I should cancel, right?

I understand. I was referring to the points required at AKV. Salesguy was saying that 100 points would be enough to book a studio there vs a one bedroom which would require more -- most especially for SV, which he also said is an absolute MUST when he stays there. Without being able to see the animals, "you might as well be at Old Key West," I believe was the actual wording he used.[/QUOTE]

Now your sales guy really sounds pretty pompous to me, because OKW is a really beautiful laid back resort. For him to slam one DVC resort to sell another
is beyond believable.pirate:

cancel! your situation makes me feel panicky! I didn't even know you could finance dvc points. We were given 2/3's of ours from my grandfather and paid cash for the rest. don't finance dvc points. just don't. would you put a vacation on a credit card?!

I understand. I was referring to the points required at AKV. Salesguy was saying that 100 points would be enough to book a studio there vs a one bedroom which would require more -- most especially for SV, which he also said is an absolute MUST when he stays there. Without being able to see the animals, "you might as well be at Old Key West," I believe was the actual wording he used.

Now your sales guy really sounds pretty pompous to me, because OKW is a really beautiful laid back resort. For him to slam one DVC resort to sell another
is beyond believable.pirate:[/QUOTE]

165$?? Seriously? Didn't they just have a price increase, like just last month?

I think the going rate for AKL resale right now is $55 (most likely through Fidelity) to $65 (if it's a TTS contract). And going down every day...

Anyhow, it's a common sales tactic to say that the price is going up tomorrow.

My thought is that they want to increase the cost to get ready for another discount offering and to get ready to price GFV at $185 per point, but if you buy 160 points, we are so nice that we will give you ice cream and take $10 off per point.

:earsboy: Bill

Based on what you posted, I would say go ahead and cancel. At least cancel and then do your math/calculation to figure out if DVC really works for you based on your vacatinoing habit and financial situation.

My parents almost bought DVC back in 2002 but at the end didn't for whatever reasons. Yes, I sort of regret that they didn't buy it, because it would've been so much cheaper back then! But do I really regret? Probably not. Because we were not tied to DVC or Disney, I got to travel around the world for holidays with my family. I appreciate having the option to be flexible and certainly am thankful that I'm lucky enough to have been to so many different countries. If my parents had tied us all in with DVC, my memory in high school and college would probably be Disney only. :)

Fast forward some years, I've finished school and lucky enough have a decent job. I bought DVC onboard a cruise in 2009 - no financing. Even though I didn't have the intention to go to WDW regularly when I bought in 2009, my calculation said that if I use DVC primarily for the Club Cordial resorts in Austria every year/2 years for my ski holidays, this would still be a very good deal and pay itself in 8-15 years. However, when I got home, phoned DVC and started looking into actually booking for Club Cordial (or least plan for that), I discovered something problematic - the Club Cordial exchange point chart was never published early enough! I was told that DVC won't have those points (and hence can't make booking) for the following year until something like in the fall of the previous year. Now, ski season would be Jan to March in Austria and given that it's a prime season, I highly doubt that I'll ever find any availability given the limitation as to how early I can book those stays. I called DVC and asked to cancel the purchase before the 14-day period ends. The attitude of the lady on the phone was not the best - very different from when I met her on the cruise! She's not a guide, but she was like one of the two others working with the guide on the cruise. My guide wasn't available when I called. Anyhow, I insisted on canceling and that's it. No more DVC.

A few years later, I bought Aulani while we were vacationing there. Priorities have changed and despite us currentyly being roughly a 24-hour flight away to Honolulu, I am just so in love with the island. I bought only a small contract so that we can go once every other year or so. One other reason that I bought it now is because I figure that with (hopefully) kids coming in the future, it's probably cheaper to own today than to buy 5 years from now - if I will definitely buy 5 years from now, then it makes sense to just buy today (given that I have the cash today already - could be different if you are financing today but would have the cash later).

Now, do I regret canceling in 2009 now that I am an owner? Yes and no... Yes because I was buying GVC in 2009 and it would've probably been easy to re-sell those (given the sold-out status) :rotfl: No, I don't really regret because it simply didn't suit my needs at the time and it does now. I don't remember exactly how much per point GVC was when I bought in 2009, but I did get a good deal at Aulani with the special offer which made it a rather good value direct purchase. :) Perhaps if I ended up having to pay more, I would've regretted more for not keeping my purchase in 2009.

Anyhow, the bottom line is, you should only buy DVC if it makes sense. When in doubt, best to cancel it and think through the purchase again. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter