I think I may have forgotten how to relax

Start with the planning...or rather not planning. I read so many posts from folks who are trying to wring every last ounce of "things to do" out of the cruise. That sounds like stress to me. We do very little planning....maybe a couple of excursions booked and maybe a Palo res. All the rest just happens. We look at the daily schedule each day to see what, if anything, we want to do. We like to walk/run the track. I like the fitness area, maybe trivia, lots of time on top deck reading/napping. We like second dining then a visit to one of the clubs, then sleep in late.

I was thinking along the same lines...don't plan a thing (or maybe a few must dos that you have to plan like Palo brunch, etc...). If you feel like doing something then of course go and do it but don't have a plan, don't have a schedule, don't rush. Just do what you feel like doing at the moment. The beauty of a cruise is you can do as much or as little as you want. I am in the camp of doing very little and I will say I feel very relaxed when cruising.

I plan and plan and plan for the cruise. I try to get the (reasonable) plan in place and then just...do it. Work phone is off and in the car in the parking lot. Personal cell is only on to text the kids to leave the Vibe to get ready for dinner :). Kindle is fully charged and open to my latest story. We even discuss what we're going to do upon embarkation. ("Are we going to do Cabanas again?" "Do you kids want to hit the pool or go straight to the club?" "Do we want to hit Satellite Falls or wander the ship?") The big deal for me is to get all the planning out of the way upfront so I *know* that there's nothing to do aside from pick which dessert i want and if I can squeeze another soft serve cone in before dinner.

I have the same problem. I'm looking forward to the Panama Canal for this exact reason. I am going to follow this thread and hopefully get some ideas for myself.

This might sound silly but, here goes...
In this stressful world we live in, my stress level has been through the roof & beyond. Every cruise it seems like I begin to chill out around day 5 or 6, Then it's over...back to reality.
Any suggestions on how to unwind in the very beginning of the cruise? Not a spa person so...
Thanks in advance.

Take naps.
Reading this I can almost bet you don't nap at home do you?
I never nap at home bc of work not even on weekends bc of all the stress from the week.
When cruising, I'm a serial napper. They provide so much joy to me as I can never do it at home.
I nap 2-3 times a day on the ship.
Naps are an incredible cure for stress and a cruise is almost designed for napping.

If possible, start already with disconnecting before the vacation starts.

When you are more relaxed before you go on vacation, you will be more relaxed during your vacation.

Look into what you can already do now to reduce stress.
- learn to say no, whether it is at work or at home, school, social or family circles, when someone asks you something, determine if YOU are the one who has to do it. If there are people who can take over stuff, ask them for help.
- If you are the one to do it. Determine if it has to be done now or if it can wait a day/week/month/year. Not everything needs to happen right away.
- plan me-time, doesn't matter if it is hours or just 15 minutes. Stop running, take 15 minutes to stop and just sit and read a book (or whatever you want).
- No screens an hour before bedtime, turn off all phones, tablets, laptops, computers, tv and every other device that comes with a screen. Less stimuli reduces stress.

This.
If your life is so stressed before vacation then a day or two before your return home you start to get stressed about getting back in the rat race. I hope you can find some ways to reduce stress in your daily life. I know it's hard. I embraced the Danish practice of hygge in my home a few years ago and it has made a lot of difference. Best of luck!

I am no expert, but I think you should focus on getting into vacation mode a day or two before you leave. I know there is always a mad rush to pack, tie up loose ends, deal with pets, etc., but try to make the push a few days earlier and then start to unplug on the last day at home - get a pedicure, go out for pizza, read a fun book in bed, etc.

I'm lucky enough to have a DH that loves driving, so we drive 2 days to the port. I sleep pretty much whenever my map reading skills aren't needed. That really helps with relaxing. By the time I'm on the ship, I'm ready to find all the different things to do and DH just sits on the balcony and watches for fish (he swears he saw one once) or goes to movies.

We each have our own way to relax. You just need to find that thing that works for you. It might be longer breaks.

I agree with others that I like to unpack ASAP, get room organized, get ressies/sign ups. whatever "stuff" I need to do as soon as I get on board. That's it. Then I can "check out" for the length of my cruise. Start eating, drinking, wandering, whatever. For some, its sleeping in on vacation, but for me, I like to get up early and walk up to the top deck for some quiet time. The common areas are pretty empty when its early, everything is so peaceful...I just sit there and remind myself that I have nowhere to be right now, no one is looking for me, and I can just relax in the beauty of the ocean for a little while. It really puts me in the right mind set for each day! (And btw, you dont sound silly at all...I think there are many of us out there just like you!!)

I agree with others that I like to unpack ASAP, get room organized, get ressies/sign ups. whatever "stuff" I need to do as soon as I get on board. That's it. Then I can "check out" for the length of my cruise. Start eating, drinking, wandering, whatever. For some, its sleeping in on vacation, but for me, I like to get up early and walk up to the top deck for some quiet time. The common areas are pretty empty when its early, everything is so peaceful...I just sit there and remind myself that I have nowhere to be right now, no one is looking for me, and I can just relax in the beauty of the ocean for a little while. It really puts me in the right mind set for each day! (And btw, you dont sound silly at all...I think there are many of us out there just like you!!)
Love those early mornings on the ship. All those passengers and it feels like you are the only one on the ship!

I am no expert, but I think you should focus on getting into vacation mode a day or two before you leave. I know there is always a mad rush to pack, tie up loose ends, deal with pets, etc., but try to make the push a few days earlier and then start to unplug on the last day at home - get a pedicure, go out for pizza, read a fun book in bed, etc.
This! The day before leaving I try to have my pre-vaca prep day. Pedi, pizza, movie... then when we step on the plane, that is when I mentally flip my switch to vaca. It may still take 2 days to fully get in the mode, but that's an improvement for me.
Don't try to fix this all at once. Can you do something on day 1 or 2 that will help you relax prior to day 5? Find a way to improve it 1 day for your next trip, then build on what works.

The night before you leave - put your out of office on - do not take calls other than the ones you want to take - DO NOT check emails....... don't set your "things I must get done before I cruise" list out of reach or over achievable this will set you up for disappointments.

It is hard to relax when all of life is so busy. I find that my most difficult times to chill on a cruise are when I am worried about stuff at home. The house, our business, our pets.... the only thing that helps with any of that is to have very reliable people hired to take care of that stuff for us.

If I am comfortable with everything at home before I head to the ship, I just focus on being on vacation. No more worrying about what did or didn't get done because none of that makes any difference at that point. As soon as I get on the ship (if we board while there is still dining service lunch), I have a slow sit down meal. That sets the tone for being slower and kicking back for a while. I also like to have a sail away cocktail (I hardly ever drink) either right before or right after muster drill. By that time, my body has officially accepted that I am on vacation and unplugged.

Pick a good book to read on the cruise and then find a spot in Quiet Cove to relax and read. Don't plan too many activities. Just let the cruise flow. We look forward to our cruise every year as it is our down time, time to concentrate on each other and relax.

Is this available at just one bar or at all of the bars on the Fantasy? I don't think I could handle 5 shots though, back in the day I could, but not now, lol!!
They are available everywhere-not with 5 shots though! They are plenty strong enough as they are. You could always have a second one...

We always book a flight the day before embarkation. This eases my stress regarding travel hiccups and puts me in vacay-mode a day early. I agree that unpacking and completing the muster drill is essential to transitioning into a vacation mindset but the early arrival is key for us.

I don't know if anyone has suggesting taking a less expensive cruise that ends on the day that your DCL cruise begins? Use the first one to unwind - so don't worry about doing anything other than sitting and watching the ocean float by, then drag your bags across the parking lot over to your "Real Cruise Vacation" on Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter