I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s still almost $4,000 for a family of 4... just on tickets. We were able to get APs this year by using URs to soften the blow. Officially priced out.

It does look kind of crazy, but we get UT tickets to price bridge, then we got about 40 days/ticket so the price per day wasn't bad. Our touring has changed and we only do about 6hrs in the park. More time in the lazy river.

We can’t afford those either. Chicago Blackhawks tickets start around $150 pp for SRO. DS is a huge fan but really it’s either that or a vacation. We bought AHL hockey tix instead. Still fun, just not quite the same.

Yeah I don’t go much to sports games. I’d have loved to be a season ticket holder for the Knicks or Yankees but it’s just too expensive. Sometimes you can get last minute “deals” I’m scared of heights so I try to sit in the lower section for under $100. Also, look into College teams. Chicago has a few good division 1 schools and tickets aren’t normally expensive. I know the division 1 school I went to used to have specials like if you brought a toy for a holiday toy drive you got a “free” ticket.

My 100k MRs from the Biz Plat posted today, two days after I made the qualifying charge (a Plastiq payment).

Those big Amex MSRs are no fun, and I had three of them ($5k Hilton Biz, $10k Biz Plat, and $5k SPG Lux) overlapping at some point, as well as the $3k MSR on the Marriott Premier Plus. We have my wife's CIU MSR to work on next, but we'll throw next month's expenses on it and that should take care of that. I'm thinking we'll try to have my wife apply for the Amex Gold again in November, and hopefully the pop up will be gone. I've been trying to rehabilitate her account by putting spend on her Amex cards. And maybe I'll try for the BBP.

Edited: Biz Plat MSR was $10k. :faint:

Last edited:

I got an email offer for my SW card, spend $4000 to get 2000 bonus points. Ummm, that doesn’t seem like a very good deal! No thanks. I haven’t put any spend on that card in forever. Even my SW fees I put on my CSR.
Agree with you...I’d want a lot more points than that for a $4,000 spend

All this talk about Disney tickets and APs prompted me to see how much it would cost for APs for the 4 of us... $3,808! BUT... if we went in Sept 2019 for 3 days, and then did two short trips or one longer trip in 2020, we’d more than break even.

This is always my justification for APs ... if we only take 2 trips we will break-even. Then we end up taking 6 trips in a year! Not sure how much we save at that point, but it sure is fun to be there for all the different seasons.

Not to get anyone's hopes up but I've been following along a few comments on r/churning about the dip-that-shall-not-be-named possibly still living in a modified form. This still seems bizarre so I wouldn't take it as gospel yet, but if you get approved for one flavor of Sapphire on one day, then apply for the other flavor the next day it may stick. I still think this is weird that it's not getting hung up on the "one sapphire" rule but couple DP's recently that it's still working. It probably may not work to get around 5/24 (as in getting 2 cards at 4/24) but who knows? Not sure why this is working at all for these handful of brave souls.

For those interested, follow up DP from today: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/9oxmol/daily_discussion_thread_october_17_2018/e7y8fd6/
Rabbit hole of posts backing this strategy: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/9obcbt/daily_question_thread_october_15_2018/e7tapbh/

Unclear if it's worth the risk at this point for Sapphire/SW cards but I'm curious so I'll try to follow along. While everything in the churning world has the potential to be YMMV anyway, I still really wouldn't bank on this just yet. (just, ya know, toy with your emotions a bit first :p)

My 100k MRs from the Biz Plat posted today, two days after I made the qualifying charge (a Plastiq payment).

Those $5k Amex MSRs are no fun, and I had three of them (Hilton Biz, Biz Plat, SPG Lux) overlapping at some point, as well as the $3k MSR on the Marriott Premier Plus. We have my wife's CIU MSR to work on next, but we'll throw next month's expenses on it and that should take care of that. I'm thinking we'll try to have my wife apply for the Amex Gold again in November, and hopefully the pop up will be gone. I've been trying to rehabilitate her account by putting spend on her Amex cards. And maybe I'll try for the BBP.

For some reason I thought the Biz Plat was a 10K MSR which is why we were holding back on that one. If it's 5K it's much more appealing.

Fair warning about this - I made FPs for 7DMT and PP during our MVMCP day. I did what I read online; booking all of my other days first and then doing the MVMCP last. Today I got an email from Disney that I didn't have sufficient tickets for my FPs. They said they would cancel the last day of FPs - which for us is AK. So I cancelled my MVMCP FPs today :(. It was kind of scary because the email said the FPs would be cancelled on 9/27/18. I'll be upset if they cancel my FOP FP.

It's annoying because I had a CM tell me on the phone that it was allowed to book FPs the day of the Christmas party! Sounds like YMMV with this. Disney needs to get it straight!

Weird!! Yeah I’ll keep an eye out. I would be really irritated if they did that, since we’re apparently going on a busy weekend and a lot of stuff is gone already.

Welcome to the club? haha, ive been pretty disneyed out. sometimes i wonder what im still doing on the a disney board haha. I do enjoy the new stuff though. but if you tell me to go in there regularly, i just cant do it.

Im a person who also want to go to Dubai and check out the sheer technology that place has built up. I watch a lot of youtube and have been pinning a lot of places to go visit there. Considering stopping in Dubai for a couple of days and then head to my final destination at some ocean destination is my idea. (ie Maldives, etc)
watching some youtube vlogs, lots of rules about going with a SO though, no kissing in public, no hugging in public... etc. scare thought. haha.

I don't think I will ever be Disneyed out. We go a lot but mostly enjoy the atmosphere and being away on a short escape that doesn't require much planning if it is just the two of us.

That will be the weird and likely hardest part about visiting Dubai for us. Even after nearly 22 years of marriage DH and I still hold hands and give each other impromptu hugs and kisses. We will need to make a conscious effort to refrain from that.

Those $5k Amex MSRs are no fun, and I had three of them (Hilton Biz, Biz Plat, SPG Lux) overlapping at some point, as well as the $3k MSR on the Marriott Premier Plus. We have my wife's CIU MSR to work on next, but we'll throw next month's expenses on it and that should take care of that. I'm thinking we'll try to have my wife apply for the Amex Gold again in November, and hopefully the pop up will be gone. I've been trying to rehabilitate her account by putting spend on her Amex cards. And maybe I'll try for the BBP.

party:

Ok OUCH! That's a lotta spend. Well done! Crossing fingers for no pop ups!

I'm sitting on a stash with no definite plans for where to use them. But those 8/26 rules and FOMO, you know?

I know.

That’s still almost $4,000 for a family of 4... just on tickets. We were able to get APs this year by using URs to soften the blow. Officially priced out.

And I was feeling overwhelmed when I had to spend $1200 a few years back for 4 AP's.

Opened 10/16/17, upgraded to Premier Plus Sept 2018, 10k upgrade bonus posted 10/01/18, and free night posted on the exact anniversary of 10/16/18. Also has a negative $95 balance for the AF refund, so no idea what's up with that. Guessing the real AF will post soon.

This is very interesting and just the info I was looking for.

EDIT: Found it - DVC renewal went from $500 to $517 for Gold Pass. Not great, but could be worse all things considered. Thinking we'll probably buy those as soon as we can (middle of December).

I spent almost $4k buying tickets before a price increase a few years back. Now they are almost priceless to me. I'm going to finish off the annual passes first and then move to the no expiry as I get older. Meanwhile I'll still be buying tickets to help my daughter with the grandchildren. First one turns three dec 31 this year, so our November trip will be free for them. Daughter and I both have an annual pass that doesn't expire until January. I have a trip planned for just before expiration.

Last edited:
Today I have been to the doctor, to the Social Security office and to the grocery store. Doctor about my hearing - audiologist says it's a medical problem so back to ENT next week. Medicare denied payment of my doctor bills, so hopefully that's fixed after my visit to SS. Somehow my name got scrambled.

At least I'm not hungry cause I ended my errands by buying groceries.

Then I started reading about people being disney'ed out and the new cost of AP's and I'm absolutely thankful to be going to Disney in 2 weeks and don't have to buy tickets.

I get the priced out and disney'ed out. It is expensive. And, I've had the disney'ed out trips. What brings it back for me is time away and the fun of having new people with me - grandchildren. And once I get home and winter is all around me, I just want to go back.

I don't think I will ever be Disneyed out. We go a lot but mostly enjoy the atmosphere and being away on a short escape that doesn't require much planning if it is just the two of us.

That will be the weird and likely hardest part about visiting Dubai for us. Even after nearly 22 years of marriage DH and I still hold hands and give each other impromptu hugs and kisses. We will need to make a conscious effort to refrain from that.

One of many reasons why Dubai didn't make the very long list of places we want to visit. But that's ok, since the list is long and our ability to earn points (and dollars) isn't good enough to meet what we already want to see. Nonetheless, I'm really excited to hear about your trip!

Oops. Sorry, yes, it was $10k. :faint:

Oh, and I was soooooooooooo hoping I was wrong there. That's a big spend, large enough that I won't feel comfortable adding that to other MSRs that we already have. I don't want this to be any more stressful than it has to be. As for DL being so crowded - I don't get it - school seems to be "in" over here from what I can tell. DD is home for Fall break, but that's because she goes to school on the east coast and Columbus Day is a bigger deal over there from what I can tell. I'm considering all of this since I didn't realize it would be an issue when I booked that short cruise. We just thought it might be fun to combine a couple of days at DL with a short DCL trip in October.

DH was approved for the CSP this morning....with a crazy high (to me anyway)credit limit....will definitely be lowering it prior to his next application

I was a little nervous about applying since it’s just over a month since his CIC....but all went well..it’s showing up on his Chase account and I SM asking for it to be expedited....not sure if it’s possible but we will see
CONGRATS!! I know I’m late to the party today...actually had to go out on sales calls LOL!

I decided to use some of my URs to book activities for our Thanksgiving London/paris trip with our 3 boys. I booked an urban jungle tour to check out the street art in London, I booked an Eiffel Tower photo shoot and an e-bike tour through Paris. Trying to decide if we should book the London Eye and if we do if we need the skip the line pass. Its $150 for a regular ticket and more than $200 for skip the line for the 5 of us. Seems so expensive for a 30 minute ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter