I Saw A Snake!

We saw several small snakes and dozens of lizards around the resort grounds at the Polynesian. We're all animal and reptile lovers, and as a young girl I've owned both snakes and lizards, so for us it was a treat. :)

WHOA! You go girl!! Excuse me while I :faint: !! I couldnt imagine OWNING a slithering, squiggly, hissing beast. YOU ARE MORE OF A WOMAN THAT I AM!!! princess:

Please I am going in a few weeks for a much needed vacation and rest. Let me tell you that any hopes of that happening are now gone. I am already in a panic. I am starting to flip out with all of the "what if's" in my head..... Oh well looks like another week of me being :crazy2:

It does make me wonder :scratchin the past few times we have stayed in a vacation rental off site and I NEVER saw any snakes. Now if we see a snake while staying at the POLY I might want to stay off site from now on.

Please I am going in a few weeks for a much needed vacation and rest. Let me tell you that any hopes of that happening are now gone. I am already in a panic. I am starting to flip out with all of the "what if's" in my head..... Oh well looks like another week of me being :crazy2:

It does make me wonder :scratchin the past few times we have stayed in a vacation rental off site and I NEVER saw any snakes. Now if we see a snake while staying at the POLY I might want to stay off site from now on.

Just take your snake repellent and Im sure you will be fine!! :lmao:
Are you flying??? Dont watch the SNAKES ON A PLANE MOVIE! :scared1:

Im sorry....all kidding aside...I leave in Feb for a stay at the much anticipated GF, and I aint gonna worry about a snake. I will just scream and run! Im sure your trip will be snake free. Just dont walk around outside barefooted!!! :)

WHOA! You go girl!! Excuse me while I :faint: !! I couldnt imagine OWNING a slithering, squiggly, hissing beast. YOU ARE MORE OF A WOMAN THAT I AM!!! princess:

Aw, shucks!

But very few snakes hiss, actually. It's not like I owned Cobras. :rotfl:

Just take your snake repellent and Im sure you will be fine!! :lmao:
Are you flying??? Dont watch the SNAKES ON A PLANE MOVIE! :scared1:

Im sorry....all kidding aside...I leave in Feb for a stay at the much anticipated GF, and I aint gonna worry about a snake. I will just scream and run! Im sure your trip will be snake free. Just dont walk around outside barefooted!!! :)

We are driving down but I am seriously considering changing resorts to the Contemporary so I don't have to walk around any grounds. I am horrified at the whole thought :scared1:

OK - i have stayed on site quite a few times in the last 7 years or so and can list of only 3 times that i have seen a snake.

1.) last Aug at POR, the little bugger was laying under some bushes along the path that goes between the pool and the fishing hut.

2.) the Sept before that at POP, he was trucking fast across the sidewalk. he was coming from the direction of the potato heads making a bee line for the brush that is grown up around the pond back there.

3.) i saw a lovely dead one smooshed flat on the road right outside of our camper at FW about 5 years ago. i liked that one so much i took a picture of him. those flat suckers are my favorite kind. (ok, ok, i know, some find them to be very nice and i do see thier role in the circle of life and all that, but everyone has at least one creature out there they would rather see dead than alive. for me, i have two - snakes and mosquitos. if that makes me a bad person in your book - i am totally ok with that.)

I may have peed a little!

can i say that this is the funniest thing i have read on the DIS in years!

It's just a snake. It's more afraid of you than you are of him. Just ignore them and give them a wide bearth and you'll be fine.

My family lives up in the panhandle of Florida and I've seen snakes/gators around their place many times. The only snake I've ever had a problem with is the Pygmy Rattlesnake. These buggers are just plain mean! They're small and you can come up on them unaware and they are quick to strike. Plus, since they are small, their rattle isn't very loud. They are quite common in Florida and I do not advise anyone to reach into/under a bush with checking first.

My cousin is an emergency room doctor in Ft. Walton and he sees tons of patients who are bitten by the pygmy rattlers when gardening.
We've never seen a snake at WDW but we have seen a gator. My friend's daughter was bitten by a snake at CB. She was walking to the pool when it happened. She was rushed to the hospital and kept over night. The hospital was able to get the anti venom. They missed a couple of days at WDW but thank God the girl was ok.

We are driving down but I am seriously considering changing resorts to the Contemporary so I don't have to walk around any grounds. I am horrified at the whole thought :scared1:

Good idea! Then you would have peace of mind!:wizard: Best of luck to you!

We saw one in September '05. It was on the sidewalk right outside Epcot as we were walking from the bus depot to the entrance. It was a copperhead...Not a Disney moment!!

I always like to request an upper floor room at POR because I have visions of snakes or those lizard things getting into the rooms on the lower floor when the mousekeepers sometimes have doors open. I suppose snakes could get to the upper floors as well but somehow I don't let that bother me. And about that movie with snakes on a plane. I think about that now every single time I fly. :scared1:

Saratoga Springs has snakes on the grounds, but what can you expect. They are everywhere. We were walking to DD and taking the path and saw a couple of black ones. My wife will no longer walk through the path at night.

:scared1:

It was back in Nov. 2003 at Ketchakiddee Creek. While my then 3 year old DD and I were playing in the water, my mom jumped about 10 ft. off the place where she was sitting in the shade. At first we thought it was a black water hose, until it started moving!!!:scared1: Needless to say, we re-located our things and chose a new area to sit for the day.

DH and I saw an alligator in the water in CSR..it was a small one. Saw a mouse there also.....thank God no snake sightings yet for me. We leave for a cruise and then 4 day stay at OKW in 3 weeks.....hope we don't have anymore sightings!

Though a number of people have posted here that they've seen snakes, I promise you that WDW is not overrun by snakes. I've been there 15+ times, stayed at 9 different resorts (including the Poly), and I have not seen one single snake. I think the vast majority of visitors never see one.

That said, I really wouldn't bother changing your resort. The Poly doesn't have more snakes than other resorts do, and unless you're planning to go directly from the bus or monorail to your tower room at the CR, never going outside to the pool or the beach, you could possibly run into one there, too. The CR has 'grounds', just as other resorts do. On the rare chance that you do see a snake, it could just as easily be at one of the theme parks.

I know it's hard to get past a fear as strong as yours seems to be, but I don't want you to spend your entire trip looking around for snakes, and not enjoying WDW. Honestly, the odds are very much against your seeing a snake, and the odds of one actually harming you are infinitesimal.

I saw a big one curled up by the Dinoland Kids Play area. Just sat curled up sunning itself until people started to poke it. Just slithered away. Was very cool (if you like snakes). Out front of AK, outside the entrance, we like to chase lizards. One of the greeters that work with the characters told us that two large black rat snakes come out from the woods opposite Rain Forest Cafe to sun themselves. They are so docile people can touch them. I would not recommend doing this however. Rat snakes can be mean and bites till hurt like a dickens...I know. (Not from Disney though).

We've been staying on site at least twice a year since our first Poly visit in 1982 and fortunately have never seen a snake. We've stayed at Poly many times, CR, GF, BC, Dolphin, POR, FQ and POP.

BUT we have seen rats several times, which is why I always request a top floor. The one time we had a first floor at the Poly there was a family of roaches sharing the room - needless to say we moved!

At the Poly & CBR we've only seen rats scurry across the path into bushes, but at POP we encountered one about 8:00pm the first week of December. He was sitting outside a door of an end room near the Tramp elevator. Eeek!

What was different was that he was perfectly relaxed and sat up looking around....we walked to the other side of the building to go around it. First stomped our feet to see if it would run, but nope, just looked around.

I stopped by Guest Services to report our "sighting", but they kept saying it was probably a rabbit! Finally, I told them I'd lived in NYC and knew what a rat looked like!

I am terrified of rats, snakes all that stuff, but do not let it worry me during our trips. I am on the lookout, but not obsessed...at least we try not to be obsessed!!

My cousin is an emergency room doctor in Ft. Walton and he sees tons of patients who are bitten by the pygmy rattlers when gardening.
We've never seen a snake at WDW but we have seen a gator. My friend's daughter was bitten by a snake at CB. She was walking to the pool when it happened. She was rushed to the hospital and kept over night. The hospital was able to get the anti venom. They missed a couple of days at WDW but thank God the girl was ok.

See this is what terrifies me :scared1: My DD has enough health problems I don't need her being bit by some sneaky snake :scared:

I cant watch the Croc Hunter (RIP) when he does his show, I absolutley dont watch the "educational shows" about the slithering beasts....

And you know that movie SNAKES ON A PLANE? uh....NO THANK YOU! I cant even watch the TV commercials. :scared: hubby wants to rent it, so I politely told him I would let him have the livingroom DVD/Surround sound so he could watch it, and I would go put in a Disney Movie in our bedroom with the door SHUT, LOCKED, LATCHED AND A TOWEL TO COVER THE HOLE AT THE BOTTOM TO KEEP THE SNAKES OUT. :idea:

Its just a snake? NAW. ITS A SNAKE. PERIOD. :snooty:

I was an IDIOT and watched this movie. Ever seen those people on maury who will tample you when they bring out their phobias well, hello nice to meet you :lmao: that would be me. I watched this movie, and had to take off into the restroom. I puked and heaved it was bad. I could feel my stomach get sick like a weight had been dropped on it. I had nightmares for a couple of weeks and so help anything that brushed up against me without me seeing it first. I don't mean to be a big baby but seriously if something will REALLY scare me to death it will be that. I also don't do repltile houses at the zoos no way no how don't try it I will actually cry.:scared1:

One time while floating in an innertube at Blizzard Beach, a "stick" went floating by me....until that "stick" raised its head and then slithered on in front of me. I said something to the lifeguard and she said not to worry....that the snake is just trying to find a way out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter