I think I may have forgotten how to relax

Cheryl592000

Savvy?
This might sound silly but, here goes...
In this stressful world we live in, my stress level has been through the roof & beyond. Every cruise it seems like I begin to chill out around day 5 or 6, Then it's over...back to reality.
Any suggestions on how to unwind in the very beginning of the cruise? Not a spa person so...
Thanks in advance.

Agree with DDD, Just taking time to watch the ocean waves is always so peacefull. I just have to make sure I do it when the ocean is really calm, or I get seasick. Unpacking is also a good tip. First cruise it didn't occur to me to do this until the 3rd day, don't know why. Now I unpack as soon as the luggage arrives.

I refuse to check twitter or news while I’m on vacation (because I do this too much at home). I do check personal email but only once a day, just to scan it to see if there is something that can’t wait until we get back. Not hearing any news makes such a huge difference to my stress levels. A lounger on deck 4 with a book is my favorite thing—although I usually am so mesmerized by the scenery I can’t concentrate on the book!

I also recommend creating some kind of ritual when you get on board that signals “I am on vacation now”. For me it’s drinking a BBC during the sail away party. It could also be unpacking, coffee at cove cafe, anything really.

This might sound silly but, here goes...
In this stressful world we live in, my stress level has been through the roof & beyond. Every cruise it seems like I begin to chill out around day 5 or 6, Then it's over...back to reality.
Any suggestions on how to unwind in the very beginning of the cruise? Not a spa person so...
Thanks in advance.
Take a longer cruise.

Start with the planning...or rather not planning. I read so many posts from folks who are trying to wring every last ounce of "things to do" out of the cruise. That sounds like stress to me. We do very little planning....maybe a couple of excursions booked and maybe a Palo res. All the rest just happens. We look at the daily schedule each day to see what, if anything, we want to do. We like to walk/run the track. I like the fitness area, maybe trivia, lots of time on top deck reading/napping. We like second dining then a visit to one of the clubs, then sleep in late.

I just wanted to say thank you for your post! I leave for my 4th Disney cruise next week. I'm usually SO excited, but I've had so many stressful things going on that I'm kind of dreading it. I've told myself that all of my issues can be held off for 5 days, but I have contingencies if they can't. But I will be fine and to focus on relaxing and being catered to. I don't think I'm even going to get off the ship, so I can just stay onboard, maybe go to the spa during port time, watch movies, go to activities if I want, and that's it. I'm hoping once I get on the ship, my attitude will change since Disney anything (cruise/world/land) is my "happy place." I really hope you enjoy your next cruise as well :)

Plan to do less each day. Just relax on deck. Don't try to cram in the 1,000 things that "everyone" says you "must do" or the world will end. At least try to carve out a few hours each day that you can just relax, do what you please, and enjoy yourself. I see people online trying to plan their DCL days like they are WDW days where you need ADRs and FP and a plan, which kind of defeats the purpose of taking a relaxing vacation. If you can let go of the FOMO it might help. :goodvibes

I am with you OP. Sometimes it can take awhile to relax. I read an article on vacation and studies have shown it can take up to 3 or 4 days for a stressed person to relax on vacation. I find I have to make an effort to get it going. No internet or social media. Someone else mentioned a book up in one of the chairs on deck 4. Watching the ocean. Walking on deck and listening to the waves. I completely unpack as soon as possible so I feel like I am settled and at home. Put away all the suitcases, so you don't feel like you will be packing anytime soon. You need to find something or somethings that work for you. Then, there is always the Captain's Mai Tai! :tongue:

Start with the planning...or rather not planning. I read so many posts from folks who are trying to wring every last ounce of "things to do" out of the cruise. That sounds like stress to me. We do very little planning....maybe a couple of excursions booked and maybe a Palo res. All the rest just happens. We look at the daily schedule each day to see what, if anything, we want to do. We like to walk/run the track. I like the fitness area, maybe trivia, lots of time on top deck reading/napping. We like second dining then a visit to one of the clubs, then sleep in late.

I echo this, our best cruise was our first (before I heard of the DIS). We didn’t exactly know what we were doing and just expected to go with the flow. It was SO enjoyable. We didn’t rush to get Palo or special character tickets, no rush to deliver FEs, no keeping a schedule of mixology, we didn’t attend any game show style things either. (And not that there’s anything wrong with any of those activities). We spent a lot more time walking the deck, sitting with a book, even playing in the pool during not crowded times. Now I sometimes feel like the cruise is An exercise in crossing things off a list.

Usually i don't feel relaxed until after our bags are unpacked and muster drill has happened. Then I'm in vacation mode. I prefer to skip the sailaway party and find somewhere quiet to sit (e.g. deck 4) with a book or something to read. Sometimes I also like just walking the outer decks for that breath of fresh ocean air.

I sometimes wake up at night worried about things I need to get done at work or around the house - and I'm usually worried that I will forget to do them. I've found that if I jot them down on a piece of paper and tell myself that there's nothing I can do about it at 3 am and that I can deal with it at an appropriate time, I can go back to sleep pretty quickly. Many times, I wake up and read the list and just laugh because none of the things on the list are difficult or urgent. It makes me feel better to have made the list so I know that I will deal with whatever it is at the right time and won't forget.

Maybe this can somehow translate to a before-vacation list? We often make lists of what to pack so that everything is great on vacation. Maybe you can make a list of "things to leave at home", with things being the stress-inducing items. Of course, they'll still be there when you go back to reality, but they don't need to travel with you!!

And, I agree with many of the previous posts...I disconnect and we have little rituals. One of the things we always do once we've explored a bit is make one phone call to each of our sets of parents (mine and DH's) to check in and let them know we're settled. Then, we turn the phones off and lock them in the safe for the rest of the cruise! Once we turn the phones off...I'm on vacation!

If possible, start already with disconnecting before the vacation starts.

When you are more relaxed before you go on vacation, you will be more relaxed during your vacation.

Look into what you can already do now to reduce stress.
- learn to say no, whether it is at work or at home, school, social or family circles, when someone asks you something, determine if YOU are the one who has to do it. If there are people who can take over stuff, ask them for help.
- If you are the one to do it. Determine if it has to be done now or if it can wait a day/week/month/year. Not everything needs to happen right away.
- plan me-time, doesn't matter if it is hours or just 15 minutes. Stop running, take 15 minutes to stop and just sit and read a book (or whatever you want).
- No screens an hour before bedtime, turn off all phones, tablets, laptops, computers, tv and every other device that comes with a screen. Less stimuli reduces stress.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts