be there already and just hit all the areas you liked last time. BTW, you can rent a car or use Mears, for 2 may be cheaper.

I forgot about Popeye vs Kali. Absolutely...popeye is best rapids ANYWHERE

I disagree about Dudley though. I prefer Splash Mountain. I love the theming.

I disagree about MiB... I love TSM...but it does beat Buzz

I do spend more time in Disney every trip, but I never go to Disney without a trip to Universal/Sea World and BG to compliment it.

Popeye is by far the best rapids ride anywhere. It is one of my favorite rides in any park.

I agree with you 100% on Splash (my favorite Disney ride) over Dudley Doo Right. While the Dudley Doo Right's drop is better, Splash as a whole is a much better ride. I've never understood why Golden Ticket picks Dudley Doo Right.

I like TSM but I prefer shooting aliens :rotfl: so MiB is better for me but I agree those two are very comparable.

Disney has more to do with the 4 parks and we usually get a one day/two park Universal ticket and finish both parks in one day.

DH and I are returning to Orlando in February and this time adding in WWOHP. When the final movie came out, we went back and watched the first 7 and now we are reading the entire series..we (especially me) became addicted. Needless to say, we can't wait to go, but it is pretty inconvenient to have to travel to a separate park. Last time we drove to FL, but now we will be flying and won't have a rental car. We've decided taking a taxi is the easiest and most cost effective thing to do to get to WWOHP. So reading that Disney was approached to do HP was a nice kick in the pants! And now we're going to be stuck with Avatar....ugh!

Harry Potter > Avatar :wizard:

On a side note, we have been to UO before and I wasn't that impressed. Almost every ride UO has, Disney has but better. The only thing I enjoyed more at UO last time was the Spiderman ride, but now that DHS has Star Tours in 3D, there would be no reason to go to UO again (at least for us) if it weren't for WWOHP.

Knowing what I do about JKR and Disney, I think the chances of Disney ever getting Potter were pretty much slim to none from the get go regardless. Disney never gives up full creative control of it's parks and JKR is even worse in that regard when it comes to Potter. It just never would've worked.

Plus, JKR has said that she did take in the fans concerns on making the final decision, and as many Potter fans were oppposed to Disney getting the contract, it played a part. As a Disney fan too, I do think Disney would've have done a good job in most ways, but the fear of them putting the "Disney touch" on Potter was enough to give me a major case of the shudders.

Now that I have been spending much more vacation time at Universal because of Potter my Disney blinders have been turned down quite a bit. So I have to say I deeply disagree with you that Disney has every ride that Universal has only better. FJ and Spiderman alone put Universal in a ride catagory way beyond Disney.

We just got back from a 3 day adventure at Universal and one day at the Magic Kingdom.

I agree that you really can't compare the parks to each other. They both have their place in Orlando.

That said- Universal really hit it out of the park with the Harry Potter area. We loved everything about it. And I personally didn't think it was too small. I don't think Disney could have done it the way Universal did.

And I find it hard to beleive that people don't enjoy Universal. Yes it is not Disney and I am glad it is not. When I want magic and pixie dust I head to Disney. When I want to adventure and thrills I do Universal. There is plenty to do at Universal Resort. We spent 3 full days and still wanted to go back and do more. The theming is just amazing and the characters are so easy to access and there are so many fun photo ops.

One huge thing I appreciated was how easy it is to hop between the parks. Just a quick 5 minute walk and you are at the other park.

My BF and I did Universal three years ago. It was fun but had no desire to go back

Did you do just Universal Studios or did you do Islands of Adventure as well? Pre-kids, IOA was our favorite park out of the 7. (4 Disney parks, US, IOA, SW being the 7 parks). Now that we have kids, Epcot is our favorite park, with IOA being in the number 2 spot. The Universal Studios side is fun as well, but it's IOA that gets us coming back again and again. (And we have yet to be there since WWoHP opened).

From a cost perspective...sure it would be great for those of us who prefer Disney over Universal, but from a theme perspective, I don't know if it would work in Disney. I am a huge HP fan just as I'm a huge Disney fan and wouldn't want either of their "magic" to be compromised. I won't go to the WWOHP every year like Disney, but that's ok for me, it's easy enough to get lost in the books!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter