I want to tell the world about WISH -- or at least NC

getnthinr

DIS Veteran
There's a very cool event going on in Raleigh called Ignite Raleigh. The premise is you have 5 minutes and 20 slides to enlighten the world on any topic, but the only way you get to speak is if you are voted in.

I want to talk about WISH and how the Web enabled me to go from fat-and-frightened to Marathon finisher. I need for you to vote for my presentation. It doesn't cost anything -- and there's no money in it for me, either -- but your vote is the only way I can speak. (I hate popularity contests.)

So please, if you can make the time, go to:

http://vot ing.igniteraleigh.com and vote for the title "Everything I Know about Web 2.0, I Learned From the Disney Marathon." It's probably on page 2 -- it was ranked 25th the last time I looked. I almost forgot -- you can "spend" up to 3 votes on me.

If you vote, I get to brag on all of you! :yay::banana::yay::banana::yay::banana:

Good Luck Wendy! I gave you all the votes I could.

Your story is one that inspired me to do many of my races. You really are amazing!

Ok, this is entirely a nitpick (and I voted for you anyway!) but your title is a bit misleading. Web forums such as the DIS are NOT Web 2.0, in a technical sense. Web 2.0 refers to more dynamic content that can be manipulated by individual users (like dragging your route in Google Maps, or editing a Wikipedia article, or clicking "likes this" on Facebook), whereas forums (even pretty and high-functioning ones such as the DIS) rely on more primitive internet technology that has been around for decades.

Total nitpick. Sorry! :lmao:

Sarah

Ok, this is entirely a nitpick (and I voted for you anyway!) but your title is a bit misleading. Web forums such as the DIS are NOT Web 2.0, in a technical sense. Web 2.0 refers to more dynamic content that can be manipulated by individual users (like dragging your route in Google Maps, or editing a Wikipedia article, or clicking "likes this" on Facebook), whereas forums (even pretty and high-functioning ones such as the DIS) rely on more primitive internet technology that has been around for decades.

Total nitpick. Sorry! :lmao:

Sarah

You are entirely correct, Sarah -- Web 2.0 is not really about forums, but certainly it includes podcasts and blogging, both of which are offered on the DIS. I also thought I might talk about how my own marathon timeline was related to the progression of the "Internet community" -- I started on a listserv, then moved to forums, then facebook and twitter (because web 2.0 is about collaboration) -- and so forth.

I think the primary emphasis though at Ignite Raleigh is edutainment -- teach a little, make 'em laugh, inspire 'em.

But good for you that you are so web 2.0 savvy! You are the techno-girl!!!

You are entirely correct, Sarah -- Web 2.0 is not really about forums, but certainly it includes podcasts and blogging, both of which are offered on the DIS. I also thought I might talk about how my own marathon timeline was related to the progression of the "Internet community" -- I started on a listserv, then moved to forums, then facebook and twitter (because web 2.0 is about collaboration) -- and so forth.

I think the primary emphasis though at Ignite Raleigh is edutainment -- teach a little, make 'em laugh, inspire 'em.

But good for you that you are so web 2.0 savvy! You are the techno-girl!!!

:cheer2: I should probably read more than you 50 word blurb before I go and spout off about web technologies, eh? I work at a museum that is trying to harness the 2.0, but just fails every once in awhile, so I've become way too sensitive to the issues that get argued at least twice a month in two hour meetings! :lmao:

It is an awesome topic, though, and I hope you get the chance to speak!

Sarah

Put me down for 6. 3 from here and 3 from my iphone. We'll just count them as my wife voting and me voting. :thumbsup2

Wendy I put my 3 votes in from my laptop and that put you #1!!! I will put more from each computer I can get to!!!

Tracy

3 from me so far..I will try for some more tomorrow!

Very cool Wendy! I just gave you my 3 votes.....your still in 1st place and now have 233 votes.

Wendy: I voted 6 times for you!

BTW: How I did this was voting 3 votes on IE browser and 3 votes using Firefox.

You are #1 now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter