I LOVE the podcast. But the in-park segments are awful.

Agreed. They are painful to watch.

If they want to continue the segments, they should refresh the concept. There has to be a PURPOSE for viewers to engage. That's Television 101.

So it could be as simple as Ryno and Oliver debating what's better - Dole Whip or Mickey Bar - and then revealing their choices live as enjoy the treat.

Or it could be a challenge given at the start of the show (like Man vs Food, for example) with a return appearance at the end to see if they achieved it.

Or it could be just educational, like Steve being at the Polynesian and explaining how the Beatles were officially disbanded by John Lennon there. Or Ryno at the Contemporary explaining how Nixon gave his I'm-Not-A-Crook speech there.

Maybe interview guests like a Disney historian.

Anyway, yes those segments need a major overhaul.

I like the concept but I feel they could be better executed. Like some other have said they are better when they are showing something new or something specific. When they are just in the park they aren't as good.

Add me to the list of people who feel the same way. There should be something specific in mind for these segments, such as visiting an attraction or maybe a QS spot that has just re-opened after a refurbishment and showing/commenting on the changes or upgrades. At the least, there's always new food items (particularly snacks) being introduced that could be shown and reviewed. That could always be the fallback.

I wouldn't say they're awful. Sometimes it seems like they don't have much to add, which happens (heck, it happened to me this morning when my bff called me). I still like hearing from the guys, but maybe having a little bit more specificity would aid the segment? I just don't want Ryno/Steve/Oliver to think we're hating on them, because we're not! :grouphug:

there's always new food items (particularly snacks) being introduced that could be shown and reviewed.
Also, there is always new merchandise coming out that could be highlighted. For example, they talked about the new Beauty and the Beast stuff at the store in Disney Springs. They could have their segment from that store showing some of the new stuff.

I agree that the segments could be much better. I think it's really a mix of several problems. The technology itself seems to be a little sketchy which oftentimes makes it difficult to hear or see properly. It also seems difficult for the team in the studio to interact with the guys very well which leads to them frequently talking over each other. I wish they were pre-recorded segments so that Ryno/Steve/Oliver could be in the studio for the show. I really miss their presence in the studio. I think they all offer very interesting takes on whatever topics are being discussed. I don't feel that these 5 minute live segments are worth not having the two of them in the studio for the show.

I like the live reports from the parks, the fact that they aren't necessarily doing something doesn't bother me. A lot of the time we spend in the parks is sometimes just hanging around, either deciding what to do, waiting for someone, or waiting for the next fastpass window to open! I'd hate to see them pre recorded, I think it'd lose something with the "live show" format they've got going on.
I'd actually like to see them advertise when they're in the parks, and maybe do a quick live meet up with some "fans".

I agree they need to have something to show, but it is only a 3 minute live segment which I like. Updates on construction or on wait times at a particular ride would be good. Make it like the weather lady they make stand outside in a blizzard just to update us on something. Heck, here's a list

Stand in front of the most popular rides entrance and give wait time

Stand outside of a ride that is down and speculate on what is happening or if there are any fatalities

Hit up the smoking areas and give a report on the conditions they have seen (oh the humanity)

Speculate on the wait for guest services

Rent a manual wheel chair and report on what it is like trying to get down Main Street and around gift shops

Approach the mairte de at a popular table service and ask how long the wait time is at 1:20 (Be Our Guest, Via Nappoli, 50's Prime Time ect.). Make it for a group of four, or twelve just for fun

Ask cast members what time a specific character arrives. I prefer asking about characters that don't or only rarely appear in that park. How would I know Maui doesn't appear in AK?

I loved @DisneyKingpin thought on Mickey bar vs Dolewhip live and a prerecorded dropin.

As an example, the new place that opened at Wilderness Lodge today would be the perfect place for them to be for the live segment tomorrow (ETA: you know...if there was going to be a show).

Last edited:
me). I still like hearing from the guys, but maybe having a little bit more specificity would aid the segment? I just don't want Ryno/Steve/Oliver to think we're hating on them, because we're not! :grouphug:
Never! LOVE them all, they do a fantastic job (I always sing their praises!!) just want them to be better at what they're already good at!!

As an example, the new place that opened at Wilderness Lodge today would be the perfect place for them to be for the live segment tomorrow (ETA: you know...if there was going to be a show).
Ask, and ye shall receive (besides there's another thread here, no show tomorrow, due to illness)

I'm in favor of any glimpse of Disney that I can get! I think the dining reviews are my favorite along with the visits to the park with a specific event in mind (i.e., Craig & Kylie doing the Arts Festival thing looking for Figment). But I'll take anything in the parks.

Referencing the suggestion above about talking to fans, when they did the Universal Mardi Gras clip a week or so ago, there were some fans that came up to them and they chatted. That was fun to watch.

I don't think it needs to be anything super in depth or anything, just have a bit of a plan organized:

"So Rivers of Light just opened to soft openings and I understand you guys are checking out some of the new merchandise available"

"Let's go to EPCOT where there is a new Totem pole up in Canada ... "

"The Dole Whip is one of the most popular snacks in Disney but some people prefer the Citrus Swirl. Steve and Oliver will compare the two and give their thoughts"

Stuff like that

I do like how it give a "just in time" look into the parks and the crowds, etc

I don't think it needs to be anything super in depth or anything, just have a bit of a plan organized:

"So Rivers of Light just opened to soft openings and I understand you guys are checking out some of the new merchandise available"

"The Dole Whip is one of the most popular snacks in Disney but some people prefer the Citrus Swirl. Steve and Oliver will compare the two and give their thoughts"

Stuff like that

Agree, well said!!

Stuff like that

Out of all of these, I like your first example regarding Rivers of Light the best - and think it would fit well with the formatting. The live in-park videos work best when Ryno/Steve/other people have content to add to a news story or Disney update, not just showing us the Tree of Life or crowd sizes.

They could even tie it into the thread of the week discussion if they wanted to. Say the thread up for discussion is where to best view the FoF parade - have Ryno and Steve in the Magic Kingdom and cut to them for discussing some of their favorite spots from said location. Even that would be (marginally) better than just random crowd shots and awkward silence.

I certainly don't hate the segments but I don't *love* them either.
The quality is sub-par. Shaky video, phone turning around, then back around again. Sharing earbuds. I'm sure the show can spring for earbuds for each of them so they don't have to share like a couple of teenagers.

If there is no reason to cut to the live shots, I'm more interested in what's going on in the studio. Sometimes it just seems like shenanigans for the studio crew to mock and the boots on the ground outside have no idea why everyone is laughing or what they are supposed to be doing. All of the team has a lot of talent. I think live segments could be awesome if they were well planned and specific.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter